2016 MacBook Pro keyboard issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Craiger, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I have a 2016 15in MacBook Pro. I just got it today. At first my u key seem to be missing clicks. Now it appears to be typing double sometimes. anyone else had this issue?

sometimes macOS auto corrects and removes the doubles, but not all the time.

Guess I will be returning the first Mac I've bought in 5 years for an exchange.

2. monstermac77 macrumors regular

monstermac77

3. BunnyMan macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with my 2016 13in and had to return it. Apple gave me a brand new one but the issue came back when setting up the new one. It's really annoying me.

4. p3ter185 macrumors newbie

I'm already on my second machine. 2016 15inch TB. The first one kept crashing due to faulty SDD (speculated). On the new one I've noticed my touch ID sensor is slightly "loose" compared to my first machine and I'm noticing the down arrow on the keyboard is not as responsive. It seems to miss 1 out of every 5-6 presses. Which is super annoying when trying to navigate code...

Not sure what the play is. I guess third time might be a charm. Really disappointed with Apple on this one.

5. parajba macrumors 6502

Right. I purchased a base model non-TouchBar MBP 13" a few days ago, and whilst I am very happy about the laptop itself, the keyboard is a big let down.

My up and down arrows don't make the usual 'click' sound and they miss the clicks too often (1 every 3 times!). I click but it doesn't register the click unless I press very hard in an unnatural way. So it's faulty and it goes back.

Also, I noticed that the keyboard is VERY loud. As in I am in the lounge and my wife is in bed and she complains about the noise. And some keys are louder then others, which means Apple still hasn't worked out how to put together a consistent keyboard.

I shall wait 12 months and get the new version. Sorry Apple, but for £1,445 I am expecting an impeccable keyboard.

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Then why not exchange it? My keyboard doesn't have those issues. Well, except for being loud if you're a hard typist.

7. parajba, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017

parajba macrumors 6502

Because after having tried this new keyboard I think it's an unfinished product and that they will iron out these issue in rev2. Too many issues with this keyboard in my opinion, with noise being one of them.

I have a Lenovo X61 for work, nothing special, just a boring machine really, but when I swap and use it it is such a relief compared to my new MBP.

Things were the other way around when I was going from my 'old' MBP to the Lenovo.

This new keyboard and me - not friends. It's like typing on a (loud) piece of paper.

[edit] Also because I own an iPad Pro 9.7 which is (surprisingly) much faster at: general surfing, YouTube, Facebook, music streaming, social media.
    I don't use any particular software, all I do on this machine is surfing, music and pictures, and for those things I am afraid the iPad wins hands down. Also the iPad's screen and speakers are much nicer, which is disappointing really as my iPad cost around £600.

If the keyboard weren't faulty I would have kept the MBP but in hindsight I should have not bought it and I am glad it is faulty indeed as I can ask for a replacement or refund, my choice. For my use case an iPad is a much better tool.

I generally finds that Apps are nicer in these days than their internet equivalent. BBC News, Facebook, Twitter, etc just to name a few. Gone are the days of crappy limited awkward apps. There is also less advertising.

8. fikonhjul macrumors member

fikonhjul

Lots of returns on these new machines, no? As you have to dig in deep in lots of threads here and over at Apple's Discussions before you find replacement after replacement, I started a simple poll to get some overview. Please have a click!

9. JayDeeCee macrumors newbie

Registered to briefly share my experience. About a week ago my "D" key started double typing every few keystrokes. Took it to the genius bar yesterday, and within a few minutes they offered a replacement. Apple is clearly aware of this issue, and they told me they do not have a method of repair at this time so they are just replacing. Mine was a custom build so I have to wait two weeks, but was able to hold on to my current MbP while waiting. Customer service was excellent but can't say I'm not concerned that this problem will recur with my replacement model.

10. jerryk macrumors 68040

I have the ipad pro 9.7 and agree. A very nice tablet. The True Tone screen is great and easy on the eyes hour after hour. And with the Pencil, it's perfect for taking notes, where a picture is often worth 1000 words. The unit is very fast.

I picked up my 128 GB Space Grey unit for $425 on Black Friday.

Now when I travel I usually leave my Macbook Pro in my luggage and just use the iPad for everything while on planes, train, or in the car.

11. Frit macrumors newbie

so, my B,G,left arrow, right arrow do double click + B and left arrow fell down
    I've visited authorised service, they said that keyboard should be replaced BUT there are no keyboards for order yet -_-. So I wait for call.
    Good job Apple. This most awful keyboard ever.

12. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Yeah, broken keyboards are awful.

13. sohilpandya macrumors member

sohilpandya

My shift key kept on missing sometimes, this was my second replacement. Now onto the 3rd one in less than a week! hmmmmmm.

14. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

The keyboards are brand new with minimal clearance. They take a few days use to 'settle' into positions.

Anyone having missing keystrokes etc, try using the device for a few days before raising alarm bells. This has worked for most people and should save you some stress/effort.

As to high pitched keys, I don't understand how a mechanical button can produce a high pitched sound. Unless there's a miniature mouse under the trackpad you're poking?

