Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It could have been better. But fair play to Mercades. They have again put together the package to beat.
Sorry to see Button and McLaren bringing up the rear. They both deserve better.
Thought all the rookies handled themselves well.
Hopefully Ferrari and Williams can make some progress before the next outing. As a Lewis fan, I want to see him do well, but I'd really like it to be a close championship. Nico looked quite down beat all weekend. I hope he's not going to go the way of other number two drivers.

Yeah I don't know what to make of McLaren. There's no doubt in my mind Honda can make a power plant, but they clearly have had a number of problems along the way.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Yeah I don't know what to make of McLaren. There's no doubt in my mind Honda can make a power plant, but they clearly have had a number of problems along the way.

who knows what will happen.

the good news is they are with a team that can make a good car. last time they came back i felt like it was destined to fail. even with the one win they had.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Here we go again then. Great to see Alonso and Bottas back. Both arguably the better drivers in their respective teams.
Lewis had issues in practice, but despite hardly running was able to put in the best time.
Just hope we have a better race than last time out. 11 finishers and a few places decided by the wheel changing guys.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
so alonso leaves ferrari just as they turn the corner...?

He certainly hasn't traded up has he. I hope Ferrari can mix it up with the Mercs tomorrow but I won't hold my breath. Lewis looked in charge all through qualifying. Even the rain and traffic couldn't stop him.
I just hope Honda can start to make progress quickly. It's not right to see the McLarens with their two world champions mixing it up at the back.

Hopefully a bit of rain tomorrow might spice things up.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
so alonso leaves ferrari just as they turn the corner...?

Was thinking the same thing. The grass isn't always greener you know. I think he felt that he had given them a couple of years to get things right and it was just time to move on. I'll follow Alonso wherever he goes and I've always rooted for Ferrari. I'll still root for Ferrari....Kimi that is. Show times here in the "colonies" is way to early in the am or Sunday at 1530. I'll have to stay off the net til then. Go Alonso! Lets have some racing tomorrow fellas.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
[/COLOR]
Maybe it was Alonso who was holding the team back? With Vettel in the car, they are suddenly able to win a race...

I'm not sure Alonso was building the car! This years model is much better than last years. Even straight line speed is significantly better.
That said I think both drivers did well. I'd have been interested to see how Kimi would have got on without the traffic yesterday in Q2 and the puncher today. He came from last to fourth. I'm pretty sure had he qualified in the top 5 he would have challenged Vettel, and certainly a Ferrari double podium could have been on.
As for Mercades, they need to look at their strategy. They didn't help themselves. That said, on a cooler race where tyres will last better, I think it will be easier for them. If Lewis had a new set of softs at the end (like Nico) I'm sure he'd have chased down Vettel, but of course passing him would have been another matter.
The good news is this year looks like we might have more than one team competing the championship. That's good for the fans and the sport.

Last edited:

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
most exciting race in quite a while.

not only for the tension of fight for the win (at least until the last few laps), but lots of overtaking, great fights all over the track, wheel-to-wheel racing, contacts, drama.
great show. :D

it looks like we have a championship fight on our screens.

IMO mercedes still has the best car in general, but not on all tracks.
ferrari seems to be way superior in tire management, which can and will make a difference often, now that mercedes car advantage is down to a few tenths.

i agree with above that if not so unlucky , kimi would have challenged for podium and even the race. he had a great drive.
so did vettel, hamilton and rosberg, in truth.
I am guessing kimi is not too fond of sauber: besides the bad luck from the rain timing in Q2, he still would have been in Q3, if a sauber diden't slow him down to force him to 11th in that one lap, then he is hit by a sauber in lap 1, and an sauber slowed his come back to catch up the group during the safety car period -based on his interview-. And wasn't he clipped by a sauber in australia as well?

i disagree hamilton's last tyre choice was a mistake. if he mounted the softer tire, he would have possibly caught vettel, but i don't think he could make it to the end, and he would have lost second to rosberg as well on the next pit.

feel sorry for alonso and button.
they deserve better than that.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
A crack at Mercedes? Radio traffic between Hamilton and crew sounded a bit desperate. Could be interesting. Good to see Ferrari win, just wish it could have been Alonso or Kimi.

AleXXXa

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2015
IMO mercedes still has the best car in general, but not on all tracks.
The Mercedes car is much better, even in today's race it was the best in terms of pure speed/fastest lap (Vettel slower than Rosberg by 1.6sec and slower than Ham by 0.5s).
Yeah, ferrari has better tyre wear, but only on hot tracks from what i see and there aren't that many (Sepang is one and Bahrain is another). On cold tracks Ferrari seemed to struggle last year, meanwhile Mercedes had no problem.

Let's wait till China (a pretty cold track and very hard on tyres), but i'm afraid Mercedes will sit comfortably ahead of everyone there.
Hope i'm wrong, though, as i am a Ferrari fan and would like some competition. :D

----------

A crack at Mercedes? Radio traffic between Hamilton and crew sounded a bit desperate. Could be interesting. Good to see Ferrari win, just wish it could have been Alonso or Kimi.

Yeap, i wish Alonso didn't leave Ferrari.
BTW, after ~10 years, we finally heard the Formula 1 theme song again lol. (Germany-Italy anthem). Really missed it! :D

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
It isn't just tire degradation Mercedes made gross errors of strategy. I wouldn't expect that to be a regular occurrence.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Outright pace is close. Hamilton is hard on tyres, Ferrari may have a tyre edge, that brings them together. If they can make tyres last better, then they can play with strategy more. The key is are they better with tyres on cooler tracks, no evidence yet to say either way. Forget Melbourne, thats not a race track, what happens there does not reflect on any other track

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Looks like Hamilton is to extend his stay at Mercades. £27000000 a year. Nice work if you can get it!

I'm sure Alonso and Nico are really pleased :D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So it's going to be out and out pace verses Tyre management tomorrow. Hopefully we get s good close race. Glad to see McLaren making a little progress. Hopefully they can get out of Q1 soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.