Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Most likely, or if not a Xeon/ECC/1TB beauty starting at $4,999 and whatever horrific multiplier that gets slapped on for forex countries ??

Hopefully the “Apple Pro Cooling Dock” is available at launch so that the computer doesn’t immediately throttle as soon as you open up FCPX

Reactions: Falhófnir

Dean Yu

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2016
Toronto, Canada
"That ship has sailed, been lost at sea and cannot be salvaged. "

MS' new Surface Pro X & Surface Laptop 3 have user-replaceable SSD drives on a chassis that is smaller & thinner than the 16" MBP. It isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Totally feasible with 2 QLC (Lol) NAND chips on a minuscule PCB ;) Just saying

Attachments

• 9C536D3B-0010-469A-8CBF-15AC0B4CA791.jpeg
    9C536D3B-0010-469A-8CBF-15AC0B4CA791.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 162

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

MS' new Surface Pro X & Surface Laptop 3 have user-replaceable SSD drives on a chassis that is smaller & thinner than the 16" MBP. It isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Apple hasn’t used SSD drives in years. They use flash chips soldered to the logic board, using the T2 for a controller for the last couple years. I think there’s zero chance they’d go back to user-replaceable SSD drives.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Thank you, it would be 3440x1440p at Ultra (attempting) at 60 FPS or above (hopefully 80-100), so the 2080ti shouldn't be a bottleneck in that case.

Yeah, it's generally always going to be true that a higher end GPU will beat a lower end one over TB3, no matter what you are attempting to do. There's generally a ~30% hit of using TB3 over an 8x/16x slot. But that perf hit shrinks as you bring up the resolution. But that hit makes a 2080ti perform closer to a 2060 Super.

So when you look at the cheapest ways to get a 2080ti, plus an eGPU enclosure, I'd say you're better off going for an actual gaming PC. Especially when you're going to be within ~100$ for a nice Ryzen 3600 Mini-ITX build with a 2070 Super, which should be at least as good, and with the right case, won't be much bigger than your eGPU enclosure.

EDIT: I should point out this is the direction I went, a Mini-ITX build. The only difference is that I settled on a 2080 Super. This is why I say it may not make financial sense to go the eGPU route for gaming.

Last edited:

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Either Apple is toying with us or some developer is toying with the rumor sites. Even if that is the actual design of the new product, that is not the screenshot its going to be displayed with in the final release.

May be the hardware team inside Apple does not want to show the design of the final product to the software teams.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Could be a placeholder image. Apple's gotta realize people dig through beta releases for tiny bits of info like this. So even if this reference needs to be in there for testing purposes, it doesn't mean it needs an actual photo.
It could be a placeholder, but this image does seem to fit with the rumors we've seen. It wouldn't be the first time Apple has mistakenly leaked unreleased hardware via something that wasn't stripped from an OS beta like it should've been.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
That’s what I’m looking for - everything else is gravy

Navi GPU would be the only other thing I would say is essential and not gravy, if they exist...we’re on the 4th Generation of Polaris in the MacBook Pro and that just doesn’t cut it anymore. Vega 16/20 needs to be the bare minimum standard at this point. While not beasts, they are at least usable/tolerable for professionals. AMD’s slow-ass disciplined rollout of Navi has been painful, even though I can appreciate AMD desire to get it right instead of rushing it and screwing it up.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Yeah, it's generally always going to be true that a higher end GPU will beat a lower end one over TB3, no matter what you are attempting to do. There's generally a ~30% hit of using TB3 over an 8x/16x slot. But that perf hit shrinks as you bring up the resolution. But that hit makes a 2080ti perform closer to a 2060 Super.

So when you look at the cheapest ways to get a 2080ti, plus an eGPU enclosure, I'd say you're better off going for an actual gaming PC. Especially when you're going to be within ~100$ for a nice Ryzen 3600 Mini-ITX build with a 2070 Super, which should be at least as good, and with the right case, won't be much bigger than your eGPU enclosure.

I'm trying to get away from a dedicated gaming PC. Was hoping for a Macbook that would fill that roll and allow for portability. I don't play games enough to have a dedicated system, so I'd prefer to just connect a keyboard, mouse, monitor, headphones (AMP/DAC) and eGPU when required for gaming.

