2012 Ivy Bridge Macbook Pro Specs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TyleRomeo, Dec 20, 2011.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Okay here are the specs. Enjoy.

$1199

13 inch Macbook Pro Redesign
    1440 by 900 display
    2.6 GHz Core i5 3320M/IvyBridge GPU 512MB Shared Memory with Quick Sync support
    64GB GB SSD Boot (m-SATA)
    Extra internal HDD slot for expansion up to 750GB (pricey due to flooding)
    4GB RAM (RAM support up to 16GB, OWC this)
    NO ODD (Obvious, DVDSP, IDVD are dead)
    2xUSB 3.0 (Thank you Ivy Bridge)
    Thunderbolt (obvious)
    FW800 (Still there)
    SD Slot (I'd prefer XQD but doubtful)

Lighter than 4.5 lbs
    Thinner than .95 inches
    10 hour battery

$1499

13 inch Macbook Pro Redesign
    1440 by 900 display
    2.9GH Dual-Core i7-3520M/IvyBridge GPU 512MB Shared Memory with Quick Sync support
    128GB GB SSD Boot (m-SATA)
    Thunderbolt (obvious)
    FW800 (Still there)

Lighter than 4.5 lbs
    Thinner than .95 inches
    10 hour battery

$1799

15 inch Macbook Pro Redesign
    1680 by 1050 display
    2.6GHz Quad-Core i7-3720QM/IvyBridge GPU 512MB Shared Memory with Quick Sync support
    AMD/NVIDIA Mid Level Card with 512MB Dedicated GPU RAM
    128GB GB SSD Boot (m-SATA)
    Thunderbolt (obvious)
    FW800 (Still there)

Lighter than 5.5 lbs
    Thinner than .95 inches
    10 hour battery

$2199

15 inch Macbook Pro Redesign
    1680 by 1050 display
    2.7GHz Quad-Core i7-3820QM/IvyBridge GPU 512MB Shared Memory with Quick Sync support
    AMD/NVIDIA High Performance Card with 1GB Dedicated GPU RAM
    256GB GB SSD Boot (m-SATA)
    8GB RAM (RAM support up to 16GB, OWC this)
    Thunderbolt (obvious)
    FW800 (Still there)

Lighter than 5.5 lbs
    Thinner than .95 inches
    10 hour battery

$2499

17 inch Macbook Pro Redesign
    1920 by 1200 display
    2.7GHz Quad-Core i7-3820QM/IvyBridge GPU 512MB Shared Memory with Quick Sync support
    AMD/NVIDIA High Performance Card with 1GB Dedicated GPU RAM
    256GB GB SSD Boot (m-SATA)
    2x internal HDD slot for expansion up to 1.5TB (pricey due to flooding)
    8GB RAM (RAM support up to 16GB, OWC this)
    3xUSB 3.0 (Thank you Ivy Bridge)
    Thunderbolt (obvious)
    FW800 (Still there)
    Express Card Slot 34

Lighter than 6.8 lbs
    Thinner than 1 inches
    10 hour battery

Look for upgrade options in CPU, RAM, SSD, HDD from Apple. Look elsewhere like OWC for much more appropriate upgrade options to actually purchase.

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I hope you're wrong. I'm expecting 2-3GB vRAM (7870M or GT 670M) and a faster CPU, as Ivy Bridge is built on the 22nm process. This means that we can see about 19% less heat and 12% less power consumption.

3. happle macrumors 6502a

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

You think the 13" will still have a dual core processor? I really hope you are wrong on that. Actually, I am hoping for a slower-clocked quad-core processor for the 13" Pro...add in a slimmer design and I will be a buyer and my trusty ol' 15" Pro (2010) can be retired to a family member. :)

5. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure Ivy Bridge will run cooler at the same clock speed. Hence the faster CPU speeds I've posted. 45W Ivy Bridge CPU still eats up as much as a 45W Sandy Bridge CPU. They will be able to have a larger battery with the extra free space from the lack of an optical drive. 2-3GB of VRAM, in your dreams. This is Apple, not Alienware. With the Ivy Bridge GPU along with the dedicated graphics, these machines will support 3 displays, Apple doesn't care to throw in the top of the line GPU with max RAM just for the .1 % that think its going to happen.

