2.0 Software Cost

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dude963841, Jun 1, 2008.

1. dude963841 macrumors member

How Much do you think the new update cost?
    -$20?
    I want to be ready for the June 9th Keynote, so when it hits the iTunes Store i can get it But i need to know how large of an iTunes Card To Buy?
    Will This just be another $20 or More?:apple:

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'd guess 20USD, but it probably won't be coming right after the keynote.
    9/6 ≠ "late June."

3. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Most likely it will be $20/£13.
    It may be more, it may be less.

More because it's a ve-he-ry big update

Less perhaps for those who bought the January software update.

At this point get a $25 card. That should cover it. If it's less buy yourself one of the new apps! Win/Win situation IMO.

4. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Too much.

5. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I would think in the region of $20-50. Apple stated a 'nominal' charge, meaning a charge which Apple deem appropriate (ideal, if you will).

January saw many of us cough up $20 for 5 new application additions. v2.0 of the iPhone OS, I believe, will see even more functionality added to these devices. I don't believe for one second we saw all of the features and applications v2.0 will include at the March 6th event, what would they do within the WWDC if so? - it'd be pretty dull if all we got for our dosh was another 'store' - in which we all ultimately generates more revenue for Apple - and some enterprise functionality which - tbh - I couldn't give a flying hoot about, being a general user - No, Apple have something planned (Consumer Focused) to get you to dig into your pockets once more - we just don't know what 'that' is yet.

I'd guess at $34.95, they may stick at $20, but I doubt it. It's too bigger of an opportunity for them to cash in BIG. It's famed to be a HUGE update, they won't let it pass without milking it for all it's worth, after all, it's Apple :cool:. They're seen as the designer label of desktop computing & software, the world-over.

Apple have become a software company, digital distribution and commercial software is the future of them.

Heck, they could even charge $79 and people would pay it.

R-Fly

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I doubt it. It'll be the same for all users, Apple doesn't "do" upgrade pricing.

$20 is my guess for the cost.

7. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I think it'll be $20, but you'll have to have the Jan upgrade before upgrading. That way Apple gets $40 for both packages, which seems to work.

8. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I highly doubt that. Apple would be a team of idiots if they charged anything more than $25.00 for the v2.0 update. They know, as well as I do and you should, that if they charge $35, lots of people will stay JailBroken, and many more will switch to JB. As for me, if they charge anything more than $35 (Sadly, I as an individual would pay up to $35, anything more I would JB) I won't do it.

I'm thinking another $20, maybe $25 because there will only be 1 or 2 apps (probably) included in the update, although a lot of other features will be added.

Anyways, I'm excited, hoping they release v2.0 on June 9th for $20
    Thanks for reading!
    ~Austin~

Edit: Also, I think the JSU apps will be sold as a package in the App Store, as well as future software updates to the iPod touch software. People would be pissed if they included the JSU apps and 2.0 for the same $20 price. Possibly 2.0 and JSU seperately for $20 each and a bundled package for $35.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I hope it's $25 like last time, any more than that is getting a bit much in my opinion.

Apple dropped the price of all /A iPod touches by $25 when the software update came out in January. They've since dropped the /A iPod touches by another $50 to sell off the last of those units.

A history of iPod touch prices in Aus:

Initial Announcement:
    8GB /A - $419
    16GB /A - $549

January:
    8GB /A - $374
    16GB /A - $474
    8GB /B - $399
    16GB /B - $499

iPhone/iPod touch capacity update:
    8GB /A - $374
    8GB /B - $399
    16GB /A - $474
    16GB /B - $499
    32GB /B - $629

May 2008:
    8GB /A - $324
    8GB /B - $399
    16GB /A - $424
    16GB /B - $499
    32GB /B - $629

I really hope that upgrade isn't going to be $50... That'll seriously annoy me.

10. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

My guess would be under 15$ for just the app store. Anything more than that is very unlikely unless they bundle a few apps with it.

11. jmadlena Guest

I don't know too many audio players that get free updates that allow apps to be installed. There is nothing wrong with charging for your work.

12. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Depends how much they charge dosen't it

13. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Wait one more week...then find out! Everything else is here-say! :D

14. jmadlena Guest

But you make it sound like Apple has a history of charging a ridiculous amount for upgrading the iPod touch software. $20 isn't that much. They could charge a lot more, because it really changes the whole device; adds a lot of value.

The point is, until they announce how much it will cost, it is all speculation. And I don't think it is fair to assume that it will be "too much." They have shown that they will charge some 'nominal' amount, and I believe it will stay that way.

But hey, I could be wrong.

15. Resist macrumors 68030

Maybe in your world! Apple does have a history of charging a ridiculous amount for upgrades.

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

Such as?

17. Resist macrumors 68030

The last Touch update....$20 for 5 apps. Come on!

18. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

... two of which (Wheather & Stocks) are pretty useless to the general user, not worth $5 a piece anyhow.

R-Fly

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Speak for yourself. I use the Weather widget, and the Stocks widget could be quite useful. Besides, the other three are more than worth the $20 alone. You make it sound like you deserve to be given more than you originally paid for instead of actually buying things that you want to be able to use. Do you expect your car manufacturer to upgrade your radio for free when they add satellite radio to a new line of cars, or to give you whatever new feature they come out with just because it can be retrofitted for yours?

jW

20. Resist macrumors 68030

Not really. Is throwing money away your hobby or profession?

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Mail is worth $10
    Notes is worth $5
    And the rest are worth about $2 each.

22. Resist macrumors 68030

I will admit mail is a worthy feature but I still don't think we should have had to pay for it, considering it came free with the Touch so soon after the initial Touch's release.

23. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Depending on how you spin it, it is very easy to argue that it didn't come free with the touch at all...

Rather, Apple simply decided it was time to discount the price charged for the iPod Touch's hardware. Coincidentally, Apple also decided at around the same time to add significant new software features at an additional cost. The hardware discount and the software premium simply happened to cancel each other out. :rolleyes:

24. istealth macrumors newbie

It should be $0 their justification to charge ipod owners (cause of Sarbanes Oxley) is pure B.S.! SOX is about internal controls not necessisarly accounting treatment.

25. FieryBalrog macrumors newbie

The Touch isn't just positioned as an audio player. Things like the Palm TX which are in the same price range are simply... open platforms from the start, no need to jump through hoops to get third party apps and support (which are just begging to be written for the Touch).