15. Frit macrumors newbie

3 weeks, is it enough?

16. mataklap macrumors newbie

I got my first machine 2 weeks ago; am now on my 4th:
    1. Vertical purple line through the screen, pixels broke
    2. 'y' key double entries after about a week
    3. space bar stuck on left and right ends, would only work on the middle
    4. since today a new MacBook Pro again.... hope it lasts.

Pretty terrible this. Have had great experience the past 15 years now THREE broken 3,000 euro laptops in 2 weeks....

17. greyhouse, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017

greyhouse macrumors member

Didn't work for me. Gave it weeks and it still does it.

I posted videos on another thread if anyone wants to hear what it sounds like: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-clicking-sound.2022399/page-15#post-24263831

18. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

That seems unrelated to the sticky keys problem, so waiting weeks will not fix that...

Anyway, my guess is the plastic on they key is too thin. I would ring them up and take it into a store to replace the key. You could go through a whole replacement procedure but as it's just the key, I'd hope they can just fix that in store for you in 5 minutes. Worth a shot.

19. frenchtony macrumors member

I thought I would share my problem as well, as I'm either very unlucky or there is a serious engineering issue on the MacBook Pro 2016 keyboard.

So here it is.

I ordered mine back in late November, and received it in time for the Christmas holidays.
    I live in the UK, but ordered a French (AZERTY) keyboard.

After a few days (weeks?), the left-hand side Command key stopped working.
    To be exact, it worked but only if you pressed it VERY hard. So almost unusable.
    Thankfully, I still had the right-hand side Command key to work with.
    Also, a few days before swapping it for a working one, the Tab key started double typing.

I then went to the Apple Store, and asked for a repair, back in early January 2017.
    They offered a replacement, and even offered that I keep the current one until the replacement arrive in store for a simple swap. Nice !

I waited about one month (!!) because it took ages on their side to get the replacement approved.

Then, after a few calls to the Apple Store, one week ago, I got confirmation that my new machine arrived.

Went to pick it up, went back home, only to realise they gave me a machine with the wrong keyboard (UK keyboard this time).

I called them, and (after some discussion) agreed to do another swap for the model I actually bought in the first place (at first they wanted to keep the UK one and give me my broken FR one until they get the new FR one... I was pretty tired of reformatting and reinstalling and going to the Apple Store by that point so I persuaded them to order the new one and make a swap as we did the first time around).

So, as of today, I'm now working with the UK replacement, and... the "C" key is starting to fail.
    It's not as bad as the Cmd key on the original one, but you still need to press it more otherwise you mistype. I'm a software developer, and frankly I don't want to spend my day correcting my sentences/code because the Cs are missing half the time. On a £ 3000 machine.

They called me back yesterday to discuss options again, and I have now asked for a refund. They are discussing it and they were supposed to call me back today to confirm. Still waiting.

I've also ordered a Dell XPS 15, as I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to be productive on this wonderfully expensive piece of crap that is the MacBook Pro 2016.

(Disclaimer; I'm a long time fan of Apple, I own pretty much their entire family of product, and I'm very, very, very disappointed).

TL; DR: On two MBP 2016 15", 3 keys were not functioning correctly. That's a lot.
    So I'm either unlucky, or Apple's got a problem.

20. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Or some of each. Let us know how you like the XPS.

21. IRockDom macrumors newbie

IRockDom

I got a 13" MacBook Pro and there is a double typing problem with the "s" key and the "." key right at the moment I open the box. Thought that Apple will replace a new one for me but very disappointing it asked me to get its repair service. I need to go forth and back several times to get this resolve. Very annoying and disappointing level of service standard of Apple. Do you guys have similar experience?

22. kjvmartin macrumors regular

My base 2016 MBP keyboard failed - the CONTROL key. They cannot replace just 1 key. They have to replace the entire lower half of the computer almost. This takes 5-7 days and involves them shipping the unit out. Hopefully mine keeps failing to the point they give me a brand new one, in box, which I can sell and be done with this disaster of a computer.

If it was just the 1 key, I'd call me over-dramatic..... The battery life is also so much worse than my old 2013 which has already been worn in. They swear it's normal, but it ought not be so. I do not notice the "wider color gamut" and I find the boot time and overall processing speed is not very good on the base model. I wanted (and was patiently waiting for the upgrade cycle) to get a 15" with discrete graphics, but I loathe the touch bar.

23. zzzachi macrumors member

having a keyboard failure after cleaning the keyboard. and no, i didnt overspill it, i was extra carful not to do that. anyway one key doesnt work at all anymore. and after trying to clean possible "debris" under the keys with pressured air, another key doesnt work properly anymore needing multiple strokes now.

this is unacceptable... it is in fact impossible to clean the new mbp keyboards.
    the slightest amount of humidity seems to be able to kill a key.
    permanently... the cleaning was 4 days ago.

made an appointment at the genious bar to get a replacement or repair.

this issue will get quite expensive for apple....
    and yes, thinking about an XPS, too.
    apple is going down the drain!

24. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Good idea. The XPS has no defects! Just read their forums full of nothing but light and happiness.