Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Inspired by this thread Mactubes in 2017 or alternatives I learned of the existence of smtube and smplayer and decided to look further into this since I had already installed mplayer via Macports.

Basically you need qt4 which was already installed on my PB G4 12" by installing mplayer via Macports.
I then succesfully compiled smtube from source and succeeded in linking smtube to Mplayer.

{EDIT 10-JAN-2018 It looks like Youtube changed it's playback method overnight,
it uses https URL's now which Coreplayer cannot open but Mplayer still can.

SMTube 18.1 can still use mplayer 1.3.0 from Macports but SMTube 17.5 or lower no longer work entirely

EDIT 07-FEB-2018 MPlayer MPKG link added to install without Xcode/Macports

EDIT 30-SEP-2018 SMTube updated to version 18.9, thanks once again to DroneCatcher

EDIT 25-NOV-2018 SMTube updated to version 18.11, thanks once again to DroneCatcher

EDIT 19-JUN-2019 SMTube updated to version 19.6.0

EDIT 01-FEB-2020 SMTube updated to version 20.1.0

}

(For Tiger see here https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ew-mactubes-mobile-youtube-installer.2104767/)

This guide only applies to Leopard.
  1. Get the qt4-mac installer from Dropbox and install it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hteoo72fuysft90/qt4-mac-4.8.7_5.mpkg.zip?dl=0

2. Download the attached ZIP at the bottom and extract smtube.app .
  3. Get the Mplayer installer from Dropbox and install it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pwytrr9rg30jhx/MPlayer-1.3.0_3_OSX_Tiger.mpkg.zip?dl=0
Once you have moved the SMTube app to /Applications, follow these next steps.

Open SMTube, Select Preferences, Under General set your Preferred quality

Picture 5.png

Picture 6.png

Picture 7.png

As suggested by @Dronecatcher adding following parameters to MPlayer will allow 720p playback on some machines :

%u -title %t -framedrop -cache 8192 -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all:skipframe=nonref -really-quiet

Add -fs if you always want FullScreen playback .

Als from one of his previous threads

Whilst the video is streaming MPlayer can be controlled by keyboard shortcuts:

9 - volume down
0 - volume up
command + 0 - half size
command + 1 - original size
command + 2 - double size
space - pause/play
cursor right - forward 10 seconds
cursor up - forward 1 minute
f - full screen
esc - quit

{26-MAR-2017 discovered that m.youtube.com also works}

SMTube is also a browser-like interface, if you click on View, Toolbar you can fill in a website address .
{07-MAR-2018 SMTube 18.1 and Mplayer 1.3 no longer work with m.youtube.com }

SMTube Toolbar.png

There you can login and also search videos like on Tonvid, to playback a video you must right-click it however and select your player , direct-click playback seems only to work on Tonvid .

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    598.8 KB · Views: 725
  • SMTube Players New.png
    SMTube Players New.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 4,304
  • SMtube CorePlayer settings.png
    SMtube CorePlayer settings.png
    388 KB · Views: 4,475
  • SMTube Prefered Player.png
    SMTube Prefered Player.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 4,215
  • SMTube mYoutube Select Player.png
    SMTube mYoutube Select Player.png
    88 KB · Views: 2,849
  • smtube 20_1-OSX_10.5.zip
    218.5 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
You are now officially a PowerPC God. Right up there with eyoungren, the Luddite, Cameron Kaiser and Lotavi77.

Did you try any arguements to mplayer, like -framedrop and -really quiet? the Luddite had a guide for making HD play with mplayer on machines with about your specs.

Really impressed.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
You are now officially a PowerPC God. Right up there with eyoungren, the Luddite, Cameron Kaiser and Lotavi77.

Did you try any arguements to mplayer, like -framedrop and -really quiet? the Luddite had a guide for making HD play with mplayer on machines with about your specs.

Really impressed.

Just a mere mortal, the persons you mentioned have taught and given me and this community a lot more than I have.

Will give it another shot tomorrow ,thanks for the tip on mplayer.

Reactions: eyoungren

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Tremendous work!
Just to be clear, were is xcode311_9m2517_developerdvd available from - I can't see it on the Apple Developer site (maybe it's release date might help)?

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Thanks! I saw that one but didn't want to download it without being 100% sure.

