16-Inch MacBook Pro With All-New Design Expected in 2019, 13-Inch Model May Gain 32GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Doc69 macrumors 6502

I totally agree, but unfortunately I'm almost certain that Apple won't include any of these in the next update. Once they commit to something, they usually never go back. So especially the optional Emoji-bar, matte display, user upgrade-able RAM/SSD, Mag-safe and illuminated Apple logo, are probably never coming back. And that's unfortunate since they are all great options.

2. Zdigital2015 macrumors 65816

1. What wit, it is to laugh...a slightly thicker chassis tp accommodate the Magic Keyboard mechanism would do a lot towards improving Apple's image in this regard.

2. Lots of people find the Touch Bar useful in their everyday lives, even if you do not.

3. Making the thing as thick as it need to be to have good enough cooling for the Core i9-8950HK or upcoming Core i9-9980HK is going to mean the next MacBook Pro is way thicker than the 2015 MacBook Pro. Do you have a 15" 2011 MacBook Pro lying around? If you do, ditch whatever you have and carry it around for a week in your backpack or messenger bag. Tell me you want that as your day in/day out carry weight? Didn't think so. Performance at all costs is not the name of the game here, but better cooling is needed.

4. Buy an external reader. The one I got can handle everything I need with the exception of CFast or XQD. It cost $20.

5. If you need one every day, buy a cable.

6. Still haven't figured out that they make cables with USB-C on one end and just about anything you need on the other end for your legacy stuff?

7. Unless you need CUDA, you do not need NVIDIA. If you need CUDA on the go, buy a Windows laptop, otherwise NVIDIA eGPU support under macOS and Windows 10 (BootCamp) should be how Apple supports that segment of users.

Yeah, you're going to get none of that...

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

The thing is, yeah, I do need CUDA, since I use it every day. So in order to keep doing what I do every day, I need to ditch the Mac altogether? Yeah I think "having to ditch the MacBook Pro altogether" is a reason to be unhappy with the MacBook Pro. And yes, I could get adapters and dongles, but you know what's better? Not having to get adapters and dongles. It compromises portability, and one day I am going to forget it and I'll need it and it's going to be a pain.

Yes, all of these problems have workarounds. But I believe computers should make life easier, not more difficult. And while I can probably spend extra money on dongles and adapters, and while I can probably live with the computer running a bit slower due to not supporting the GPUs that it used to support, and for which all professional software was designed specifically because Apple always used nVidia GPUs just to suddenly unexpectedly completely drop support for all of them, I can definitely not live with a keyboard that doesn't work, on a computer that costs more. I think that in exchange for increased hassle, the price should be lower. Of if the price is high, it should increase comfort. It's one or the other, it can't be both.

4. Unregistered 4U macrumors 6502

I’m hoping they bring back native Apple II compatibility (where’s the compatibility card??), ADB, and Composite video out. And make it thick enough for stereo RCA jacks. Plus Midi.

5. EightyTwenty, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019

EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

I think it’s going to be a long time before the iMacs are updated. They are on a 2-year refresh cycle for iMacs now and they were just updated a few months ago.

Did you mean the iMac pro?
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2019 ---
    I need the MacBook Pro to accept classic SEGA Genesis cartridges. And no, I am NOT buying an adapter. If I can’t play the SEGA Genesis version of NHLPA ‘93 on the MacBook using my original cartridge, I’m not buying it... period.

6. RumorConsumer macrumors 6502a

RumorConsumer

I need to use my ADB Kensington Thinking mouse. I now declare myself abandoned.

7. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

In fact over the years Apple happily switched back and forth between the vendors.

• PowerBooks were always ATI, with exception of the 2003 17-inch and some 12-inch models.
    • iBooks were always ATI, no exception.
    • MacBook started out with Intel GMA, went Nvidia in 2008, then back to Intel HD in 2015.
    • Mac mini started with ATI, then went Intel GMA, then Nvidia, then Intel+AMD, then Intel only.
    • eMac was all ATI except the very first one with Nvidia.
    • iMac G3 was all ATI. Then G4 and G5 were Nvidia until 2005, when the G5 switched back to ATI. The white Intel iMacs kept ATI and threw some Intel GMA in, only exception being the 24-inch model which used Nvidia. The aluminium iMac went back to ATI, added a higher-end Nvidia option for the 24-inch in 2008. Then in early 2009, it went all Nvidia except a higher-end ATI option. The redesign in late 2009 went all ATI, except for the low-end 21-inch. iMacs stuck with ATI/AMD until the next redesign in late 2012, which went all Nvidia. 2013 added Intel back to the mix, then in late 2014 the Retina 5K iMac came with just AMD options. A year later Nvidia was ditched entirely with the 21-inch going all Intel and the 2013 non-Retina 27-inch discontinued. Since then, it's been all AMD.
    • MacBook Pro was AMD initially, went Nvidia in 2007, added Intel HD in 2010, then went AMD+Intel in 2011, back to Nvidia+Intel in 2012, again back to AMD+Intel in 2015 which it stuck to since.
    Only line which was available with both Nvidia and ATI/AMD options for a longer period is the PowerMac and Mac Pro. The former from 2000 to 2005, the latter from 2006 to 2010. Pre-2000 was ATI-only, 2005-2006 was Nvidia-only, since 2010 it's been AMD-only again. Although of course for the classic Mac Pro there were aftermarket Nvidia options.

But since were talking MacBook Pro here: No CUDA except for 2007-2010 and 2012-2014 higher-end machines..