----------

So far the 35W quad core ivy chips have yet to materialize. Maybe with variable CPU throttling over battery use they can make that happen. But right now count on dual core chips in this size.

----------

Because with enough market research, Apple is a very predictable company in terms of computer components. Do some research and you'll find plenty of examples. Apple is a company that compromises top of the line performance for beautiful esthetics and a unified production lineup. So say hello to SSD and say goodbye to ODD.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Rubbish, they're just pure speculation.

7. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

This is MacRumors. :p

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Indeed. OP is presenting them as fact, not a rumour however.

9. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

People speculate here all the time. If you don't like it, there's Apple.com.

Is that so?

10. beosound3200, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011

beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

i agree with everything except 2x hdd, i dont think thats gonna happen, it will be mSATA ssd + 1x hdd with tapered design similar to macbook air, not the same, similar... and of course much bigger battery, expecting 2+ more hours out of it...

but i am also hoping for those retina displays, do those even exist in reality? :)

11. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

This would be my guess as well. And I do hope we'll still have the ability to replace that hd ftw.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

First of all, the two sentences are a complete oxymoron.

Secondly, the fastest CPU in the 2011 MBP range is the second fastest in Intel's lineup. The CPU I am referring to is very expensive and the performance gains are negligible for most users.

13. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

First of all, read into the statement a bit further. Apple will make SSD standard on all their machines and will kill of the ODD on all their machines, hence a unified lineup. Out with the old and in with the new. Remember the floppy drives or modems.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I guess I can drop my two cents as well.

$1199 13" MBP

1440x900 13.3" screen
    Intel i5-3320M
    Intel HD 4000
    4GB RAM
    500GB 5400rpm

$1499 13" MBP

1440x900 13.3" screen
    Intel i7-3520M
    Intel HD 4000
    4GB RAM
    750GB 5400rpm

$1799 15" MBP

1680x1050 15.4" screen
    Intel i7-3615QM
    AMD "Thames" based GPU (most likely to be branded as 74xxM series) with 512MB GDDR5
    4GB RAM
    500GB 5400rpm

$2199 15" MBP

1680x1050 15.4" screen
    Intel i7-3720QM
    AMD "Chelsea" based GPU (most likely to be branded as 77xxM series) with 1GB GDDR5
    4GB RAM
    750GB 5400rpm

$2499 17" MBP

1920x1200 17" screen
    Intel i7-3720QM
    AMD "Chelsea" based GPU (most likely to be branded as 77xxM series) with 1GB GDDR5
    4GB RAM
    750GB 5400rpm

No redesign, no SSD as standard, no quad core in 13".

There is i7-3612QM which has TDP of 35W. I don't expect Apple to use it, though.

15. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah you're right, the second HDD is a bit of wishful thinking. In terms of space in the 17inch, there is room for two with the optical drive out. Just like the 27 iMac supports more storage than the 21 inch iMac does. Apple will likely not give us an ultimate Mac Pro replacement, but rather have us rely on the cloud for more storage.

----------

I was thinking about that chip but I agree its unlikely they will use it.

----------

No this is a forum, my specs are based on facts on existing parts. They aren't grandiose but simply realistic.

I'd personally love a 15 inch Macbook Pro with an 8 core 3GHZ i7 chip (4GHZ turbo) with a 480GB SSD sandforce driven boot drive along with a RAID 0 6TB media drive with 32GB of RAM, 2GB of VRAM, under 5 lbs, 10 hour battery life for $1999. Oh and if it could levitate on command via Siri that would be sweet. Is that a better rumour for you?

16. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I read the statement perfectly fine. The two sentences next to each are still an oxymoron and the first statement is simply not true. If it was, then we wouldn't have MBPs with 2.5 GHz quad core CPUs.

17. drewyboy macrumors 65816

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own. In all seriousness, I hope your wrong on the redesign and SSD not being standard (don't care about 13"). I'm wishfully thinking they keep HDD in 13" and push out SSD + HDD combo on 15 & 17.

