15 reasons for not upgrading from iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tanboom, Mar 23, 2012.

1. tanboom macrumors member

This is to open a healthy debate. Please remember, its not to hurt anyone who doesn't agree with me or who are apple fanboy/ fangirl. Your thoughts are highly appreciated :)

1. Same design but fatter and heavier - 50 g heavier than iPad 2 and 30 g lighter than iPad. What a retrograde style, amazing !!!

2. 4G won't work outside US - so its an incomplete 4G device but you have to pay same price even you get 3G only speed in your country!

3. Battery is huge which takes more time to charge. The feature (4G) that is backed up by this huge battery does'nt work in Europe. So you carry extra weight (and spend more time and electricity) for nothing !

4. Its dual-core (tricky) processor, anyway. Cant be as fast as quad-core for example, Tegra 3.

5. Camera in most cases is useless but nice to have. You still fight in low light conditions. May be Apple is hoping someone will bring flash with 30-pin connector for iPad. They (want to make us) love to carry end numbers of accessories

6. Front camera is s(h)ame. Apple dont want someone see blackheads on your face!

6. Give me one example of tablet with mono (single) speakers. iPad really stands out here!

7. Old cases (that are body-fitting) becomes obselote.

8. Adding a portfolio case to new ipad becomes almost the same weight as ultrabook, for example, MBA 11.

9. Retina Display is gorgeous but not always practical requirement. The texts will become sharper but anyway you have to zoom to avoid eye strain for reading small texts (and large texts are pretty readable), same what you do with iPad 2. Now, app size is increasing and Apply s(t)ick to 64 GB at most.

10. If you are business people (do work with office files, send email with multiple attachments and transfer files between other devices very often), you still have to rely on other tablet/PC.

11. Still no higher (external) storage option

12. Most videos and picture need to be scaled up

13. Low brightness and contrast (than iPad 2)

14. Low-heat Cooking plate

15. Amount of pluses are much less than the what you compromise for retina display.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My position is that if you don't want the new iPad don't buy one. if you want one, then get one.

There's lots of posts here of very satisfied users and given that apple sold millions of them in a short time period indicates that there were more reasons to buy them then not.

Don't like it, don't buy it. Simple :)

3. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Sounds like you're trying to justify reasons as to not upgrade.. Does it make you feel better?

Once you work with the new resolution, you can't go back.

Don't want an iPad3? Don't go see the screen, trust me.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Lucky for me I have a 1 huh?

Luckily i live in the US and can't afford to travel. Of course, isn't 4G lacking outside of the US anyway?

If the battery JUST was for the 4G - wouldn't the wifi version have an insane battery life? The screen is what is taking the juice...

The camera wasn't a draw for me on the 2. I can't see using it much...

Thank God for that - because hi-res blackheads are UGLY!

This would be nice.

To which the case manufactures say, "THANK YOU" to Apple.

The difference becomes when you take that case OFF and use it curled up in bed to read a book at a funky angle in the dark. The MBA won't do that well.

I have over-40 eyes... i'm sure my eyes will appreciate the extra pixels. I know i read my iPhone 4 easier without my glasses than my iPad1.

So what. I have to do my online classes on another computer too.

128 would be nice, but i've just reached 32 on my 1 being a limit, so maybe 64 will be ok?

So would a MBA. My iPhone4 gets hot too.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't get the need people feel to rationalize why they are not upgrading from iPad 2. It's really no big deal either way. Those who upgrade do so because they like the new features and those who are unmoved will keep their iPad 2. But please don't trash the new iPad (some of it with misleading statements) to make it look like you made a "smart" choice. You made a rational choice based on your own needs and spending preference. That's all.

Me, for example, loved my iPad 2, now love my iPad 3 w/ LTE, Retina even more. (Retina = less eye strain when reading). No regrets here.

6. chewball22 macrumors newbie

I loved my 3GS until I got the retina display. Going back would suck. Just got the new iPad and the display is SPECTACULAR. Anything less when you know this is out there would bother me, but that's just me!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed hence my post :)

Its your money, don't want what the new iPad has to offer then don't buy it.