I'm guessing you could get away with gcc 4.9 from Macports also but this is the official Apple gcc altough it installs all Xcode as well. The Apple one is sure to work so ...

I'm signing off for today, 12 hours behind a screen today ( 21:55 over here ).

Last edited:

GoopnyPants

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2016
Italy
Tremendous work!
Just to be clear, were is xcode311_9m2517_developerdvd available from - I can't see it on the Apple Developer site (maybe it's release date might help)?
I used version 3.1.4 of xcode (xcode314_2809_developerdvd.dmg, which is the latest available for powerpc) and it worked well.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I'm currently backing-up my existing Leopard then will wipe and clean install again.

What I want to achieve is , install everything without installing Xcode completely or Macports.

Current options

gcc , make
  1. from xcode311_9m2517_developerdvd ( developer.apple.com) or a later version ( HUGE DOWNLOAD )
  2. found this which was extracted from the Xcode DVD and will install only gcc and make which you need
    http://superuser.com/a/1163926

3. Install Xcode see step 1 , install Macports and then update/install gcc + make via Macports and set it as default
    ( not so easy procedure )
Qt
  1. version 4.6 from Nokia ftp://ftp.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt-mac-opensource-4.6.4.dmg
    ( didn't seem to work but will try again )
  2. version 4.8 from the Qt site qt-opensource-mac-4.8.6-1.dmg
    (
    same as above )
  3. qt4-mac via Macports ( fastest and easiest method but Macports needs Xcode )
smtube
  1. needs gcc and make , even the lowest apple version is ok
  2. needs to find the Qt libraries
  3. source compiles in 5 minutes and then you just need to add Coreplayer , it's path and your preferred quality
    in the smtube.app

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
If you come up with some kind of "installer" or "easy way" that even a computer layman would understand, that would be so great!

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
If you come up with some kind of "installer" or "easy way" that even a computer layman would understand, that would be so great!

At this moment , I'm trying to make it boil down to install pkg , dmg , and type make in the smtube directory.
I do have a programming background but that was 22 years ago and too many dependencies
  • is gcc and/or make already installed ?
  • is Qt installed ?
  • would have to catch the make compilation if it fails or succeeds
If somebody feels up to do this, I think it would be faster , although I'm willing to give it a try , but will take me a loong
time :)

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2016
France
I'm currently backing-up my existing Leopard then will wipe and clean install again.

What I want to achieve is , install everything without installing Xcode completely or Macports.

Current options

gcc , make
  1. from xcode311_9m2517_developerdvd ( developer.apple.com) or a later version ( HUGE DOWNLOAD )
  2. found this which was extracted from the Xcode DVD and will install only gcc and make which you need
    http://superuser.com/a/1163926

3. Install Xcode see step 1 , install Macports and then update/install gcc + make via Macports and set it as default
    ( not so easy procedure )
Qt
  1. version 4.6 from Nokia ftp://ftp.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt-mac-opensource-4.6.4.dmg
    ( didn't seem to work but will try again )
  2. version 4.8 from the Qt site qt-opensource-mac-4.8.6-1.dmg
    (
    same as above )
  3. qt4-mac via Macports ( fastest and easiest method but Macports needs Xcode )
smtube
  1. needs gcc and make , even the lowest apple version is ok
  2. needs to find the Qt libraries
  3. source compiles in 5 minutes and then you just need to add Coreplayer , it's path and your preferred quality
    in the smtube.app
Are you sure you need to compile the source every time and you can't just copy the .app ?

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Are you sure you need to compile the source every time and you can't just copy the .app ?

No idea , I'm guessing smtube.app would still need Qt to work/display properly ?

I'm currently re-installing Leopard to start from a clean slate.

I've attached my smtube.app , if you don't have installed Qt have a try if it works on your system

Attachments

• smtube.app.zip
    227.2 KB · Views: 328

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2016
France
No idea , I'm guessing smtube.app would still need Qt to work/display properly ?

I'm currently re-installing Leopard to start from a clean slate.

I've attached my smtube.app , if you don't have installed Qt have a try if it works on your system
To use it, I guess you must have qt installed in the directory showed in Makefile.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
To use it, I guess you must have qt installed in the directory showed in Makefile.

I will be able to tell you once Leopard Combo update has finished installing.

If you haven't installed Qt, have a try wether it works using my app version

To get the app you have to compile it from source for OS X since there's only a Windows and Linux installable client.
For this you need Qt , gcc and make and the correct paths in the Makefile to compile it.

