Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
thejudge13 commented that perhaps Qatar will pay Bahrain to give up their race in exchange for one held in Doha as the Bahrain GP has evidently proven to be not very successful as a tourism generator.

Last thing I read before I left (I'm actually posting from a Qatar Air A380 over Iran, left Doha just a few hours ago) was that the regional exclusivity deal that both Bahrain and Abu Dhabi had with F1 will dealt with by... money. Lots of money, in the form of Qatari Rials. Now, that brings up the question of how you have 3 races that are damn close to one another. Surely two will be bundled up together, but not all three.

Thats a tricky one. The Middle East is a large and distinct part of the globe, but many don't want F1, ala the protests, but they also love the prestige. Tricky, and more so, if F1 flips between these countries.

I don't think it's as big of a deal that you may expect. There are quite a few misconceptions about the region that evaporate once you're actually in the region and seeing how things work first-hand.

Qatar simply has the money and the will to get events that they want, whether it be tennis events, motorboat racing, and so on. There's some notion that a large soccer event may be headed Qatar's way as well.

2016 would have to be a street circuit. Even though Qatar can do amazing things, that would be over the top to get a track done that quickly.

spotted cow beer is delicious!

Yes, yes it is, I am going to cross the border to Wisconsin to get some this weekend. I should have thought ahead and left some in the fridge to await my thirsty return, but I had too many other things to take care of before leaving.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

Yes, yes it is, I am going to cross the border to Wisconsin to get some this weekend. I should have thought ahead and left some in the fridge to await my thirsty return, but I had too many other things to take care of before leaving.

A friend from work gave me a 12 pack for Christmas this year. I'm also hooked on Anchor Steam products.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Now, that brings up the question of how you have 3 races that are damn close to one another. Surely two will be bundled up together, but not all three.

Yes, Qatar will most likely have to run the week before or after Bahrain or the week before Abu Dhabi (assuming Bahrain remains on the calendar).

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Yes, Qatar will most likely have to run the week before or after Bahrain or the week before Abu Dhabi (assuming Bahrain remains on the calendar).

For the record, while the local Doha press was saying Bahrain would be staying, I personally suspect there could be some machinations behind the scenes. I mean, it's F1/Bernie and the region has some history as well.

These tracks would all be very close to one another. If/when the Bahrain-Qatar bridge is built, it would take about 90 minutes to drive Doha-Bahrain, less if you ignore the speed cameras. To fly from Doha to Abu Dhabi is maybe 20 minutes in the air (the border crossings in and out of Saudi tend to be avoided to a certain extent).

I'm not sure I can express how much money is being spent in this region. Perhaps as an example I can offer this: a new airport is being proposed for Dubai, $30b+. It's not to expand the existing, nearly brand new airport, no, it's for another brand new airport, one that simply isn't needed. Bottom line, the money is being spent, huge projects are underway in hundreds of locations.

----------

A friend from work gave me a 12 pack for Christmas this year. I'm also hooked on Anchor Steam products.

Not to turn this into a Spotted Cow thread, but they do seem content to keep their products available in Wisconsin only. IIRC, they may not pasteurize the beer and like Coors in the old days, that may cause issues with the other states.

Quite often, Spotted Cow will outsell Miller Lite in the state, overall it's probably the #1 beer in the state, for Wisconsin, that's saying something.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

----------

[/COLOR]

Not to turn this into a Spotted Cow thread, but they do seem content to keep their products available in Wisconsin only. IIRC, they may not pasteurize the beer and like Coors in the old days, that may cause issues with the other states.

Quite often, Spotted Cow will outsell Miller Lite in the state, overall it's probably the #1 beer in the state, for Wisconsin, that's saying something.

he he he. yeah, my bad. BUT if i've a choice between talking about beer or a race in the middle east... :rolleyes:

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It looks like Bahrain will veto a Grand Prix of Qatar, so the Middle East will remain with two races (Bahrain and Abu Dhabi).

Manor Racing (nee Marussia) is now out of receivership, but they need to find a new base of operations (as Haas F1 has purchased their original facility for their European annex).

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
It looks like Bahrain will veto a Grand Prix of Qatar, so the Middle East will remain with two races (Bahrain and Abu Dhabi).

I reckon (but could be wrong) that what we're seeing is still negotiation.

e.g., Qatar isn't offering enough yet.

