Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Yikes, Broncos mortgaging the future to try to win it all this year. Ware for 3/30 isn't a bad pickup, but Talib & his glass hip for 6/57.. eek. :eek:

Hope it works out because they are going to be screwed come next year. Better hope none of those key guys get injured either.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Had they waited a day, they might have ended up with Revis....

That said, because Jets fans aren't miserable enough, I'm sure he'll end up on the Patriots. :(

Yeah, have fun with hoping he stays healthy in the playoffs...did not work out for us. But he's a stud when healthy.

And sorry, Moyank...but suck it, Denver. :D

Darrelle Revis agrees with Patriots

Curious that it's a 1-year deal though. Wish it were for 2 or 3. But they can always franchise him.

----------

Yikes, Broncos mortgaging the future to try to win it all this year. Ware for 3/30 isn't a bad pickup, but Talib & his glass hip for 6/57.. eek. :eek:

Hope it works out because they are going to be screwed come next year. Better hope none of those key guys get injured either.

That Talib deal is nutty town. I think Ware at $10 mil per was high, too, but it's not my money. Denver's problem has been depth, not starters.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Yeah, have fun with hoping he stays healthy in the playoffs...did not work out for us. But he's a stud when healthy.

And sorry, Moyank...but suck it, Denver. :D

Darrelle Revis agrees with Patriots

Curious that it's a 1-year deal though. Wish it were for 2 or 3. But they can always franchise him.

LOVE this move. Love the one year deal too.. Revis is gonna be motivated big time.. expect him to work his ass off to earn a new long term deal. I'll take the guy on a contract year over the guy in the first year of a kushy 6 year deal 100 times out of 100. Pats still need more secondary help and big time help on the defensive and offensive lines though.

As far as I'm concerned, if they can load up on defense, and hopefully keep the strong running game, they'll be good to go. Passing offense should be a secondary concern.. defense and ball control is what wins championships in this league.

That Talib deal is nutty town. I think Ware at $10 mil per was high, too, but it's not my money. Denver's problem has been depth, not starters.

No doubt, and paying out huge contracts to all these starters doesn't help build the back end of the roster. Last years Pats are as good a proof as any as to how important depth is in this league now.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
LOVE this move. Love the one year deal too.. Revis is gonna be motivated big time.. expect him to work his ass off to earn a new long term deal.

I was going to call you a homer but in reality, you sound more like a Jets fan. :D

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
And so it will be Eric Decker against Revis twice this year

Revis will win that battle easily :(

But the other 14 weeks Decker is a huge upgrade over what we had the past 2 seasons at WR. Should be able to help Geno out who throws a nice accurate deep ball, when he has someone to actually throw to.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I'm disappointed that the Broncos didn't resign Decker.

If any team in the NFL could afford to lose a receiver it was the Broncos, you lost him but look at how much better your defense is now with Talib and Ware. I think it was a great exchange for you guys and your team will be so much more balanced now.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If any team in the NFL could afford to lose a receiver it was the Broncos, you lost him but look at how much better your defense is now with Talib and Ware. I think it was a great exchange for you guys and your team will be so much more balanced now.

I agree that Ware and Talib are excellent signings for the Broncos. I just liked the fact that we had 2 big receivers on the outside to go to.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Man this makes me mad!! :mad:

Damn you Jerry......... Damn you!

Because when you have one of the worst defenses in football the obvious solution is to cut your best defensive player after the season

The Cowboys owner really needs to fire the Cowboys GM ASAP :D

----------

I agree that Ware and Talib are excellent signings for the Broncos. I just liked the fact that we had 2 big receivers on the outside to go to.

wouldn't we all lol. unfortunately this isn't baseball and there is a cap to adhere to so teams can't have it all.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Rent an island?

As it turns out, Darrelle Revis’s contract with the Patriots isn’t actually a one-year, $12 million deal. It’s actually a two-year, $32 million deal. But the second year will probably be voided.

Revis gets a $10 million signing bonus, a $1.5 million base salary and $33,333.33 for the first 15 games he’s active for in 2014. So assuming he plays at least 15 games, Revis gets $12 million.

Then the Patriots have the option to pick up the second year of Revis’s contract and pay him a $12 million roster bonus on April 1, 2015, plus a $7.5 million base salary and the same $33,333.33 for the first 15 games he’s active for in 2015. That would total $20 million for the 2015 season.

So Revis will almost certainly hit free agency again next year, and because there’s a second year on the deal the Patriots can’t use the franchise tag on Revis. They have to either pay him the $20 million a year from now or cut him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...his-year-20-million-or-free-agency-next-year/

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Exactly. Dallas has the new Al Davis of football.

Bin2OQsIgAANkRJ.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I actually think Dallas has it worse.............. Damn it.
I didn't get the move, sure they cleared up some cap space but their defense was not all that great last year and they made it that much worse. So now they'll have to go out spend money to shore up what's already a weak defense, thus eating up their cap

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I didn't get the move, sure they cleared up some cap space but their defense was not all that great last year and they made it that much worse. So now they'll have to go out spend money to shore up what's already a weak defense, thus eating up their cap

To be fair, wasn't the cap hit something like $16 million? The defense stunk with him anyway, so it's not a super stupid move to try and take that money and fill 3 or 4 holes instead of 1.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Whoa.

As big a deal as the Patriots made last night, they might be on the verge of having a bigger hole.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Wilfork has asked the team for his release, after 10 seasons.

The team approached him once about restructuring his contract, but that didn’t go far. He’s scheduled to make a base salary of $7.5 million this year, and count $11.6 million against the salary cap.

That is a number they don’t want to pay for a 31-year-old coming off an Achilles injury.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
To be fair, wasn't the cap hit something like $16 million? The defense stunk with him anyway, so it's not a super stupid move to try and take that money and fill 3 or 4 holes instead of 1.

Was going to say this. It's always tough to trade a guy like that, but when you have so many holes, it makes some sense.

----------

Actually knew about this but was sworn to secrecy. :eek:

Vince is one of my absolute favorite players. I'll be sad to see him go. He did everything right, put the team's needs ahead of his own stats, and never complained. Putting on my Belichick hoodie for a minute, he did not look the same in the first games of 2013, then suffered a major injury. $12m this season was simply not going to happen.

I wish he had elected to restructure, but I completely understand not wanting to. I wonder what he'll get on the open market, given his injury, age, weight, etc.

Either way, I'll miss him. I don't think he got enough credit for what he did for those Patriot defenses in the last 10 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.