GoopnyPants

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2016
Italy
I have just tried on my imac g5 without qt, gcc, etc...the app closes unexpectedly. So, yes, it requires at least qt4 to work

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2016
France
Yeah, you must have qt installed for sure, but once qt installed I bet you will be able to run a precompiled version of smtube ?

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I have just tried on my imac g5 without qt, gcc, etc...the app closes unexpectedly. So, yes, it requires at least qt4 to work

That's what I thought , gcc/make is just needed to compile the source of smtube but the compilation and the app needs Qt to be installed.

Macports needs Xcode so that's a huge install but it will install qt4-mac in /opt which can easily be removed/deinstalled again.

The Qt DMG qt-mac-opensource-4.6.0.dmg however installs all over the place and has no uninstall script , you can override it with the Macports Qt install afterwards but you still have stuff that is no longer needed if the DMG install doesn't work.

That's why I'm making a clean install now ( for the past 2 hours LOL ) and TimeMachine backups to see if can skip Macports and Xcode which would make the install easier ( if it works )
  1. install Qt DMG
  2. Copy the smtube.app to /Applications , tune settings and done

GoopnyPants

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2016
Italy
That's what I thought , gcc/make is just needed to compile the source of smtube but the compilation and the app needs Qt to be installed.

Macports needs Xcode so that's a huge install but it will install qt4-mac in /opt which can easily be removed/deinstalled again.

The Qt DMG qt-mac-opensource-4.6.0.dmg however installs all over the place and has no uninstall script , you can override it with the Macports Qt install afterwards but you still have stuff that is no longer needed if the DMG install doesn't work.

That's why I'm making a clean install now ( for the past 2 hours LOL ) and TimeMachine backups to see if can skip Macports and Xcode which would make the install easier ( if it works )
  1. install Qt DMG
  2. Copy the smtube.app to /Applications , tune settings and done
I tried installing only qt 4.6, but the app still closes immediately.
I think because it installs the qt binary in /usr instead of /opt. Furthermore in the developer folder (created by the installer, i don't have xcode on that mac), there seems to be a script to uninstall it, but I'm not sure if it will work
Picture 2.png Picture 1.png

Last edited:

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I tried installing only qt 4.6, but the app still closes immediately.
I think because it installs the qt binary in /usr instead of /opt. Furthermore in the developer folder (created by the installer, i don't have xcode on that mac), there seems to be a script to uninstall it, but I'm not sure it will work
View attachment 686317 View attachment 686318

I'm still cloning my 8 GB clean install , only halfway 15 minutes further .

If you feel up to it , could you try to download the source for smtube from here smtube-16.7.2.tar.bz2
Go into the extracted folder smtube-16.7.2

Then edit Makefile to point to the location of qmake and lrelease

QMAKE=/usr/bin/qmake

MAKE=make
LRELEASE=/usr/bin/lrelease ( if the file is there, can't see it from your screenshot )

In the folder smtube-16.7.2 type make, if it works it should compile in 5 min and produce the smtube.app in the src directory.

GoopnyPants

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2016
Italy
I'm still cloning my 8 GB clean install , only halfway 15 minutes further .

If you feel up to it , could you try to download the source for smtube from here smtube-16.7.2.tar.bz2
Go into the extracted folder smtube-16.7.2

Then edit Makefile to point to the location of qmake and lrelease

QMAKE=/usr/bin/qmake

MAKE=make
LRELEASE=/usr/bin/lrelease ( if the file is there, can't see it from your screenshot )

In the folder smtube-16.7.2 type make, if it works it should compile in 5 min and produce the smtube.app in the src directory.
Yes, lrelease is in the same folder. In the screenshot you can see an alias called "qmake", but it refers to qmake-4.6, so that is the real qmake, the same for lrelease, lrelease-4.6.

I tried to compile the source code, but: -bash: make: command not found...At this point, I leave you to try.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Yes, lrelease is in the same folder. In the screenshot you can see an alias called "qmake", but it refers to qmake-4.6, so that is the real qmake, the same for lrelease, lrelease-4.6.

I tried to compile the source code, but: -bash: make: command not found...At this point, I leave you to try.

Just finished cloning my clean install, trying myself now. Thanks already for your time and effort.

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.