15 reasons for not upgrading from iPad 2

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Is this post informing us of your life choices? I don't understand. Genuinely. If you were stating you had problems with an iPad 3 for example, and got frustrated with the constant swapping. That may qualify for a post like this. But with regards to your original I don't think anyone cares. It doesn't matter if you choose Colgate over aqua fresh tooth paste.

I think this post would have more meaning if say you were an established blogger with experience throughout the tech industry. But you are average joe, just like us all. We all have a mind for ourselves to make our own decisions without needing someone's OK to purchase a product.

I think the responses you've received today is also due to the fact that they're a few of these threads, just add your experience to the 100s already listed sir.

JadedBen

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Essex, UK
Yes, its bid deal when ipad 2 is already heavy. Are'nt we supposed to get lighter with upgrade
Really? Where is that written in stone? The 4s is heavier than the 4, whilst still under Jobs' watch, yet people still lived and bought it without complaint?

You are so smart!!!

How do you know that, you can't see me? Wait, I'm guessing you're not referring to my attire & appearance and ment I'm so intelligent... with sarcastic undertones.. well, you took the bait, so..

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
An incredible post

Why do people do this!? :confused: If you have 15 reasons, I repeat, 15 reasons why "you" wouldn't upgrade do you really need to post it on a public forum.
Is not discussion and making one's meanings known and discussed one of the main reason to have a forum like this and to contribute to it as is done?!

Or is it an internal fanclub that has little or no tolerance of critical points of view?

Really, in a deep way, such a post as the quoted is next to being incredible - and totalitarian.

And there are BTW many more of the same kind and attitude, even one by one of the moderators, who therefore cannot have a sound idea of his role and of the intention of a forum.

LocoStrange

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
I agree that the big battery is pathetic. I mean, the thing is rated at 10 hours right? So after 10 hours, it should be drained. Yet, I get more than 10 hours out of my iPad...that is pathetically weak, Apple... just WEAK!

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Sounds like you're trying to justify reasons as to not upgrade.. Does it make you feel better?

Once you work with the new resolution, you can't go back.

Don't want an iPad3? Don't go see the screen, trust me.
Once you go new ipad, you ain't going back...

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
OP has 15 reasons not to upgrade when I only needed one reason to upgrade: retina.

Eves apple

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
I'm not upgrading as the "new iPad" isn't enough of a change from the "old iPad" 2 in this case, don't need a list of reasons or excuses, don't feel I need to justify it to the internet or myself.
See you next year.

tanboom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Is not discussion and making one's meanings known and discussed one of the main reason to have a forum like this and to contribute to it as is done?!

Or is it an internal fanclub that has little or no tolerance of critical points of view?

Really, in a deep way, such a post as the quoted is next to being incredible - and totalitarian.

And there are BTW many more of the same kind and attitude, even one by one of the moderators, who therefore cannot have a sound idea of his role and of the intention of a forum.
Well said, thanks!:D

elmz

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008

What is it you are contributing here exactly? You do realize the OP has to have a level of tolerance posting like he did in a public forum. You will be recieved by others in the manner in which you present yourself. Please reevaluate the original post and try to understand he brought this upon himself. These are valid responses others are giving. If you cannot take them without getting personal then ignore them or at the very least keep on topic and stop snapping at everyone who disagrees.

Last edited:

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
[...] If you cannot take them without getting personal then ignore them or at the very least keep on topic and stop snapping at everyone who disagrees.
You totally miss my point, or are just unwilling to see it: The ones creating problems with their "snapping" in this forum, are the ones that tries (in vain) to disqualify "everyone who disagrees", like even one of the moderators.

If this is the policy, the forum really has a serious problem: It then IS a fanclub, and tries to reduce or ridicule and/or in other ways silence attempts to write seriously about possible negative aspects of or problems with the iPad (and other Apple products). The forum needs moderators who are able to take their job seriously and have a sincere attitude to the products and the people's reactions to the Apple products as they appear in the forum.

This may be a problem for this forum - at least for all the persons who not have the immature worship attitude to Jobs and Apple.

elmz

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
You totally miss my point, or are just unwilling to see it: The ones creating problems with their "snapping" in this forum, are the ones that tries (in vain) to disqualify "everyone who disagrees", like even one of the moderators.

If this is the policy, the forum really has a serious problem: It then IS a fanclub, and tries to reduce or ridicule and/or in other ways silence attempts to write seriously about possible negative aspects of or problems with the iPad (and other Apple products). The forum needs moderators who are able to take their job seriously and have a sincere attitude to the products and the people's reactions to the Apple products as they appear in the forum.

This may be a problem for this forum - at least for all the persons who not have the immature worship attitude to Jobs and Apple.
Ok the OP had 15 reasons... I would understand if he has 2-3 reasons and was really open to discussion. But 15 is like splash of juice in a barrel or gin, sort of pointless. That's a bit ridiculous do you think?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
More like: 500+ reasons I can't upgrade ;)

Also why did you pick 15? It seems like you really had fewer reasons and used a few weak reasons as filler. If you had used less reasons people might have read them all.

