Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ummm this one https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1101370/

I have the imac since june, and i can confirm the dust seeping thru behind the lcd, and it would look like a water come thru and dried. You can't clean it or rub it cause it's behind the lcd. Luckily apple exchange the lcd as it's under warranty.

That's really strange. I have two iMacs, a 2008 24" C2D and a 2010 27" i7 and neither one have any dust under them. I'm not discounting your experience, but I have to think the dust thing is the exception to the rule.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If the screen is laminated to the enclosure does that portend it will be disposable like the other laminated Apple products or will it make it easier to do DIY upgrades/repairs? If you can't remove the glass like the current iMacs then entry would have to be in the back or by sliding out the entire logic board from bottom. But either of those solutions is contrary to Apple's current unibody theme.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
Finally imac rumors!!!!

Hopefully the 27" is not too far behind the 21.5" I am waiting for the 27" and am tired of waiting lol

Jason Garza

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
I was really hoping that the iMac would have a all new design. It seems they are stuck on making current designs ever slimmer.

Move on apple the current iMac design is play'd.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I was really hoping that the iMac would have a all new design. It seems they are stuck on making current designs ever slimmer.

Move on apple the recent iMac design is play'd.

It's a screen with the computer inside the monitor. What more can they possibly do with it?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
any word on specs or if the display will be retina?

No word yet that I've seen anywhere. To the best of my knowledge this story is the real first significant rumor we have on the forthcoming model.

I do have hopes for a retina display for it, but they may do that on the 21" first and wait on doing the 27" later, kind of like the MacBook Pro retina.

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
Good to see a rumor surface on the iMac finally. This paragraph from the article intrigued me.

I wonder what is meant by it being so thin from a side profile that one cannot gauge its thickness. What are we talking here, less than a quarter of an inch?

If so, that would tell me, that there would be no more HDD availability and only SSD for storage. Then the next challenge would be the fans, how thin can they make a fan and still have it dissapaite heat efficiently?

I like the idea of the laminated screen for better resolution and thinness. It would be cool to see if they make the screen cover the full face of it with the tiniest of a bezel around it.

If my thoughts are even close to what they end up shipping, I may get one though I don't need one per se!

I think they mean kind of like the MacBook Air's... how if you look at it from the side, it looks a lot thinner than it actually is because of the way it's tapered... just my guess.

element1108

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Toronto

Move on apple the current iMac design is play'd.

I disagree, it can't really get more design friendly. Apart from size and materials, it's basically a monitor. I would love to have whatever the design is filled with desktop components and an more than adequate cooling system. What IS play's IMhO is the mid 2011 hardware.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I would generally agree that thinner isn't necessary for a desktop, though it may be beneficial if Apple intends to implement the hybrid design they patented awhile ago:

xlarge_20543240b914a137658ac436714ae949.jpg

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
thinner body or not, the iMac suffers 2 majors issues that need to be solved:

- fan noise / heat extraction
- "dust" under screen panel after a few months/years of use

so i hope that this is not simply a new aesthetic redesign but also a functional redesign

I have a 27 inch 2009 and for 3 years I have not had any dust or fan/noise issues. And this ibeast is on constantly. Maybe the computer gods have been kind to me.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I think they mean kind of like the MacBook Air's... how if you look at it from the side, it looks a lot thinner than it actually is because of the way it's tapered... just my guess.

I would generally agree that thinner isn't necessary for a desktop, though it may be beneficial if Apple intends to implement the hybrid design they patented awhile ago:

The tapering could certainly be what the statement means, but I think they'll still try and go thinner just like they seem to do with all their products.

That's a neat patent idea, but if they implement it, I'm not sure how much I'd use something like that. I love my iPad, but I do prefer a keyboard and mouse on the iMac for many tasks that can be done on the iPad, but in a more cumbersome manner.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I guess the Chinese are as good as anyone for also manufacturing rumors.

Last edited:

r018u

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Lots of you are missing valid points with the thinness argument.

Less space and less weight means more units on each shipment journey, not to mention the amount of carbon that will be saved from spewing into the atmosphere.

Less resources means less money spent, and less damage to the environment (not on a manufacturing level which remain the same, but the transportation).

I'm also guessing smaller components take less energy to run (I'm not an electrician or engineer, it's just common sense).

Then you get to actual use, where Apple obviously have their own performance targets they drew up even before designing the new iMac. And they base those targets on their target audience (most of you guys).

So I'm personally confident the new iMac will be a a great new machine that fixes previous problems and minimizes future problems with it's design...

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Good bye useless CD/DVD Drive!

Apple continues to drop this component = :D

What will be left with it? The Pro and the 13" Macbook Pro which might drop it (i.e. that model) when the 13" rMBP hits.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Looks like they're on their way. What are we going to complain about now?

No Mac minis, duh!

I'm glad to finally see some iMac news. I really want to buy a new one but I won't pay a higher price unless I have easy access to install all the mods I wish. I have been window shopping for desktops for a while and with windows 8 around the corner there are some nice competitor products launching soon. But I prefer OSX , I'm hoping this update is bananas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.