Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

14-Inch MacBook Pro With Mini-LED Display Expected to Enter Production in 2021

Wags

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
First quarter as in March 2021 ? Yeah, I will definitely upgrade to the 16" MBP Apple Silicon when its released.
Doesn’t really clarify if bidding starts first quarter or that’s when possibly released. If bidding might not be released until 3rd quarter 2021 at least.

Comment

Voyageur

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2019
Moscow, Russia
Does this mean that the use of the mini-LED standard will mean higher image quality than the Pro Display XDR? The standard requires a larger number of backlight zones per inch, about 2 times more than Pro XDR.

Comment

ph001bi

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2015
London
Does this mean that the use of the mini-LED standard will mean higher image quality than the Pro Display XDR? The standard requires a larger number of backlight zones per inch, about 2 times more than Pro XDR.
240 dimming zones for 17 inch on the MSI laptop versus 576 for 32 inch on the Apple XDR, that means 14.11 zone per inch on the MSI laptop and 18 per inch on the XDR. There isn't a defined number of dimming zones in the mini led format.
Image quality has more to do with brightness and the ability to reproduce colours well. it's possible that a mini led display will do a better job than the XDR but not due to the number of dimming zones.

Reactions: kazmac and Voyageur
Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
They aren't going to be called MacBooks IMO. They are going to be called :apple:Books, or potentially something different. Keep in mind:
  • PowerBook when we were on PowerPC
  • MacBook when we were on Intel.
  • :apple:Book for Apple Silicon?
It would also unify some of their branding. :apple:TV, :apple:Watch, :apple:Book.

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The issue with an :apple: Book is that could be confusing with the "Apple Books" reader app (which while the icon says "Books", the marketing uses "Apple Books" -https://www.apple.com/apple-books/

Reactions: kazmac
Comment

MallardDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Again if you see the mac incription you need to hack the dfu to take faceid into account that is under security enclave and for that you need to have access physically to that mac..is not windows pc, where you dont need to hack bios , there is no separate security arm cip, not to mention intels cpu last generation leaks on the chip
But if you work at nasa or something like that , you dont use macs or win pc

You're talking about hacking vs spoofing. Spoofing is a completely different kind of compromise, and much easier to accomplish.

Comment

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
They need to make a thicker display then..

If the display were any thinner, it might disappear. A little thickness might add some robustness.

And will end up having an ARM processor 😢

Ditto. i had hoped for this but with AMD. It'll be beautiful, but I doubt I'll own one.

Face ID is the last thing I want on a laptop. I keep my camera covered 99% of the time for privacy issues (and required my by employer).

Apple needs to take a page from Lenovo and add a physical shutter. Problem solved.

Comment

MallardDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
I don’t think either of those things will happen.

Very doubtful that there will be any redesigns with Intel inside.

Yup, I expect speed bumps at the very most

What's going to suck is if we get only some bumps this fall, but not across the product line. Then no word on if more are coming. And a whole new iteration of apple silicon machines that are awesome, but have to run 100% of our code on Rosetta - given how long it took vendors to move to 64-bit, I expect to have issues with performance/compatibility for a long long time. And a ton of software simply will never port and have to be abandoned (there goes the rest of my mac game library).

Last edited:
Reactions: Spungoflex
Comment

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Please add Face ID as well. that would be great. oh forgot. for god sakes. put in a decent 1080p webcam!

10,000+ on the webcam. This is not 2001
[automerge]1594235897[/automerge]
Yes but that defeats the purpose of having it — my point is that Touch ID is better for a laptop.

They are not mutually exclusive. Windows computers have both. No reason a mac could not do the same

Comment

vionc

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
They aren't going to be called MacBooks IMO. They are going to be called :apple:Books, or potentially something different. Keep in mind:
It would also unify some of their branding. :apple:TV, :apple:Watch, :apple:Book.

IMO that sounds horrible. Reminds me of the old clamshell plastic iBooks.... I don't know, :apple:Book just has a very old-timey ring to me.

Which doesn't mean they won't do it. I also thought macOS Rincon would sound way cooler than Big Sur, but oh well I bet they have smarter people than me making such decisions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

whatta

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2017
What about the 11” iPad Pro? When will it get A14X and miniled?

Comment

glowplug

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2017
Honestly, it’s annoying the 13-inch MBP didn’t get the same update as the 15-inch. I’m glad there are future plans for a 14-inch, but meanwhile this 13-inch screen is getting lame.

Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
IMO that sounds horrible. Reminds me of the old clamshell plastic iBooks.... I don't know, :apple:Book just has a very old-timey ring to me.

Which doesn't mean they won't do it. I also thought macOS Rincon would sound way cooler than Big Sur, but oh well I bet they have smarter people than me making such decisions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree AppleBook doesn't really roll off the tongue, but Apple has made worse marketing decisions. MacOS BS comes to mind. iPad as well.

Reactions: vionc
Comment

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
The faster these come out, the faster the second gen come out (the one I want to buy). My MacBook pro from 2015 is looking dated, but still runs smoothly. Just gotta hold out for that. Same case with a new large iMac. I don't want gen 1 of apple silicon, but I'm all in for gen 2.

Comment

Woochoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
That 14" looks like to be the next computer i will buy. It as to have arm. I do not care that much about cpu power as i am sure it will have enough for me but i hope the graphics will be a step up from Intel's integrated.

You'll be happy then, as the A12Z's GPU is already better than the top of the line Intel iGPU. The ARM that comes in that MBP will have a way beefier GPU and CPU than a fanless tablet SoC from 2018 (technically the A12Z is just an A12X with more enabled GPU cores).

About the faceID comments, I don't care if that's included as I cover the camera, I just hope they don't get rid of TouchID

Comment

Tech_Mac_Man

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2018
Toronto, ON
Honestly if Apple has the same SIZED BEZEL's as from 2016 then it would be so sad...They really need to look into the Apple design team...Look at Dell's 13" & 15" 17" XPS line up...Those Laptops have barely any bezels...Apple step up the game for once...Don't give us a HALF ASS THICK BEZEL screen with 720p again....

Comment

iDron

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
And will end up having an ARM processor 😢

Dude, according to Geekbench, my iPhone 11 is faster than my 2015 MBP in all categories, and there has not been much progress in the performance of entry-level MacBooks in recent years.

Apple showed they can upscale their own silicon with the A12X and A12Z, which are close to double as powerful as the A12.

The current iPad Pro in fact is about as fast as the current 13" MBP with the best CPU for 2200USD. So just putting an A14Z or however they will call it into the MBP can potentially make it into an absolute beast.

Comment

Catman8976

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2019
PowerBooks also had m68k CPUs back in the early 90s.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.