8. Unregistered 4U macrumors 6502

Suddenly, but not unexpectedly. Nvidia screwed up a few times and Apple had enough of it.

9. RumorConsumer macrumors 6502a

RumorConsumer

Quad G5 PowerMac with a 7800GT hollar at me.

10. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Previous cycles didn't have a pooptacular keyboard problem though. Hopefully the redesign features a non-disposable keyboard.

11. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

Very slow adoption rate compared to the 1st Gen Retina's (All Year models)

I travel for work a lot and staying in LA, NY, Vegas, China, India for extended periods of time. This is probably one of the slower adoption rates i'v seen.

This model has been out for years now, and I still see a lot of people hanging on to the pre-touch bar model MacBooks.

I recently upgraded my MBP only because I had to give my previous one to a joining employee for our iOS department/team (we're a small company that doesn't have an infinite cash flow to provide new Macs, iOS/Mobile department is a smaller department within that small company)

12. Crunch macrumors 6502a

Crunch

I'm already seriously looking at going back to a Hackingtosh'd Thinkpad after almost 10 mostly very happy years with Apple products.

I can see it now: Mojave on Thinkpad X1 Extreme with KICK-ASS top-notch keyboard, all the ports you could want, including a couple USB-C Thunderbolt 3, but also full-size HDMI, USB-A, etc., with a 4K screen. Not a pseudo-4K "1880p Retina". A REAL 2160p 4K display and macOS works even with the touch screen aspect. Man, this is sounding better and better.

13. manu chao macrumors 603

Having to use an HDMI to HDMI cable is better than having to use a USB-C to HDMI cable?
    Having to use a mDP to DP cable is better than having to use a USB-C to DP cable?
    Having to use an USB-A to XYZ cable is better than having to use a USB-C to XYZ cable?

14. Detnator macrumors regular

Detnator

This does sound impressive. How do you make this work?

15. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

With a new MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, and new external batteries and hard drive all my devibces switched to usb-c outside of my iPhone and air pods.

Just like the 3.5 mm jack apple is and has been the forefront of change.

Why do I even want all those ports? So convenient with usb-c and eventually all products will be.

Until then there’s plenty of docks on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGDN6PG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_U0y3CbDFYZ91E

16. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Yes, having to use an HDMI cable for HDMI is better than using a dongle or adapter. Because when you go to a meeting or to hold a presentation in a classroom or literally anywhere, they will have an HDMI cable already there, hanging out of the projector or TV in the room. So if you have an HDMI port, you don't need to bring anything. If you have a USB-C port, and you forgot your dongle, you will not be giving a presentation that day.

As for MiniDisplayPort – I've never used it in my life.

And while I can get USB-C cables for my own devices, when I'm given a card reader, hard drive or any accessory by someone else, I'm likely going to need a dongle.

Same goes for the SD card slot: I have to think of having to take it with me everywhere I go, as I never know when I'm going to need it.

So despite being able to get my own custom cables, I still have to carry all the dongles with me everywhere I go.

17. manu chao macrumors 603

Just equip all those places with a USB-C to HDMI cable as well, problem solved. Nobody said there wouldn't be transition costs.

Then you didn't use MacBook Pros made between 2009 and 2012 (or MBAs between 2008 and 2017, or iMacs between 2009 and 2015) . Their (only) video out port was mDP (at least in regard to plug shape).

And those devices only ever came with one port design? In my experience, you needed at least three cables over the years: USB-B, USB-mini and USB-micro. iOS devices required a cable with a Lightning port, some cameras had their own proprietary USB ports on top of that.

18. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

Exactly. USB-C is the present and the future. Either upgrade your accessories or buy a compatible cable. Very easy.

People wanting HDMI or USB-A on laptops in 2019 are out to lunch. There’s no reason for those connections on a modern computer.

19. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

we see this time and time again and wow I'm 29 now so I've seen it plenty. from Audio cassettes , to VHS, to Taxi Cabs (everywhere outside of NYC and airports), to DVDs and CDs.

USB-C is the future and It was a bit early couple 2-3 years ago but its acceptable now.

Again there's still people using VGA display ports things aren't going to change like that and no businesses and organizations are just going to update all their monitors or displays for the sake of having the newest ports.

you'll live. I rather carry a usb-C to HDMI than HDMI to HDMI any day. Much more thinner and not as bad quality as the thing HDMI cables.

20. Unregistered 4U macrumors 6502

You have to find one of the rare ThinkPad iMaginar-e power cables. Once you have it, though, just plug that in and it automagically wipes the HD, initializes the firmware, downloads and installs macOS, rewrites all the kernel level drivers (at a BINARY level no less, the SPEEDS) AND updates all the software to be aware of and to utilize the features that aren’t on any MacBook.

21. Detnator macrumors regular

Detnator

All from a power cable! Amazing! Magic even!

22. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

32 GB RAM Maximum option is a total joke in 2019, just as the price Apple charges for RAM upgrades.

23. pauljbax macrumors member

pauljbax

I just paid $225.00 with parts and labor to fix mine.

Hopefully this will be the last time.

24. roamingseer macrumors newbie

Agreed. Further, it should have a better keyboard; I can’t stand the butterfly keyboard (not enough travel and not reliable). And, it should have upgradeable memory, and a separate SSD and HD that are again upgradeable. As it is now, Apple’s ridiculous dongles and pathetically small SSD (not to mention their astronomical prices) are a boat anchor on sales.