2016 Macbook Pro Screen Protector.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jacksterg51, Nov 18, 2016.

1. jacksterg51 macrumors member

jacksterg51

Hi everyone, I just bought myself a brand new 2016 MacBook Pro 13 inch with touch-bar. Its a big investment that I plan on keeping for awhile, should I get a screen protector for my new one? Has anyone ever gotten a glass screen protector for a mac or should I get plastic, I just want my mac to last with many scratches on it like I see everyone else.

2. monkeydax macrumors 6502

I'm a die-hard user of screen protectors for my all my iPhones, but I have never used a screen protector on my mac. The mac's screen is much less susceptible to getting scratched, and adding any form of protection (glass/plastic) is going to destroy the technology put into making those displays look superb with their anti-glare coatings. My strong recommendation - don't put a screen protector on your mac!! It won't get scratched unless you leave dirt lying around your keyboard/palmrest/trackpad when you close it.

3. jacksterg51 thread starter macrumors member

jacksterg51

Do you recommend one of these? https://www.radtech.com/products/screensavrz-macbook-pro-keyboard-cover

4. monkeydax macrumors 6502

Hmm never used one but definitely considered it before. I use a keyboard protector (Moshi ClearGuard), but remove it every time I close the lid so it doesn't leave imprints on the screen. With the new MBPs being even thinner, I'm not sure how much clearance there is to put in a thin cloth like the one you showed up there.

5. fs454 macrumors 68000

6. manwithamission macrumors newbie

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would just add some thoughts. First of all I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 15" with Touch Bar. The clearance between the screen and the surface of the keys and palm rests is maintained by a metal rim around the screen. Apple have clearly worked out what is needed to compensate for any minimal flex of the whole computer. If you add in anything between it is going to reduce this clearance. I am a web developer and my biggest problem is going to clients and they with pen in hand feel they can just point out stuff on my screen with a metal biro! Even when asked not to they forget. A screen protector would therefore be great for that but bad for (as a previous user commented) the anti reflective coatings you are paying for on this laptop.