2018 iPhone Predictions [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BLUEBLASTER, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

So now we have the iPhone 8 and 10 out of the way. What do people think the 2018 will consist of? Do you think Apple will make all their phones have the Super OLED screens and bezel less displays? Or just keep it for the premium model?

2. JohnApples macrumors 65816

It's tough to say. I don't know if I can see them releasing 3 iPhone every year.

Since there's a "plus sized OLED model" rumored for next year, they could just finback to 2 models but have them take the X's design.

Not sure what would happen to price though.

3. pika2000 macrumors 601

Apple said the iPhone X is what they think iPhones will be for the next 10 years. I remember Steve Jobs said something similar about laptops when he announced the Macbook Air. I think we are going to have a transition (ie the disappearance of the home button). Maybe it's the reason Apple extended their lineup into 5 models (SE, 6S, 7, 8, and X) to give room for the transition (every new flagship will have Face ID, while TouchID will slowly disappear as older iPhones get discontinued).

What makes me wonder is, what they will call 2018 iPhones? The iPhone X is already called iPhone "10." Will they skip 9? Or will we see an 8S?

My guess for the lineup next year:
    New SE getting an A10, 7, 8, "9" (which is the X with A12) with a plus model (with the rumored 6 something inch screen). 6S and current X are dropped.

4. Will0827 macrumors regular

Will0827

2018 (IMO)
    1. Iphone X (Two models)
    2. Iphone 8/8+
    3. Iphone 7
    4. Iphone SE

X is clearly the flagship and new direction for the iphone and it currently sits between the regular and plus models physically. A smaller variant could be the same dimensions or smaller than the non plus model and apple can go back to two main offerings and the 8 can serve as an entry option for some time.

5. cube macrumors P6

Forum Spy showed: "iPhone SE X is clearly the flagship".

6. fathergll macrumors 65816

I think the next 2 years will be a transition phase to get their Phones on OLED.

I fully expect to see Apple hit the small phone market with an updated 4" iPhone at some point

7. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

That's the only way I see this going. In years past they would also be ditching the iPhone 7, but now they want to keep the 2 year iPhone around to have another cheaper option, aside from the SE.

The only two questions I have are 1) What are they going to do with the prices for the X models. Are they just going to keep the iPhone X series at $999 forever? If so, sounds insane to me, considering the iPhone 8 (old design) will be phased out in a year or two. 2) Will they keep the iPhone 8 design around for a few more years, and just keep up incremental updates.

My guess is It'll be 1), however if that's the case then that means the iPhone X will need to get a huge price cut of over $150, because it'll need to be in line with the $700-800 price point, and that means people buying this year's iPhone X are getting boned.

8. xxray macrumors 6502a

I can't see the 2018 iPhone X (iPhone 11?) being dropped to the price of an iPhone 8 ($699), but I also can't see an iPhone 9 and 9+ with the same body of the 6-8 model series either. Also, an iPhone X+ (11+?) is rumored for next year, which I'm hoping for, but what would it cost? $1100? $1200?

What are your predictions?

9. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

I predict hundreds/thousands of aimless posts by opinionated people who have zip knowledge about it but have random opinions that make little sense.

10. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I believe they will keep using iPhone 8 design for the cheaper version.

New iPhone X, same design, new A13 CPU

11. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

On a site dedicated to rumors? Who would have thought?!

12. ssrij, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

ssrij Suspended

Depends, the X is basically 8 Plus in smaller body + better camera + OLED + bezel less + Face ID + stainless steel sides. If Apple launches 3 iPhones next year, then next year's X will have to maintain the same difference in functionality/features like this year. As per reports by Ming-Chi Kuo, next year's iPhones will have OLED display and Face ID, so there goes two major selling points of the X.

The X will need to have many major differentiating features to maintain its status as a $999 phone. Maybe ProMotion, Apple Pencil support, microLED display, all front facing sensors under display to have truly bezel less phone, etc.

Apple can also just skip the 8S, and simply launch two iPhones - iPhone X and iPhone X Plus, so:

* 64GB iPhone XS - $699
    * 256GB iPhone XS - $799
    * 512GB iPhone XS - $899
    * 64GB iPhone XS+ - $969
    * 256GB iPhone XS+ - $1069
    * 512GB iPhone XS+ - $1169

13. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

14. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

It’d be interesting if they decided to go buttonless on all models (would tie in with Kuo’s Face ID only rumour) - but the LCD models that replace the 8/+ just have reduced top/ bottom bezel sizes, not to the same extent as the X, and of course no odd screen shape as still LCD.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Eventually, I think the iPhone will get there where it eliminates push buttons. If you think about it, we only ave the volume up, volume down, mute switch and the power button. I don't think that will happen quite soon, but I do see the phone eventually becoming one seamless chassis without buttons.

16. xxray macrumors 6502a

This is the ideal lineup for me, but I can't see Apple dropping the 2018 iPhone X model $300 and then improving it and adding new features on top of that

17. xeio macrumors regular

xeio

iphone 9 /9+ or whatever they call it with a larger LCD display thats curved, too. no homebutton, only face id! no new iphone x update next year. they will update the X-model every 2 years. thats my prediction

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This is actually what has me most nervous about buying thisbyead’s Model. If T-Mobile doesn’t offer it on jump on demand (I’ve been told they won’t by one rep and “we don’t know yet” by another), I may just skip this thing altogether. If I drop $1000 this year for the resale to be a couple hundred bucks next year....

So many decisions lol. Once day I’m confident I should just pull he trigger and another day I’m talking about keeping the 6s plus one more year.

19. UL2RA Suspended

This is why I just got the 8 and am waiting ‘til next year to get whatever the next the X model is.

20. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

I am over the rubbish Apple dished out this year. The X has the notch, screen width smaller than the Plus which results in an out of whack aspect ratio and then there's the 8/8 Plus, which have had the same form factor for 4 years now. And there is nothing to make me think, okay I can live these because Apple also introduced A, B and C, which is totally cool.

So to all those who think like me, will totally bypass 2017 because of underwhelment and are already looking to 2018, what have you heard about the 2018 iterations?

So far I have heard:

All 2018 phones will do away with touch ID.
    There will be two sizes, including a Plus size (hallaloulia).
    Next year the phones will come with a stylus or will be Apple Pencil compatible.

In circa 2019/20, according to Brian Tong, the screen will be able to bend. Though I extremely doubt this will happen with Apple in the next 10 years, given their history. Since Tim Cook took the reigns, Olympic Games come around more frequently than iphone-wow-factors being introduced by Apple.

What else have you heard? What are you hoping for?

21. serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

ProMotion will do it for me. Face-ID will be turned off and will instead use passcode, only for ProMotion..

22. titrau macrumors 65816

titrau

[​IMG]

A12 chips
    same design
    new color
    wireless improve

same same song every yrs -

23. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

This and a Plus model

24. pcorrado macrumors 6502