Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
You know something, it's been happening for years and I still don't understand the attraction for American Football fans to go posting their "woot woot soccerball sucks" stuff. You don't see fans of other sports doing it in other threads, I wonder why followers of this particular sport exhibit such insecurity about Association Football. Perhaps it's just something to occupy themselves with during all the tedious ad breaks? I don't know.

If you want to discuss NFL or other gridiron gubbings post in the relevant thread.
I see from his/her post history that he/she has already found a thread or two on the subject, perhaps his/her virtual piss up the wall contest will be better received there.

Right, if anyone needs me I'll be in the Wimbledon thread telling them badminton is a proper man's sport, in the NFL thread proclaiming anyone who wears a helmet to play a sport is a proper cissy, lecturing the baseball thread regulars that only women use big gloves like that, and on the Formula 1 thread explaining why any vehicle without pedals is designed for girls. It'll prove what a proper bloke I am and all that. :cool:

Phil-Brown-Lectures-Hull-on-Pitch-Man-City_1688729.jpg

That's me telling them like it is.

Oh, and Valencia's gone to Manchester United, if anyone's interested.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
You know something, it's been happening for years and I still don't understand the attraction for American Football fans to go posting their "woot woot soccerball sucks" stuff. You don't see fans of other sports doing it in other threads, I wonder why followers of this particular sport exhibit such insecurity about Association Football. Perhaps it's just something to occupy themselves with during all the tedious ad breaks? I don't know.

My guess is they thought they were going to an NFL thread, got annoyed when they discovered it wasn't, then felt like they had leave their mark. Gives you high hopes for the civility of the NFL threads.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Got rid of the trolling, left Jaffa's comments as they are considered and clearly Football (I'll not call it "soccer", thanks) is a real man's game and nothing in the civilised world short of Elephant Polo is quite a manly...

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I only just found the new thread :eek:

I generally don't like to follow the media in silly season just because they make up pure crap in order to sell papers/adverts and I usually end up talking about the pure crap that they make up and it just makes me mad.

I'll have to read through the long thread you lot having been creating in my absence.

I still haven't watched the drubbing the Germans' rightfully gave our stupidly weakened team.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Just an FYI, 46 days until the first games of the premier league season.
Blimey, not long for us to completely balls up our transfers then. :eek:

On a related matter, I've heard today that erstwhile Tiger Ryan France is over at Hillsborough having a trial with Fizzoid and pachyderm's boys. Hopefully he'll impress and earn himself a contract.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Indeed he is. Apparently he has a history of knee related injuries, so he should fit right in, and get in the 'First XI Treatment Room' squad :)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
He had a bad cruciate ligament injury a couple of years ago, kept him out for quite a while. He's been fine since, though.

He's a model pro though and very versatile. He's also a boyhood Wendies fan and actually started his youth career at Hillsborough, so he'll want to do well there. I reckon he'd be a fine signing for you.

France Fact™ – Ryan holds the Hull City club record for the highest number of substitute appearances.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
I've missed the trolling post. shucks.

Same. But still...

I see from his/her post history that he/she has already found a thread or two on the subject, perhaps his/her virtual piss up the wall contest will be better received there.

Right, if anyone needs me I'll be in the Wimbledon thread telling them badminton is a proper man's sport, in the NFL thread proclaiming anyone who wears a helmet to play a sport is a proper cissy, lecturing the baseball thread regulars that only women use big gloves like that, and on the Formula 1 thread explaining why any vehicle without pedals is designed for girls. It'll prove what a proper bloke I am and all that. :cool:

View attachment 180138

That's me telling them like it is.

Oh, and Valencia's gone to Manchester United, if anyone's interested.

Boom! Soccerball fights back.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
The Indipendant said:
Michael Owen expects to have a choice of either Aston Villa or Everton when his Newcastle United contract runs out today. He is very unlikely to join a Premier League struggler, with the Owen camp confident that the two clubs that finished directly behind the big four last season will make an offer.

Owen, 29, has made it clear that his first choice is Everton but Martin O'Neill, the Villa manager, is also expected to offer Owen a deal that would be heavily incentivised. Under the terms of his Newcastle deal Owen is entitled to another four weeks of his £108,0000-a-week salary from Newcastle this month if he does not sign for another club on the same terms. That is an common agreement in place with most players should there be a period of unemployment when they come out of contract.

Newcastle fans will feel differently about their financially ravaged club having to shell out another £432,000 on Owen this month but they have no choice and will be obliged to do the same for the out of contract Mark Viduka who is on £65,000 a week. Even if Owen signs for Everton or Villa this month, Newcastle will be obliged to make up any shortfall in his contract until the start of next month.

Despite the cynicism towards Owen from many quarters, the striker is still in demand. So much so that offers from Stoke City and Hull are likely to be much further down the queue. The former England striker is an attractive proposition because he can be signed on a short-term deal – possibly even a one-year contract – with the promise of an extra year if he plays a certain number of games. Meanwhile, Newcastle have asked Colin Calderwood to come back to work with Chris Hughton during pre-season.
[Link]

NOOOOOOOOooo......

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Given that we apparently weren't one of the clubs sent a glossy Michael Owen brochure, I suspect our chances of signing him are slim at best.

Bad luck, Mitty. :p

I love Mike Owen. But I'd rather see him not* play in an Everton or Villa kit. They can afford to let him convalesce for a couple of season or two... ;)

* As in, "Damn he gets hurt a lot!". ;)

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Looks like it's official: Lyon have announced that they have accepted RM's offer for Benzema :(

Was really hoping to see him go to Old Trafford.

As if I didn't hate RM enough already...

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
What strikes me, as well as the cash they're spending on transfer fees and wages, is the length of the deals Real are signing their new players to. Ronaldo and Kaka both have six-year deals, and reports are that Benzema has been offered the same length of contract.

If one of them snaps a leg then Real might have to make quite a hefty payment to terminate their deal...

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
What strikes me, as well as the cash they're spending on transfer fees and wages, is the length of the deals Real are signing their new players to. Ronaldo and Kaka both have six-year deal, and reports are that Benzema has been offered the same length of contract.

If one of them snaps a leg then Real might have to make quite a hefty payment to terminate their deal...

Filthy rich though. Filthy.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Ages since I have posted on here! Did I miss anything fun, what was this about trolling?

Anyway it's the 1st of July and the Premiership has been full of player transfers.... Sorry have I missed something?

It's been very boring hasn't it. Valencia has left Wigan for Man Utd. (do you think Valencia have a player called Wigan who will now have to change his name to Man Utd?) Pretty boring really.

Hull are doing their usual, what the f**k do we do trick. Oh I heard so-and-soo is available lets offer him a contract and then wait whilst everyone else catches up and offers a better deal. :eek:

Hey ho.

And Hull City have unveiled their new strip for next season. Not too shabby, I would like to have seen the blue more of a royal blue but they look OK.

I now have the pleasure of forking out another £40 to become a home member for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.