For the record while I think it has a nice impressive list of features, I'm not upgrading. I have money saved for a new MBP which I need more then a new iPad. To each his own

8. aristobrat, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, the bold items below are the newer, faster international cellular data capabilities in the new iPad that aren't present in the iPad 2.

iPad 2:
    UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

The new iPad:
    4G LTE (700 MHz);
    CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz);
    UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

9. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

"I can't afford it so this is why it sucks..." :p

10. wharzhee macrumors 6502

lol. talkin abt the retina display, i was on my bed having a marvel at the screen last night..
    i took a look at the screen really close, and it looked quite fuzzy.. lol! i wish it had packed as many pixel as the iphone.

lol. i know. im asking for too much.
    i need my ipad2, which i sold off, to know how good my ipad3 is. haha

oh yea, and btw, most people who give themselves reasons not to get an ipad2, just cant afford them.
    these include fandroid people to satisfy their many reasons than getting an ipad.
    its quite irritating and boring..

i mean, why bother to reason it out? unless u actually wanted one.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

the op has a point: the ipad 3 won't be a worthwhile upgrade for some people. reading the criticisms, i thought it's like selling a 60 inch flat screen high-def tv to someone who watches vhs movies.

meh.

as for me, i sold the ipad 2 for a nice price, the upgrade didn't cost much, and now i have one of the most beautiful displays I have ever seen. Wow, what a difference, and my major trade-off seems to be an imperceptible weight gain. lol. OK!

nothing wrong with the ipad 2, and it's cool if the op doesn't want to upgrade, but i can't imagine myself going back :)

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

You can say whatever you want about the iPad, I don't care. But the complaint about the new one being thicker? It's a little over a HALF MILLIMETER. Have you looked at that on a ruler? If not, I suggest you do. And I hope that when you do, you feel ridiculous for even listing that as a reason not to upgrade.

Let me repeat--a little over a half millimeter. Not centimeter. Millimeter. It's so negligible that most old snap on cases still seem to fit the new iPad.

13. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Same here. The money I got for my iPad 2, coupled with an unexpected reimbursement check I hadn't budgeted for made the upgrade easy.

The weight gain is more noticeable to me, because I went from a WiFi iPad 2 to a 4G iPad.

14. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

When people start threads like this they are seeking attention and eager to argue their points. We should just ignore them and let him stare at his computer all day anxiously awaiting to pound away on his keyboard.

15. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Dang it, I wish I'd thought of all of this. I'm returning my new iPad, and I'm going to nail the 15 Reasons to Apple's front door. :rolleyes:

16. wharzhee macrumors 6502

is their door made of glass?

17. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm not sure what you hope to achieve from this thread. You started off all nice but then your reasoning looks like an attack.

I'm love my new iPad by the way.

18. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Yes, but I thought that taping it to the door didn't sound as good as nailing. :D

I guess I'll just keep my new iPad. :)

19. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I don't know why there are so many responses critical of the OP's intentions in making this thread. Unless I missed something, he/she doesn't even state which if any iPad he/she owns. This thread isn't about rationalization, it's about discussion. I for one sold my iPad 1, bought an iPad 3, and am seriously considering returning it and picking up a refurb iPad 2 at a great discount. I appreciate discussion in threads like this, and I'm sure other people do too.

20. Roy Hobbs, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

This should have been #1 on the list

21. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

1 mm thicker and about 50g more just is unbearable. I think I will have to chop my arm off and get a robotic arm so my body can accommodate for this extra weight. /sarcasm

With all due respect, people just seem to be taking the thickness and weight for granted. I have lifted both the iPad 2 and 3 for the first time and in the beginning I did notice a huge difference (that was 3 days ago at my Best Buy). I went again 2 days ago and I could not tell the difference between the weight. They both seemed equal. I swear if Apple increased the thickness by 0.5mm and maybe added 1 gram, people would say it's too heavy... It's how we roll.

No offense OP, this isn't anything opposed to your post. It's a matter of opinion, which I respect BTW. Yours is why we shouldn't upgrade and mine is why thickness and weight are just negligible factors to consider when talking about the ipad 2 vs 3.
    I would understand if it was something extreme, and quite noticeable. but when we have both people arguing that they could tell the weight diff. vs. not being able to tell the weight difference- it just seems like we shouldn't take it into account.

EDIT: I just re-read my post, and it does seem like I am saying that heaviness and thickness doesn't matter, but what i am saying is it matters to the extent by which we can tell a significant difference, not by which we have two equally opposing sides which states that it is / it isn't noticeable.

As for the heat, the 4X graphics card, and running at 100% brightness is going to cause some lovely heat. I think it's remarkable that the heat is just "warm" without a fan.

Other than those- the rest are top notch! Great list :)

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It's not even 1 mm, it's .6 of a mm!!!! If you look at that on a ruler, you realize that it's not even worth complaining about. Small compromise for such improved functionality.

23. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

Well you can add to the list that you will be able to buy the 64gb 4g model next year for less than $500 (I just bought a 64gb verizon Ipad 2 for $460).

24. poloboogie macrumors member

Tanboom you would have been better off creating a thread asking for donations if you can not afford one, but not to worry just wait till next march they'll drop the price and boom you've got an ipad 3

25. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

The new ipad has only been out a week. When the ipad 2 came out the same arguments happen oh you don't need to upgrade to the ipad 2 you wont use the cameras. After a few months the ipad2 was clearly a good upgrade and people will say the same thing about the new ipad. when a game is developed that can't be played on the ipad2.