Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ten days after releasing its first two iPhone ads using the new tagline of "If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone," Apple today debuted a third ad in the series. The new ad, entitled "Amazing Apps" focuses on the array of apps available in the App Store.

This is an iPhone. And it comes with something amazing: an App Store with over one and half million of the best apps available. That's over one and a half million hand-picked, awe-inspiring, just plain surprising, who knew a phone could do that apps. If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone.
The latest campaign is the third series of ads for the iPhone, following an initial set from Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake and a more recent "Shot on iPhone 6" campaign that focuses on the phone's camera capabilities..

Article Link: Apple Debuts New 'Amazing Apps' iPhone Ad

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Some animations looked pretty stuttery, or is that just me? I don’t think Apple really got the point across this time. Even Android devices now get most of the great and modern apps that everyone is interested in and ‘over 1.5 million of the best apps available’ is sheer dishonesty; many of them are either corpses or simply bad (so much for ‘hand-picked awe-inspiring just plain surprising’).

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I hope that music is an indication that Apple is continuing its partnership with the Mute Button Awareness Foundation.

s9i9Mbu.png

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Some animations looked pretty stuttery, or is that just me? I don’t think Apple really got the point across this time. Even Android devices now get most of the great and modern apps that everyone is interested in and ‘over 1.5 million of the best apps available’ is sheer dishonesty; many of them are either corpses or simply bad (so much for ‘hand-picked awe-inspiring just plain surprising’).

Exactly, because you tried out most of those 1.5 million apps to confirm that right?

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In reality the iPhone iOS and hardware are with one company Apple. That is where strengths are. As far as quality and quantity of apps go. Android is better in many areas. iOS has a lousy scientific calculator. Android has Real Calc and there simply isn't anything as good on iOS. Functional apps such as ones that indicate cell phone signal strength, WiFi, and Bluetooth power are also better on Android.

That ad may be fine in the US, but in the rest of the world, it simply won't hold water.

Reactions: tongxinshe

MattSwartSydney

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014

Most, yeah, the Android guys are really enjoying that new game, Fallout Shelter everyone is talking about. Great game btw

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Exactly, because you tried out most of those 1.5 million apps to confirm that right?

I didn’t say most, I said many. There are many apps around that have not been updated in years and either crash instantly or don’t work properly. If you use the search function and look for specific apps, you will quickly encounter the cruft of the App Store, the part that Apple doesn’t highlight anymore (for obvious reasons). The App Store has its fair share of bad apps, not everything is of a high quality. I don’t need to downloaded all of them to make an educated guess that their claim is a gross exaggeration. Apple would probably never reveal the true number of apps that were updated for the latest versions of iOS, it’s much easier to continue advertising the cumulative number.

Most, yeah, the Android guys are really enjoying that new game, Fallout Shelter everyone is talking about. Great game btw

It will come to Android though. The gap is definitely closing more and more. Personally, I don’t see the appeal of Fallout Shelter at all. It’s not even a good game among its kind, of which there are plenty in the App Store. Overrated game, to be honest. ;)

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

Android has most of the apps people want. However, iOS still gets apps first despite Android having the largest market share.

Reactions: ErikGrim

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
In reality the iPhone iOS and hardware are with one company Apple. That is where strengths are. As far as quality and quantity of apps go. Android is better in many areas. iOS has a lousy scientific calculator. Android has Real Calc and there simply isn't anything as good on iOS. Functional apps such as ones that indicate cell phone signal strength, WiFi, and Bluetooth power are also better on Android.

That ad may be fine in the US, but in the rest of the world, it simply won't hold water.

It appears you've not tried, or are familiar with PCalc.

EDIT: And PCalc has been available for iPhone since 2008.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So this half decade, Apple will strengthen their market influence. In next half, Apple will bring back what they are good at: design and implementation to the even most trivial details. I mean, they will polish a product to let it perfect in every way.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Android has most of the apps people want. However, iOS still gets apps first despite Android having the largest market share.

iOS still has a huge market share in the US and many big apps and games are either developed there or developed with the US market in mind also. That’s where the profits are, particularly for apps and games that can be internationalised easily. In Europe, Android dominates far more. The reverse is true with apps from national European companies, I see a trend where they focus on Android first, because that is where their customers are. Everyone benefits from the US market in this case, but the opposite is probably depressing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.