Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Ivy Bridge is 6 months old... how is that new tech?

He's talking about the screens, not the processor. Although Ivy bridge would be 'new' in terms of use in these computers

Remember, Apple rare rushes to use the latest and greatest the moment it comes out just because it is the latest and 'greatest'. They test first in general. So if using something that is six months old means using something stable, they tend to go that way

Last edited:

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
It might be a new line of iMacs, similar to the rMBP / MBP. Considering that until today we had no idea it would be using 2.5" disks, can we really rule out retina, even though not necessarily 2x-res? Perhaps that's what this new skinnier model is about.
I'm personally not thrilled about 2.5" (unless it's SSD at a decent price) and I'm terrified of soldered RAM. I hope this is a new line and the current "fat" (!?) iMacs will live on for a short while longer. (No, I couldn't care less about the ODD: I have an external drive already.)
I guess we'll see in two weeks...

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
It might be a new line of iMacs, similar to the rMBP / MBP. Considering that until today we had no idea it would be using 2.5" disks, can we really rule out retina, even though not necessarily 2x-res? Perhaps that's what this new skinnier model is about.
I'm personally not thrilled about 2.5" (unless it's SSD at a decent price) and I'm terrified of soldered RAM. I hope this is a new line and the current "fat" (!?) iMacs will live on for a short while longer. (No, I couldn't care less about the ODD: I have an external drive already.)
I guess we'll see in two weeks...

Yes I am to wondering the same thing.. I guess we will find out soon enough for sure and then we can make our minds up about which one to buy.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Umm, both the 2011 and the 2010 models will hold 32GB.

If they start to pull stunts like soldering ram into their iMac, I am guessing it will ship with 8gb ram standard, with options to upgrade to 16 ram (unsure about 32gb, apple has never been known for being generous with specs). One thing's for sure, not gonna be cheap; all those upgrades are gonna bleed us dry. :(

I mean, can you imagine the price of 1 tb of ssd storage??? :eek:

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Woohoo!!!! Even though I dont have the cash to buy a new one!!!!!!!! :D Thinner isnt always better and with something as large as an iMac i dont think its necessary. Apple should really concentrate on delivering a desktop GPU to its customers instead of the mobile chips it uses in its 'desktops' Now that the MacPro has been pretty much abandoned by Apple then maybe an iMac Pro will have a nice ring to it but only if it delivers on the power that a power using professional requires.

You have been around a long time. You should know that there will never be an iMac pro or a headless iMac.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Yes I am to wondering the same thing.. I guess we will find out soon enough for sure and then we can make our minds up about which one to buy.

I know that I'm going to wait for the first unit to be delivered and reviewed before ordering. I'm not going to be a test subject with a rev. A machine... I just can't afford to. Good thing Apple expanded the Black Friday discounts to the province of the empire, so if I have to wait a full month I'll at least pay it less. :)

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
And let's not forget when the 3rd gen iPad came out people complained because it was ever so slightly thicker and heavier. No you can't compare and iPad to a desktop but it seems people whine about things being too thin until Apple releases something thicker and then they whine about that too.

But the point they're making is that an iMac is a desktop. It's pretty darn thin for a desktop now, and Apple has been having trouble fitting reliable, powerful parts into the last couple of models. Making it thinner will just increase that challenge for no real added user benefit.

The iPad, on the other hand gets carried around and held up in the air while using it. Thinner, and especially lighter are very important to it's function.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
No one? I don't want a disc drive and I want it to be thinner.

It'a 2012, not 2006.

Forget the disc drive for a minute. As others have pointed out, this also means going from a desktop style HDD to a laptop-style one. And there may need to be other compromises as well.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Well I'm kinda late to the party, but first of all...

rejoice.jpg

Wow it's almost unbelievable that there's actually an iMac leak on here! :eek:

I don't like:
- thinner (more susceptible to problems)
- more expensive (you're kidding me, right? unless it's retina)

I like:
- water droplet curved back
- laminated screen
- new iMac! :D

MsQueen

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Baltimore, MD
To the people questioning, we may only see now that there is an aesthetic redesign, but why on earth after how many years, would Apple not upgrade the functionality of the iMac as well? Given this is true, we're sure to see not only a thinner iMac, but a faster, more powerful one too. Just wait ;)

basesnow

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
I wanted to wait for a new iMac, but I decided to go with the MBPr. I made the right decision. Way more computer than I need, it is awesome. I can see why someone would want a desktop though, especially if you have an iPad.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully with matte display option, even if more expensive. No matte option, no purchase. It is a deal breaker because it is a health and productivity issue. Search Google for MacMatte for more information.

Well then you better start researching the PC you are going to buy. Because Apple has sales numbers to back up how popular or not matte screens were and based on their current trends it is likely not. So you aren't ever likely to get your matte screen even if you gripe for another five years. Learn how to properly light a space or get the damn PC already

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
To the people questioning, we may only see now that there is an aesthetic redesign, but why on earth after how many years, would Apple not upgrade the functionality of the iMac as well? Given this is true, we're sure to see not only a thinner iMac, but a faster, more powerful one too. Just wait ;)

it will be faster and more powerful even if its thinner. rmbp is powerful, a 27" imac has even more space for the hardware. Im guessing most of the space they saved was on the screen.

Khadgar

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Finally some news on the iMacs.

I currently have a 2006 Mac Pro that can only be updated to Mountain Lion after turning it into a hackintosh that needs replacing. I've been looking to replace it with a 27" iMac as it should meet what I personally need out of a computer because of thunderbolt. When I bought the Mac Pro in 2006 the iMacs didn't. Things change, and hopefully my pocketbook will be a bit happier for it.

I'm just sitting here for over half a year waiting for a computer upgrade that just doesn't seem to come. I'm not going to fork over big money for hardware that's almost a year and a half old. I don't want a notebook computer. I want a desktop for getting work done.

I couldn't care any less about the thing's being thinner. If these computers were delayed simply because of engineering problems due to making them thinner it makes this scenario that much more pathetic. However, if the delays are simply due to trying to improve the situation with burning the screens then that's a good reason for delaying the computers.

Current iMacs have severe heat problems, and I can't help but worry that by making them thinner these hot components are going to be that much closer to the display and make it that much more prone to burning the display. The only hope against that is that they've come up with a much better solution for drawing heat out of the machine than exists in their current models. It's only a waste of my time to have to take a burned computer back to the Apple Store for replacement which I've done twice before.

Just seems pathetic the richest company in the world isn't capable of maintaining a consistent update schedule on their entire product line.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
They probably ditched the optical drive. Outside the reality distortion field, this is a cost cut that warrants a price cut, but inside the reality distortion field, 'freedom from optical drive' is a favor to the user that warrants a price hike.

The funny thing is the mac mini did get a 100 dollar price hike when they redesigned it with the thinner case and soon after ditched the optical drive.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
A genius at an Apple store = someone with no more information than any of us. There's no point in quoting one unless he has an idea that one one else has had.

And he won't. Giving that info to store staff is asking for some nice illegal insider trading to happen. And with an employee discount to boot (if those rumors are true)

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Would really like to see the rMBP13" at the 23rd event!

But wouldn't Apple make a separate event, if both iMac and rMBP is in the making, and not steal the iPads glow?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
No one? I don't want a disc drive and I want it to be thinner.

It'a 2012, not 2006.

Okay it's 2012 so let's ditch disc drive. Then what?

What's with making it thinner? Does it necessary? What's the advantage of a desktop non portable computer being thinner? So I can bring it to Starbucks more easily? :rolleyes:

Or so it can use a slower and weaker component and graphics than it already is due to reduced thickness?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.