One or two good reasons. 15? I don't think so

Next time limit yourself to several, and save us all a some time. :)

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
I think less people would be "snapping" (as one of the commenters so kindly put) if he had actually spent time with an iPad 3. Therefore an honest comparison would be given, and his reasons valid. But he's just thought of all this in his head.

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
For most people it is a very noticeable difference.

I'm currently pondering whether to upgrade my iPad 1 to version 2 or 3. So I took a look at both in my local Apple store and two things surprised me: The weight difference and how difficult it was to spot the difference between the screens. Perhaps the advantages of the Retina display are more apparent in games but frankly I struggled to see the difference.

The iPad 3 is though a technological feat, no question about it.
I noticed in the apple store it is difficult to spot the difference between ipad 2 and 3 screens. but at home it was very easy to spot looking at the two side by side.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
The heat issue should be top 3.
There is no heat issue. Wired did a test week before last and found that the new iPad falls in the middle of the pack in terms of operating temps. The whole heat issue has become one of the two dead horses that people love to beat on (the other being screen tint in brand new units with uncured adhesive).

Most, if not all, of the OPs 15 complaints are just plain silly. If you don't think the upgrade is justified, don't buy the new iPad. If you don't like the look of the white bezel, get the black one and enjoy it. If you think 3G/LTE is necessary, then get that model and leave the WiFi-only folks alone. If you think the 64 gig model is the bees-knees, accept that other people have different needs and let them enjoy their models. If you think the blue smart cover is the best....

See where I'm going with this? Man, lately these forums are full of people trying to pee on everyone else's parade.

db123

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
There is no heat issue. Wired did a test week before last and found that the new iPad falls in the middle of the pack in terms of operating temps. The whole heat issue has become one of the two dead horses that people love to beat on (the other being screen tint in brand new units with uncured adhesive).

Most, if not all, of the OPs 15 complaints are just plain silly. If you don't think the upgrade is justified, don't buy the new iPad. If you don't like the look of the white bezel, get the black one and enjoy it. If you think 3G/LTE is necessary, then get that model and leave the WiFi-only folks alone. If you think the 64 gig model is the bees-knees, accept that other people have different needs and let them enjoy their models. If you think the blue smart cover is the best....

See where I'm going with this? Man, lately these forums are full of people trying to pee on everyone else's parade.
You can always thumbs down without having any knowledege...

If you would do some research instead of trolling in a forum, you'll see -

There is a heat issues everyone agrees who own new iPad and have ability to compare new iPad with iPad 2 and other tablets. Major tech sites confirmed that.

Same is with yellow tint - you will find hundreds of YouTube videos and review ( pocket now, verge etc.) showing yellow new iPad screen. Little knowledge is dangerous - you only know yellow screen is only caused by adhesive. Come on, wake up!!!

I don't want to waste more time here, each point made here have more than once mentioned and experienced by experts who are not biased. They are silly because they find issues with iDevice.

No one cares whether you care or not. But they will remain as issues anyway, though it's not difficult to bypass those issues

Last edited by a moderator:

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Personally speaking, the new iPad is the best Apple device I've owned, and God knows, I've had a lot of their stuff. Can't fault it and delighted with the purchase. Couldn't care less about the opinions of posters who haven't got one but feel they must criticize anyway, probably cos they can't afford one in the first place

joeshaw92

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
just thought id give my opinions:

yes there is a weight gain but its so small its hardly worth mentioning, and as for the extra half a milimetre depth, thats really just an argument people use that can't afford the new one, i mean, come on, half a milimetre??

yes the screen is gorgeous but from what I hear having it on high brightness can drain the battery extremely fast, and it takes twice as long to charge it. But again, this only really matters to you if you are away from an outlet for hours on end, im sure many people, myself included, justp lug their ipad in at night or when it needs it, and manage perfectly well with that.

The cameras yes theyre an improvement, the front one is more than sufficient for facetime on both the 2 and 3, and the cameras arent even the main selling point anyway. Imean, if you have your ipad with you, chances are you have your phone with a much better and practical camera within it, so why not use that? i mean, itd look ridiculous using an ipad to take a photo on the street, no?

and finally as for performance, the majority of the extra processing power is used up by the new retina display, but it still outperforms the 2 on the majority of tests, even if only slightly.

So where do i stand in this whole debate?

I personally have an ipad 2 at the moment, not because i couldnt afford the new one, but simply because i do not feel that the new one is enough of an update to justify spending money on an upgrade. If I were buying new, however, I would definitely recommend buying the new one, or, depending on your budget, save £100 and come out the other side with a still very competent and competetive machine.

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Can I get the 15 minutes of my life back that it took to read about this 15 lame reasons to not buy the best iPad ever?