Only reason I care about redesign is to get rid of ODD. But I have to remember this is Apple, since when to they do a redesign and a complete overhaul in internals :(

So realistically in a 15" I'm hoping for high res is now standard (only option), case redesign (to get rid of ODD), and SSD + HDD combo, and of course updated CPU and GPU (I heard NVIDIA has something up there sleeve around this time). So 3 things are just normal upgrades and 2 are kind of "new".

Edit: After reading above paragraph, I realized that is kind of a overhaul on internals... oh well, I can dream :)

18. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't know all that mattered was that Apple offered a top of line CPU option. OWC offers 16GB of RAM inside the macs, they offer 8GB. Their video cards are never top of the line, usually 6700m series. The iMac gets that honor with the 6900m series although its desktop. How about hard drive choices, while yes they offer a 750GB 7200rpm drive, who is it from. How many platters are they using. How about SSDs, what is their controller or memory supplier. Why can I get a 3rd party SSD that is twice as fast? So is there a compromise, of course there is.

19. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Still doesn't make your prediction fact.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I certainly hope that the update will be more than just a speed bump. However, during the years, I have learned that substantial updates are very rare, so counting on one on every update only disappoints you. There were people hoping for the dramatic refresh in 2011, and it didn't happen. Maybe 2012 is the year, or maybe it's 2013. Personally I'm counting on 2013 due to Haswell (looks very interesting atm) and cheaper SSD prices.

Apple uses various suppliers but all drives Apple use are 9.5mm and hence double platter.

Samsung and Toshiba in MBAs (one OEM may not be able to meet the demand), Toshiba in others. Both have their own NAND fabs and in-house controllers.

Because Apple has to think about something else than just speed. Nearly all SATA 6Gb/s SSDs (Samsung 830 being the only one without widespread issues) have suffered from some degree of issues. Nobody benefits from a problematic SSD, it ruins the whole product. At that point, nobody cares if it scores twice as high speeds in benchmarks. Heck, a regular user won't even notice the difference between the SSDs.

Reliability and supply are far more important than performance for an OEM like Apple.

21. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I am not sure what the fact that Apple only offers 8 GB of (overpriced) RAM has to do with this conversation since the MBP SUPPORTS 16 GBs of RAM. If it didn't, then I could understand the gripe.

Heat is an issue hence the lack of 6900M.

Twice as fast? I've tested the difference between the "fast" OCZ Vertex 3 and the "slow" Samsung SSD in the MBA. It's not something a user would notice, like Hellhammer said. Never mind the reliability issues of these "fast" SSDs.

If you don't believe me about the speed differences, then check the thread I created on the first page of this sub-forum, near the bottom.

22. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

23. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are right about 9.5mm drives from various vendors but what about the 500GB drives, one or two platters? They do make 500GB platters. The original argument was that apple was cutting edge with everything and my claim is that they make necessary sacrifices to appease the masses.

What problems have you heard about Sandforce controllers. I'd expect an expensive SSD to deliver sustained 550MBps transfer speeds. Not hovering around 200MBps. Call this a pro need, to video, audio, photo.

The point is everyone has different needs, wishes and expectations. There is bound to be disappointment somewhere. If I'm trying to edit 4K video with thousands of media files, I have certain needs. Someone who wants a mac to play the latest video game on and have it turn on and launch apps quickly has different set of criteria. All we can do is do our research and make rational estimates on what will come out.

----------

If heat is an issue with the 6900M why doesn't apple just make the Macbook pro thicker and heavier so we can have cutting edge hardware, oh wait I forgot they compromise top of the line performance for beautiful esthetics.

You were the one gripping on that apple is so cutting edge and you don't seem to mind that they put in slower than top shelf SSDs in their systems. Isn't fun arguing over some phrasing. Why don't you tell me the specs for the entire new lineup of Macbook Pro since you know it all, smart ass.

24. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you expecting another flood in Thiland next April/May?

----------

lol same comment i made, i guess even though prices have already come down from the price spike this year due to the flood, OP think prices will still be effected by that flood in 5 months

25. Wattser93 macrumors regular

This is what I want.

Obviously if it has a second HDD bay that'll fit a 9mm drive, it'll support a 1TB drive, but I'd like a 5400RPM 1TB drive as an option from Apple.