Qatar seems to really really want things like this, they won't stop until they're really out of it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Alonso had a bad crash in practice today, and had to be airlifted to hospital. Hopefully he will be okay.
Other than, looks like a few of the teams have narrowed the gap to Mercades so hopefully lots of close racing during 2015.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Alonso had a bad crash in practice today, and had to be airlifted to hospital. Hopefully he will be okay.
Other than, looks like a few of the teams have narrowed the gap to Mercades so hopefully lots of close racing during 2015.

Looks more like Mercedes are concentrating on high file runs at the moment ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So three days to go! Will it be Nico vs Lewis or will another team be able to mix it up with the Mercs this season?

Vettel vs Kimi? What do we think? My money is on Kimi as I think he is the bestir driver but lets see.

Will Honda be able to deliver the power, and if they do is McLaren's chase be up to it as it couldn't deliver last year. Will we even see Alonso behind the wheel again depending on what you read online? I certainly hope so.

Will Williams continue to make progress? Early signs have been good, so lets hope so.

What about RBR? 12 months ago it was incomprehensible to imagine Vettel not there. But as last year proved, he was second fiddle to Riccardo. Will he continue to be the best of the rest?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
It looks like NBCSN (I always type that MSNBC!) will have FP1, FP2 and FP3, at least for Australia. That's nice, that's been a gap in the coverage for them.

F1 and FP2 will be live on the internet via their streaming service, with a replay shown on TV quickly following.

Over the winter, I watched some Sky and BBC coverage, there's a lot of homerism on Sky. NBCSN's coverage is in the same ballpark as the others. Yes, it leans towards the newer fan, but it should in the USA. Yes, it has ads, but it's on "free" tv, that's a reality. Quit your whinging.

Buxton was on reddit/r/Formula1 the other day defending their coverage; he did mention that if you want details, practice and quali are the sessions to watch, the race is tuned a bit more to the newcomer.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
So three days to go! Will it be Nico vs Lewis or will another team be able to mix it up with the Mercs this season?

Lewis as he gets preferential treatment

Vettel vs Kimi? What do we think? My money is on Kimi as I think he is the bestir driver but lets see.

I like Kimi, Vettel lost the edge, like Kimi has as well, they get on well, it will raise both games

Will Honda be able to deliver the power, and if they do is McLaren's chase be up to it as it couldn't deliver last year. Will we even see Alonso behind the wheel again depending on what you read online? I certainly hope so.

Hope they do well, and Fernando, best driver on the grid

Will Williams continue to make progress? Early signs have been good, so lets hope so.

Yep!

What about RBR? 12 months ago it was incomprehensible to imagine Vettel not there. But as last year proved, he was second fiddle to Riccardo. Will he continue to be the best of the rest?

I think so, best of the rest last year, and beat all the other Mercs. best Chassis and mechanical and aero grip on the grid

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think so, best of the rest last year, and beat all the other Mercs. best Chassis and mechanical and aero grip on the grid

How exactly did Lewis get preferential treatment? He had the most DNF's of the two. If he hadn't and Nico hadn't packed in final Monaco Qualifying, Lewis would have had the Championship done three races before the end.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
How exactly did Lewis get preferential treatment? He had the most DNF's of the two. If he hadn't and Nico hadn't packed in final Monaco Qualifying, Lewis would have had the Championship done three races before the end.

You serious? He gets the run of the green, he is favoured, just as Vettel was over Webber. Classic F1

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You serious? He gets the run of the green, he is favoured, just as Vettel was over Webber. Classic F1

I don't remember Nico's car on fire, but yeah sure whatever you say!

As for Vettel over Webber, I liked Webber a lot, but he never got as much out of that package as Vettel did. Riccardo on the other hand took the (red) bull by the horns and took the initiative in the team.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I don't remember Nico's car on fire, but yeah sure whatever you say!

If you watched every pitstop, no matter who pitted first, Rosberg ended up on a bad strategy, sticks out like dogs balls.

As for Vettel over Webber, I liked Webber a lot, but he never got as much out of that package as Vettel did.

Fully agree. Towards the end, Mark lost it, he was beaten man, cant race hard when they team favour the other

Riccardo on the other hand took the (red) bull by the horns and took the initiative in the team.

My god yes. I rate Alonso the best driver on the grid. Ricciardo races him wheel to wheel, as Webber also did, this kid is the real deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.