Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, we noted that documents filed as part of the ongoing lawsuit between Apple and Samsung had revealed a few images of early iPhone prototype designs, including some that revealed similar design to what ultimately appeared years later as the iPhone 4/4S.

AllThingsD has now put together a gallery of dozens of images from the court documents showing even more of Apple's ideas for the iPhone and iPad.
Among the many filings on Saturday was a document with dozens of sketches and prototypes for both the iPhone and iPad. Some had already been included in earlier filings, but Saturday's collection was particularly extensive.

The filing features a host of sketches, images from computer-aided design programs, and photographs of actual models that Apple fabricated as part of its design process.
iphone_prototype_views_1.jpg

iphone_prototype_views_2.jpg

Among the concepts that had previously surfaced was a series from Apple's Shin Nishibori, whose early Sony-inspired designs were immediately leapt upon by Samsung as evidence that Apple had copied the iPhone design from earlier innovators. But as noted by The Verge, additional prototypes dating even further back show that Apple had the iPhone aesthetic well in hand even before the Sony-inspired designs were created as a side project.
"Purple" dates back to August 2005 -- months before the Jony prototype was originally designed. According to the documents, Shin Nishibori's Sony-style touches were simply "an 'enjoyable' side project," embellishments on a concept Apple had already designed. The documents contend that Purple remained free of the alleged Sony inspirations, ultimately giving birth to the iPhone in 2006 (and looking decidedly like the iPhone 4).
purple_iphone_prototype.jpg

AllThingsD is keeping a close eye on all of the trial developments, with Ina Fried tweeting from the courthouse today to provide updates on important developments in the high-profile case.

Article Link: More Early iPhone and iPad Prototype Designs Surface in Samsung Trial Documents

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Interesting to see that Apple tried and rejected that two-tone back that we're seeing now ...

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Litigation into stagnation?

I really do fear designs will slow to a relative crawl if these actions continue between the big players.

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
I think the iPod mini inspired designs were kinda cool... then again, I'd still buy an iPod mini today. I loved the design of that little thing!

Also, lots of prototypes where the audio jack is on the side of the device.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Not so fast with that statement, the one prototype looks like the current "fake iphone" floating around.

ehh maybe with the two tone back idea, but its rounded and has thick boarders top and bottom, and looks like 2 halves of plastic though...

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
i feel like i'm seeing the same rumors every week.

1. tall iphone part leaks
2. ipad mini

:confused:

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Looks like Sony should sue both of them.

Alternatively, the industry obviously had a pretty good idea these high quality touch screen PDA-phone hybrids (later called by the smartphone we them by) were on their way and there weren't that many ways to do such a device.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I love seeing all of these prototypes, such a rare glimpse into apple's design process. I'm also surprised at how ugly some are. It makes me appreciate the beauty of the final product and apple's ability to see it through.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Apple: Samsung copied us
Samsung: you copied Sony

Thats perfect :D

I'm not getting involved in the "whether or not" part of Apple suing, just commenting that part of the spectacle does look a little playground-ish.

I'd kill for video of the respective lawyers sticking their tongues out at each other in court....with a judge wagging the "no no no" finger...

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
I love seeing all of these prototypes, such a rare glimpse into apple's design process. I'm also surprised at how ugly some are. It makes me appreciate the beauty of the final product and apple's ability to see it through.

I can imagine designers going to jony and being shut down over and over.

NO.
NO.
NO.
NO.
NO.

And finally, we get a Yes, this is what we were looking for.

and then production begins! :)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
i feel like i'm seeing the same rumors every week.

1. tall iphone part leaks
2. ipad mini

:confused:

Except you are replying to a thread that is discussing old iPhone prototypes with regards to their lawsuits with Samsung's recent offerings. Not the same as current iPhone Prototype leaks we are seeing online in recent news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.