Hopefully the integrated Thunderbolt 3 on Icelake/Tigerlake will help remove some of the latency/performance hit.

Thank you for the advice :)

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Navi GPU would be the only other thing I would say is essential and not gravy, if they exist...we’re on the 4th Generation of Polaris in the MacBook Pro and that just doesn’t cut it anymore. Vega 16/20 needs to be the bare minimum standard at this point. While not beasts, they are at least usable/tolerable for professionals. AMD’s slow-ass disciplined rollout of Navi has been painful, even though I can appreciate AMD desire to get it right instead of rushing it and screwing it up.

First laptop with mobile Navi GPU just got released few days ago.

If this has been in development for year or more, it is close to impossible that it will be shipped with Navi GPUs from day one.

Maybe Navi option will come later. And that is why I am going to wait a little bit.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I'm trying to get away from a dedicated gaming PC. Was hoping for a Macbook that would fill that roll and allow for portability. I don't play games enough to have a dedicated system, so I'd prefer to just connect a keyboard, mouse, monitor, headphones (AMP/DAC) and eGPU when required for gaming.

Hopefully the integrated Thunderbolt 3 on Icelake/Tigerlake will help remove some of the latency/performance hit.

Thank you for the advice :)

Unfortunately, the hit is mostly from the limits of the x4 lanes.

Yeah, if you intend to go this route, I really can't recommend burning the cash on a 2080ti though. If you have it already, go for it. But if you have to buy it, because of the perf hit, it's takes a GPU that's not a great fps/$ value, and makes it a terrible value. If I had to spend the money today on an eGPU, I'd much prefer either the 2070 Super or 5700XT. At least with those, you save money and can afford to upgrade more frequently compared to the 2080ti.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Either Apple is toying with us or some developer is toying with the rumor sites. Even if that is the actual design of the new product, that is not the screenshot its going to be displayed with in the final release.

May be the hardware team inside Apple does not want to show the design of the final product to the software teams.

Suffice it to say that at some point, the bits have to go into the OS that ships to customers. And it has to be "merged" into the main branch they ship out of before the machines being manufactured get the OS deployed to them. i.e. 10.5.1 needs to hit GM at least internally so that these machines can have that GM build included on the storage before they can ship out to customers.

These sort of leaks are unavoidable. About all they can do is try to limit how far in advance they get out there. But it used to be that they would use more generic icons for stuff, which helped limit leaks as well.

It could be a placeholder, but this image does seem to fit with the rumors we've seen. It wouldn't be the first time Apple has mistakenly leaked unreleased hardware via something that wasn't stripped from an OS beta like it should've been.

Agreed, but I'm not sure it's a mistake at this point. I suspect they intend to announce around the time 10.5.1 goes public.

EDIT: The fact that this is in Beta 2 makes me think they are already on the tail end of what they have planned for 10.5.1, and that we might see it go GM soon.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Suffice it to say that at some point, the bits have to go into the OS that ships to customers. And it has to be "merged" into the main branch they ship out of before the machines being manufactured get the OS deployed to them. i.e. 10.5.1 needs to hit GM at least internally so that these machines can have that GM build included on the storage before they can ship out to customers.

These sort of leaks are unavoidable. About all they can do is try to limit how far in advance they get out there. But it used to be that they would use more generic icons for stuff, which helped limit leaks as well.

Agreed, but I'm not sure it's a mistake at this point. I suspect they intend to announce around the time 10.5.1 goes public.

EDIT: The fact that this is in Beta 2 makes me think they are already on the tail end of what they have planned for 10.5.1, and that we might see it go GM soon.

Yes, they could be an announcement soon like here is the new Mac Pro ready for order and here is the new Macbook Pro ready for order. Grouping pro launches would build excitement coming on the success of the iPhone Pro models. More sales for Christmas with the Pro Moniker :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

New Macs always ship with a special build of MacOS. Kexts, icons and anything else specific to these Macs are not included in the general release until the next version is out, in this case that would be 10.15.2.

Here we're taking about a beta version of MacOS, not a GM or release version. These icons were put in a non-standard path for development purposes and Apple failed to strip them out, an oversight which would likely not occur when it comes time to do a public GM or release build.

