Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
The more I think about it, the less of a problem I have with signing Owen. He's a free transfer, most likely won't mind playing in a Tevez-like role next year (e.g. coming off the bench), and despite his lessened pace he still has a very good eye for goal. If he's healthy enough, Utd will give him much better service than he ever got at Newcastle and he'll have many more opportunities to score. He'll also be motivated by a chance to come back to the English national team if he can stay healthy and perform.

I can see a parallel to, say, the Teddy Sheringham or Henrick Larssen transfers here. Or at least I hope it works out that way.

I'd still love to see Aguero come in, too. But maybe it would be for the best to give Macheda a greater role.

EDIT: Owen has officially signed a two year deal.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I was thinking of Sheringham as well. I think the better comparison would be Ole Gunner Sjoelskar. A super sub that comes off the bench. The only thing is that OGS had no prolem coming off the bench. Will Owen accept that role? Since he signed today, I have to assume he has.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Man U's new away kit:

manchester-united-09-10-nike-shirt-leaked.jpg

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
A couple of things from Arseblog:

This has just reached me. Emmanuel Adebayor's people have produced a brochure, similar to the one used to attract interest in Michael Owen, to help 'sell' him to other clubs.

Arseblog has exclusively received a copy and you can download it for yourself here.

Quite funny..

And on the shirts:

Remember during the week I expressed my dismay at the new third kit? And I mentioned these focus groups that Nike have where they get the opinion of Arsenal fans. Anyway, an anonymous participant in one of these focus groups engaged me in some correspondence during the week and some of the ideas are just hilarious.

Remember the first white kit with the 'commemorative' writing on it. Well, one of Nike's suggestions was a kit with Arsene Wenger's face embossed into it in the same way. Seriously. Can you imagine? As Johnny Whistleblower, for that is what I call him, said:

Opposition teams would be crying with laughter, maybe this is all part of the plan to help us win. Maybe we should be thanking Nike for the innovative strategy to help Arsenal be more successful.

Honestly though, if that's the kind of stuff they're coming up with maybe we should count our blessings that what we've got isn't much, much worse.

Hah :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It does seem an odd color choice, light blue for United...and the more I see it, the less I like the big chevron.

Wow XIII, those focus groups must be smoking crack!...are we poised for another period of crazy shirt designs like the early 90s? Maybe Hull City will really go back to the tiger stripes...:eek:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
It's a good job Adidas didn't do the same thing with Newcastle United's shirt last season. The rate they went through managers each version would only have a shelf life of a couple of months.

I doubt very much Tiger stripes will be making a comeback though, your Lordship. ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I also wonder which number Owen will wear, given that his favoured '10' shirt is already amply occupied by Rooney.

I would go with "5", since he might prove to be half the striker he once was. :D

This is a good move for Owen, though he might find it difficult to get any international caps if he rides the bench most of the time. Capello only picks players who play.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
i think that the Arizona Cardinals dont really have a chance again. my money is on either the Pittsburgh Steelers or New England Patr.......wait........:p;)

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
A couple of things from Arseblog:

Ade Brochure said:
This synergetic, dynamic, diversity streamlined footballer can bring globalization and proactive leverage going forward.

If that doesn't attract the interest of the number-crunching, spread-sheeting professional types that run Man City I don't know what will!

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Man U's new away kit:

manchester-united-09-10-nike-shirt-leaked.jpg

Hideous

I do like the new Valencia stuff though....
valencia-09-10-kappa-kits-3.jpg

i think that the Arizona Cardinals dont really have a chance again. my money is on either the Pittsburgh Steelers or New England Patr.......wait........:p;)

Love to see the Cardinals return but doubtful...

Watch it... :p

View attachment 180953

Meanwhile, I'm hearing a rumour we're looking at Dietmar Hamann. Given that he's 36 next month this might not be a long-term signing.

I was just looking at the AS site yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.