Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

14-Inch MacBook Pro With Mini-LED Display Expected to Enter Production in 2021

vionc

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
Face ID is the last thing I want on a laptop. I keep my camera covered 99% of the time for privacy issues (and required my by employer).

You can always tape over it. Lots of people would find great value in it.

If you have your camera covered anyway, there is no change at all to you

Comment

vionc

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
Yes but that defeats the purpose of having it — my point is that Touch ID is better for a laptop.

Yeah I guess you can make that argument. Personally, Im drooling at the thought of me getting up from my desk, my mac auto locks and auto unlocks when I come back. Opening the lid and you're instantly logged in, not a single touch required etc...

Also, you don't really have the issues of "not being in range" for Face ID as happens with the iPhone sometimes.
A Macbook almost always sits in a similar spot in relation to your face. Orientation problems don't really happen... I think it could really be a great experience

Last edited:
Comment

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yes but that defeats the purpose of having it — my point is that Touch ID is better for a laptop.
Again facetime is v hard to crack both the soft and hardware and even then you had to acces the led to turn it off for the user not be aware that you hack it, now with faceid based on arm chip and secured enclaved its just almost impossible
I don’t see why for laptop toucid is more important than on an imac for example
Faceid needs to come thanks to arm and integrated t2 chip

Comment

MallardDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
I hope we get clear guidance from Apple on which models are the 'last Intel based Macs'. That's the one I'll buy, and then sit tight for a few years.

Reactions: Zammir
Comment

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
Face ID is the last thing I want on a laptop. I keep my camera covered 99% of the time for privacy issues (and required my by employer).
Why do people cover their webcams on laptops but not their phones? Particularly with the T2 Macs I think the webcams are at least as secure as on smartphones.

Comment

MallardDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Again facetime is v hard to crack both the soft and hardware and even then you had to acces the led to turn it off for the user not be aware that you hack it, now with faceid based on arm chip and secured enclaved its just almost impossible
I don’t see why for laptop toucid is more important than on an imac for example
Faceid needs to come thanks to arm and integrated t2 chip

Neither is secure enough by itself for a computer IMHO - both can be spoofed. Apple needs to make a biometric+PIN (something you are, something you know) option for login.
[automerge]1594226458[/automerge]
Why do people cover their webcams on laptops but not their phones? Particularly with the T2 Macs I think the webcams are at least as secure as on smartphones.

Because the phone is most often in a pocket, not pointed right at your face.

It's a much bigger threat on Windows/Linux than on MacOS, but still best practice.

Comment

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Lol. So, this would be interesting.

Let’s say: Apple updates the 13-inch to ARM in Fall 2020, then releases the 14-inch with mini-led / Face ID / Improved webcam but with intel processors. Which one are y’all getting?

Comment

incoherent_1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2016

Computer webcams are facing the room and therefore can see the majority of what’s taking place. Conversely, phones are looking up and see very little (and are often shoved into impeded corners).

Further: people working in secure environments aren’t allowed to take their phones in to begin with.

Comment

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Neither is secure enough by itself for a computer IMHO - both can be spoofed. Apple needs to make a biometric+PIN (something you are, something you know) option for login.
[automerge]1594226458[/automerge]

Because the phone is most often in a pocket, not pointed right at your face.

It's a much bigger threat on Windows/Linux than on MacOS, but still best practice.
Again if you see the mac incription you need to hack the dfu to take faceid into account that is under security enclave and for that you need to have access physically to that mac..is not windows pc, where you dont need to hack bios , there is no separate security arm cip, not to mention intels cpu last generation leaks on the chip
But if you work at nasa or something like that , you dont use macs or win pc

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Let’s say: Apple updates the 13-inch to ARM in Fall 2020, then releases the 14-inch with mini-led / Face ID / Improved webcam but with intel processors. Which one are y’all getting?

I am not in the market for an Apple laptop, but if I was, I'd probably get the Apple Silicon model.

Comment

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

Apple is most likely saving the new form factors for Apple Silicon (AS) chips. The new form factor will be a way to entice reluctant purchasers of AS-powered computers.

Comment

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012

I don’t think either of those things will happen.

Very doubtful that there will be any redesigns with Intel inside.

Reactions: vionc
Comment

AceFernalld

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I really would've thought they would've added ARM + the new 14" form factor and min-LED all at once, but it sounds like they'll just be slapping an ARM chip in the 13" MBP this fall, then changing it to 14" next year. I'm gonna have to wait for the 14" (or the 16" if it comes out at the same time).

Comment

soyazul

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
My current rig is a 2019 13” with a Vega 64 eGPU. Love it. This would be my next jump but I very much have concerns about thunderbolt on ARM Macs. If I can’t use my eGPU I will be hesitant to jump.

thundebolt 3 in now license free in the form of USB 4, so no problem... The concern will be in the future. Apple will have to develop their own new gen ports or pay INTEL for license future thunderbolts
[automerge]1594229748[/automerge]
The new s class took so much from apple faceid and software removing the burn-in oled screen tech

are you talking about Mercedes Benz or SAMSUNG hahahahah?

Comment

ph001bi

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2015
London

I'll wait for 14 inch. I didn't jump on the new 13 inch MBP earlier this year as I wanted 14 inch. I can wait a year for the right laptop.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.