Apple Debuts New 'Amazing Apps' iPhone Ad

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 19, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ten days after releasing its first two iPhone ads using the new tagline of "If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone," Apple today debuted a third ad in the series. The new ad, entitled "Amazing Apps" focuses on the array of apps available in the App Store.

The latest campaign is the third series of ads for the iPhone, following an initial set from Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake and a more recent "Shot on iPhone 6" campaign that focuses on the phone's camera capabilities..

Article Link: Apple Debuts New 'Amazing Apps' iPhone Ad

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Did you all see the description?

Attached Files:

3. Dennison macrumors regular

Dennison

If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone.

Simply great.

4. misterpip macrumors member

5. KALLT macrumors 601

Some animations looked pretty stuttery, or is that just me? I don’t think Apple really got the point across this time. Even Android devices now get most of the great and modern apps that everyone is interested in and ‘over 1.5 million of the best apps available’ is sheer dishonesty; many of them are either corpses or simply bad (so much for ‘hand-picked awe-inspiring just plain surprising’).

6. HenryDJP macrumors 603

But not too forgettable to talk about it, which is exactly what you're doing. ;) I would say Apple's ad did exactly what it was intended to do. Get people talking about it, whether positive or negative. Still a win for Apple.

7. AngerDanger, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I hope that music is an indication that Apple is continuing its partnership with the Mute Button Awareness Foundation.

[​IMG]

8. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

This is the weakest of the three in this series, in my opinion. Still not that bad.

Related: At least 3,000 of those 1.5 million apps are likely Flappy Bird clones.

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Exactly, because you tried out most of those 1.5 million apps to confirm that right?

10. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

I agree with the "simply" part.

11. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

"If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone."

What the hell does that even mean? :eek:

12. mejsric, Jul 19, 2015

mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric

I like this more!

"We know how hard it is to wait for something special."

13. MacCurry macrumors 6502

In reality the iPhone iOS and hardware are with one company Apple. That is where strengths are. As far as quality and quantity of apps go. Android is better in many areas. iOS has a lousy scientific calculator. Android has Real Calc and there simply isn't anything as good on iOS. Functional apps such as ones that indicate cell phone signal strength, WiFi, and Bluetooth power are also better on Android.

That ad may be fine in the US, but in the rest of the world, it simply won't hold water.

14. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

That is a shot at the copy cats and look a likes!

15. MacCurry macrumors 6502

That is a great ad! Thanks!

16. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

Do an App Store search or three, then look past the first result. It can be a wasteland.

17. MattSwartSydney macrumors newbie

Most, yeah, the Android guys are really enjoying that new game, Fallout Shelter everyone is talking about. Great game btw

18. KALLT macrumors 601

I didn’t say most, I said many. There are many apps around that have not been updated in years and either crash instantly or don’t work properly. If you use the search function and look for specific apps, you will quickly encounter the cruft of the App Store, the part that Apple doesn’t highlight anymore (for obvious reasons). The App Store has its fair share of bad apps, not everything is of a high quality. I don’t need to downloaded all of them to make an educated guess that their claim is a gross exaggeration. Apple would probably never reveal the true number of apps that were updated for the latest versions of iOS, it’s much easier to continue advertising the cumulative number.

It will come to Android though. The gap is definitely closing more and more. Personally, I don’t see the appeal of Fallout Shelter at all. It’s not even a good game among its kind, of which there are plenty in the App Store. Overrated game, to be honest. ;)

19. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I like these new ads. This one seems to be the weakest of the new campaign though, but still a good ad.

20. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Android has most of the apps people want. However, iOS still gets apps first despite Android having the largest market share.

21. citysnaps, Jul 19, 2015

citysnaps macrumors 601

It appears you've not tried, or are familiar with PCalc.

EDIT: And PCalc has been available for iPhone since 2008.

22. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

So this half decade, Apple will strengthen their market influence. In next half, Apple will bring back what they are good at: design and implementation to the even most trivial details. I mean, they will polish a product to let it perfect in every way.

23. KALLT macrumors 601

iOS still has a huge market share in the US and many big apps and games are either developed there or developed with the US market in mind also. That’s where the profits are, particularly for apps and games that can be internationalised easily. In Europe, Android dominates far more. The reverse is true with apps from national European companies, I see a trend where they focus on Android first, because that is where their customers are. Everyone benefits from the US market in this case, but the opposite is probably depressing.

24. Huginnmuninn macrumors regular

Huginnmuninn

Weak. Reminds me of the old Mike Meyers bit, "If it's not Scottish it's crap!"