{19-SEP-2017} SMtube 17.5 (OS X 10.5.8 ) (alternative for Youview/Mactubes/Mobile Youtube) INSTALLER

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lastic, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Lastic, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

Lastic macrumors 6502

Inspired by this thread Mactubes in 2017 or alternatives I learned of the existence of smtube and smplayer and decided to look further into this since I had already installed mplayer via Macports.

Basically you need qt4 which was already installed on my PB G4 12" by installing mplayer via Macports.
    I then succesfully compiled smtube from source and succeeded in linking smtube to Coreplayer.

The qt4-mac install can now be done from an easy installer. Thanks to a hint from @wicknix

Summary of what you need to install on OS X 10.5
    • (smtube source) no longer needed , check the compiled app below .
    (I tried it on Tiger but gave up after 6 days ). This guide thus currently only applies to Leopard.
    1. Get the qt4-mac installer from Dropbox and install it.
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/hteoo72fuysft90/qt4-mac-4.8.7_5.mpkg.zip?dl=0

2. Download the attached ZIP {updated to version 17.5 thanks Dronecatcher} at the bottom
      and extract smtube.app .
    Once you have moved the app to /Applications, follow these next steps.

Open smtube , select Preferences,set your preferred video quality.

SMTube Preferences.png

Next click on Players , + sign to add a player

SMTube Players New.png

Change the path to the Executable to
    /Applications/CorePlayer.app/Contents/MacOS/CorePlayer

Make sure that "This player supports video sites" is UNCHECKED.

Set your preferred/default quality to the same one you selected in General settings.

SMtube CorePlayer settings.png

To make CorePlayer your default player , you must select it and move it to the top in the Players list using the UP arrow.

SMTube Prefered Player.png

Off course , Better performance on a 1.5Ghz PB G4 12" still has 720p Coreplayer playback chewing away CPU , 360p however goes only up to 20-30% CPU.

Picture 2.png

{26-MAR-2017 discovered that m.youtube.com also works}

SMTube is also a browser-like interface, if you click on View, Toolbar you can fill in a website address like
    for example m.youtube.com

SMTube Toolbar.png

There you can login and also search videos like on Tonvid, to playback a video you must right-click it however and select your player , direct-click playback seems only to work on Tonvid .

SMTube mYoutube Select Player.png

And here it is , 720p Better Battery Life on a PB G4 12" 1.5Ghz , still around the 70% CPU because of the 720p playback.

SMTube Mobile Youtube.png

-----------------------------------------Progress--Report-----------------------------------------------------
    {EDIT 30-jan-2017 On my SSD PB G4 12" 1.5Ghz only Coreplayer seems to keep up without sync issues, VLC and mplayer (2016 with PPCLuddite recommended options) skip badly , on a 1.67Ghz G4 or G5 VLC and mplayer will probably work}

{EDIT 30-JAN-2017

Tried from a clean install, gcc/make only install from here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ZuzZ8mn9xRVVdOTkpTckdNdEk/view?usp=sharing
    then Qt 4.6 from here qt-mac-opensource-4.6.0.dmg but no luck.
    Installed Xcode, still no luck , Macports still seems the way to succes }
    {EDIT 31-JAN-2017 as discovered by Dronecatcher not all videos on Youtube play }
    {EDIT 03-FEB-2017 the new source code used to compile SMtube 17.1 seems to play some of the videos that wouldn't work for Dronecatcher, off course your mileage may vary , I can't test all videos that exist on Youtube :) }
    {04-FEB-2017 You no longer need to compile the app but I've left the instructions for those who are interested

Download the newer source here http://sourceforge.net/projects/smtube/files/SMTube/17.1.0/smtube-17.1.0.tar.bz2
    Go into the extracted folder smtube-17.1.0

For Macports I had to edit the Makefile to point to the location of the Macports Qt qmake and lrelease

QMAKE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4/bin/qmake
    MAKE=make
    LRELEASE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4/bin/lrelease

Open Terminal ( Applications/Utilities ), go to the folder smtube-17.1.0 type make, about 5 minutes later compilation completed and in the src directory I found smtube.app which I copied to /Applications. }

