Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
i'm not a huge apps user, so finally, its usable for me. A couple of years ago it was a very different story.

Well if you look at it subjectively, Windows Phone has the BEST app store for my mom because the only app she uses is Facebook.

Objectively however....

Reactions: MH01

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Meh, Apple has to get over this. Having 1.5 million apps, a very large percentage of which you will NEVER see, let alone download, along with the fact that the ratings for these apps are very poor, < 2 on average, combined with the fact that the top 50 apps on all platforms is usually the same list, doesn't really speak well to how the App Store really differentiates iPhone from Android.

I would rather a platform of quality that has 1000 apps, then a platform of crap having millions of poorly rated flashlight apps.

I think from Apple's recent iPhone ads, they are starting to sound desperate as sales have tanked since the initial blast of the iPhone 6 roll-out, and iPhone 6s is still like 4-6 months away.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Works. Interesting they shows a bunch of apps with a circle in the center for the screens. Guess it fits with the whole circular layout of the iPhone's in the ad.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Android has most of the apps people want. However, iOS still gets apps first despite Android having the largest market share.

That's because market share is meaningless on its own. One must dig into that number and pic out segments, such as "what portion of that marketshare pays for apps?", and "what is the gross cashflow from that portion?", etc, etc. iOS wins hands down once you start analyzing the numbers. Android is a wasteland.

RareSloth

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2015
The trees
I agree there are too many apps in the store with poor ratings. It makes the customer experience suffer as well as the developer's experience.

If every app was required to be updated every 6 months, it could clean up some of the apps that are clogging the store. The updates would have to be significant in that something is improved or cleaned up. Most of the good apps are updating every month or two anyway.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
is there anyone... outside of the truly delusional and Apple lawyers, still believes anyone is copying Apple nowaday?

Let's be honest, Apple has been playing catch up in years now.
The thing with trademarks and patents is that if you don't defend them, they become worthless. That's why Monster tries to set back naming conventions by suing anyone that even thinks about using "Monster" in their trademark.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I freaked out a little when I noticed our game Furdemption was shown in this video... Crazy

Welcome to the club. Nice feather in your cap.

Now screen cap the ad frame showing your app in 1080p at least, print it on nice glossy paper, sign and date it with a Sharpie circling your app and frame it in your lobby or office.

Reactions: RareSloth

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
That's because market share is meaningless on its own. One must dig into that number and pic out segments, such as "what portion of that marketshare pays for apps?", and "what is the gross cashflow from that portion?", etc, etc. iOS wins hands down once you start analyzing the numbers. Android is a wasteland.

Tell that to Microsoft or IBM in there respective heydays. Both at 90% market share then and could sell ice to Eskimos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.