Last edited:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
New Macs always ship with a special build of MacOS. Kexts, icons and anything else specific to these Macs are not included in the general release until the next version is out, in this case that would be 10.15.2.

Here we're taking about a beta version of MacOS, not a GM or release version. These icons were put in a non-standard path for development purposes and Apple failed to strip them out, an oversight which would likely not occur when it comes time to do a public GM or release build.

So redheeler, your opinion is that an announcement for a 16" MBP is imminent based on the fact those icons were in there?

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States

The only direction MS had to go after that 0/10 iFixit repairability score was UP.

Removable storage also doesn’t equal easily upgraded storage - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-laptop-3/8vfggh1r94tm - Disclaimer **[6] Hard drive is not user removable. Hard drive is only removable by skilled technician following Microsoft provided instructions**

I find the terminology hilarious (or frightening) since it isn’t a hard drive, it‘s a Solid State Drive.

Is that better than soldered storage? Maybe, maybe not...I guess we’ll find out in a few years hours after the first teardown on YouTube.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
So redheeler, your opinion is that an announcement for a 16" MBP is imminent based on the fact those icons were in there?
Seems likely. Strange that we haven't seen any indication of an October event by now though.
That’s a really old wallpaper from the Leopard days...I don’t think this is it. Obvious fake.
Still the image Apple uses for these icons. Its never changed.

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Unfortunately, the hit is mostly from the limits of the x4 lanes.

Yeah, if you intend to go this route, I really can't recommend burning the cash on a 2080ti though. If you have it already, go for it. But if you have to buy it, because of the perf hit, it's takes a GPU that's not a great fps/$ value, and makes it a terrible value. If I had to spend the money today on an eGPU, I'd much prefer either the 2070 Super or 5700XT. At least with those, you save money and can afford to upgrade more frequently compared to the 2080ti.

I doubt I'd go for the 2080ti just something with enough performance like as you say 2070 Super or perhaps 2080 :)

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
You're out in left field. Catalina is in production, and shipping on every Mac.

macOS may indeed be a disaster right now, but that is irrelevant.

So serious question here - if I right now buy a 2019 MBP does it come with Catalina on it, or does it come with Mojave and I need to update it. I'm thinking about buying but not if I'm stucj with Catalina. The software I use does not support it yet.

Ironically Lenovo actually had a touchbar in a 2014 model, but the implementation kinda was bad, if I recall, before it became popular on MacBooks.

It became _popular_ on Macbooks ? When did that happen ?!?

If the 16" Macbook Pro doesn't have FaceID, then it's a no sale for me.

Opposite for me - I've prefer not to have it.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

That used to be the case, yes. Especially in the Jobs era. But with how much their development cycle has changed over the years, I'm seeing this less often in my own experience developing on the platform. iOS especially with how often new hardware includes SDK changes that have to be aligned on a point release. But it's generally a little easier to align a point release with hardware, especially if you rely more on "supplemental updates" for urgent hot fixes than in the past.

But my point has been that you still need to merge this stuff in at some point. And if it's showing up in beta builds because they failed to "strip it out" as you say, then it is getting merged in. They aren't exactly hiding it from their software guys like the person I quoted if it's there. And if they aren't hiding it from the internal main builds, my thinking is that they must be getting close.

I still wouldn't be surprised if the 10.15.1 GM is timed with the announcement of the new model.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
So serious question here - if I right now buy a 2019 MBP does it come with Catalina on it, or does it come with Mojave and I need to update it. I'm thinking about buying but not if I'm stucj with Catalina. The software I use does not support it yet.

It became _popular_ on Macbooks ? When did that happen ?!?

Opposite for me - I've prefer not to have it.
[/QUOY

If you are getting a new one I am sure you can find new old stock on the Macbook pro's like Best Buy, Costco, University Store, Amazon. I have seen deals in the last week for $200 and $300 off the Macbook Pro's from earlier this year. And if you get Applecare on it and the keyboard has a issue most likely if they were going to repair it they would replace it with the newer model design keyboard for free. Or if you do not use the keyboard on the unit and use a real German Cherry keyboard switches for typing you would not be putting much wear and tear on the keyboard and i can type faster also.

Reactions: The Mercurian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.