{EDIT 04-FEB-2017 the compiled version (Thanks Dronecatcher) seems to work on G4/G5 so you no longer need to compile it yourself for Leopard}
    {EDIT 05-FEB-2017 trying to get this done on Tiger , day 2 }
    {EDIT 09-FEB-2017 I'm giving up on Tiger}
    {EDIT 26-MAR-2017 cleaned up instructions,added more screenshots and FOUND m.youtube.com option}
    {EDIT 26-MAR-2017 changed/added suggestions by pochopsp ,updated Macports link to 2.4.1 version WITH ADDITIONAL WARNING }
    {EDIT 16-SEP-2017} Thanks to a hint from @wicknix in this post #7 , I can provide a qt4-mac installer without having Xcode or Macports installed , updated the first post.

Herunder (for historic reasons) the previous complex installation steps which are no longer needed :

• xcode311_9m2517_developerdvd (24 July 2008 ) or a later Xcode version downloadable from developer.apple.com
        This is a 2 GB install !
      • qt4-mac via Macports ( Needs Xcode to be installed )
    ========================================================

• Install Xcode 3.1.1 (minimum version)
      • Download Macports for OS X 10.5.8 by clicking on the link saying Leopard hereunder
        Leopard <== Macports 2.3.4 (older but stable)
        Leopard <== Macports 2.4.1 (most recent,works for this install, NOT ADVISED)
    • Install Macports (tested up to 2.4.1)
      BE ADVISED that if you wish to use Macports 2.4.1 for other ports than qt4-mac
      ,these might fail, I use Macports 2.3.4 because I've installed a lot of other ports
      succesfully (metasploit,nmap,mplayer 1.3.0,qemu) which fail on Macports 2.4.1
    Open Terminal ( Applications/Utilities )
    Then do a sudo port install qt4-mac

{EDIT 19-SEP-2017} App has been updated to version 17.5 thanks to Dronecatcher, updated ZIP file

Attached Files:

2. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

You are now officially a PowerPC God. Right up there with eyoungren, the Luddite, Cameron Kaiser and Lotavi77.

Did you try any arguements to mplayer, like -framedrop and -really quiet? the Luddite had a guide for making HD play with mplayer on machines with about your specs.

Really impressed.

3. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502

Just a mere mortal, the persons you mentioned have taught and given me and this community a lot more than I have.

Will give it another shot tomorrow ,thanks for the tip on mplayer.

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Tremendous work!
    Just to be clear, were is xcode311_9m2517_developerdvd available from - I can't see it on the Apple Developer site (maybe it's release date might help)?

5. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I had it on my archive backup , had to search from where it came
    Picture 1.png

6. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Thanks! I saw that one but didn't want to download it without being 100% sure.

7. Lastic, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you could get away with gcc 4.9 from Macports also but this is the official Apple gcc altough it installs all Xcode as well. The Apple one is sure to work so ...

I'm signing off for today, 12 hours behind a screen today ( 21:55 over here ).

8. GoopnyPants macrumors newbie

I used version 3.1.4 of xcode (xcode314_2809_developerdvd.dmg, which is the latest available for powerpc) and it worked well.

9. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm currently backing-up my existing Leopard then will wipe and clean install again.

What I want to achieve is , install everything without installing Xcode completely or Macports.

Current options

gcc , make
    1. from xcode311_9m2517_developerdvd ( developer.apple.com) or a later version ( HUGE DOWNLOAD )
    2. found this which was extracted from the Xcode DVD and will install only gcc and make which you need
      http://superuser.com/a/1163926

3. Install Xcode see step 1 , install Macports and then update/install gcc + make via Macports and set it as default
      ( not so easy procedure )
    Qt
    1. version 4.6 from Nokia ftp://ftp.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt-mac-opensource-4.6.4.dmg
      ( didn't seem to work but will try again )
    2. version 4.8 from the Qt site qt-opensource-mac-4.8.6-1.dmg
      (
      same as above )
    3. qt4-mac via Macports ( fastest and easiest method but Macports needs Xcode )
    smtube
    1. needs gcc and make , even the lowest apple version is ok
    2. needs to find the Qt libraries
    3. source compiles in 5 minutes and then you just need to add Coreplayer , it's path and your preferred quality
      in the smtube.app

10. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

If you come up with some kind of "installer" or "easy way" that even a computer layman would understand, that would be so great!

11. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502

At this moment , I'm trying to make it boil down to install pkg , dmg , and type make in the smtube directory.
    I do have a programming background but that was 22 years ago and too many dependencies
    • is gcc and/or make already installed ?
    • is Qt installed ?
    • would have to catch the make compilation if it fails or succeeds
    If somebody feels up to do this, I think it would be faster , although I'm willing to give it a try , but will take me a loong
    time :)

12. SourceSunTom macrumors regular

SourceSunTom

Are you sure you need to compile the source every time and you can't just copy the .app ?

13. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502

No idea , I'm guessing smtube.app would still need Qt to work/display properly ?

I'm currently re-installing Leopard to start from a clean slate.

I've attached my smtube.app , if you don't have installed Qt have a try if it works on your system

Attached Files:

14. SourceSunTom macrumors regular

SourceSunTom

To use it, I guess you must have qt installed in the directory showed in Makefile.

15. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502

I will be able to tell you once Leopard Combo update has finished installing.

If you haven't installed Qt, have a try wether it works using my app version

To get the app you have to compile it from source for OS X since there's only a Windows and Linux installable client.
    For this you need Qt , gcc and make and the correct paths in the Makefile to compile it.

16. GoopnyPants macrumors newbie

I have just tried on my imac g5 without qt, gcc, etc...the app closes unexpectedly. So, yes, it requires at least qt4 to work

17. SourceSunTom macrumors regular

SourceSunTom

Yeah, you must have qt installed for sure, but once qt installed I bet you will be able to run a precompiled version of smtube ?

18. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought , gcc/make is just needed to compile the source of smtube but the compilation and the app needs Qt to be installed.

Macports needs Xcode so that's a huge install but it will install qt4-mac in /opt which can easily be removed/deinstalled again.

The Qt DMG qt-mac-opensource-4.6.0.dmg however installs all over the place and has no uninstall script , you can override it with the Macports Qt install afterwards but you still have stuff that is no longer needed if the DMG install doesn't work.

That's why I'm making a clean install now ( for the past 2 hours LOL ) and TimeMachine backups to see if can skip Macports and Xcode which would make the install easier ( if it works )
    1. install Qt DMG
    2. Copy the smtube.app to /Applications , tune settings and done

19. GoopnyPants, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017

GoopnyPants macrumors newbie

I tried installing only qt 4.6, but the app still closes immediately.
    I think because it installs the qt binary in /usr instead of /opt. Furthermore in the developer folder (created by the installer, i don't have xcode on that mac), there seems to be a script to uninstall it, but I'm not sure if it will work
    Picture 2.png Picture 1.png

20. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm still cloning my 8 GB clean install , only halfway 15 minutes further .

If you feel up to it , could you try to download the source for smtube from here smtube-16.7.2.tar.bz2
    Go into the extracted folder smtube-16.7.2

Then edit Makefile to point to the location of qmake and lrelease

QMAKE=/usr/bin/qmake

MAKE=make
    LRELEASE=/usr/bin/lrelease ( if the file is there, can't see it from your screenshot )

In the folder smtube-16.7.2 type make, if it works it should compile in 5 min and produce the smtube.app in the src directory.

21. GoopnyPants macrumors newbie

Yes, lrelease is in the same folder. In the screenshot you can see an alias called "qmake", but it refers to qmake-4.6, so that is the real qmake, the same for lrelease, lrelease-4.6.

I tried to compile the source code, but: -bash: make: command not found...At this point, I leave you to try.

22. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502

Just finished cloning my clean install, trying myself now. Thanks already for your time and effort.

23. GoopnyPants macrumors newbie

Also thanks you for what you're doing with this project;)

24. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502

No luck, clean install, installed Xcode, installed Qt 4.6 from the DMG but make won't compile.
    Going to bed now, have to get up in 6 hours.
    To be continued ...

25. G4fanboy macrumors regular