Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
2018 iPhone Line

6.5” OLED iPhone | 5.8” OLED iPhone
6.1” LCD iPhone without 3D Touch
iPhone 8/Plus
iPhone 7/Plus
iPhone SE 2

Pricing I guess:

6.5” USD 1200/1250 base

5.8” USD 1000 base. In a very rare shot, USD 900/950 base. If that happens then 6.5” will be USD 1000/1100 base and 6.1” will be USD 700/800 base.

6.1” USD 750/800 base.

Most probable base pricing:

USD 800/1000/1200

Less Probable base pricing:

USD 750/1000/1250

Least Probable base pricing:

USD 700/900/1100 or USD 800/900/1000

iPhone 8/plus will be reduced by USD 100. So will iPhone 7/plus.

iPhone SE 2 will probably be between USD 300-450 base.

For 2018 line up:

If (capacity = 64 GB and 256 GB) then pricing difference should be USD 150. If 512 GB is added then another USD 200/250 beyond 256 GB.

If (capacity = 128 GB and 256 GB) then pricing difference should be USD 100. If 512 GB is added then another USD 150-250 beyond 256 GB.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Overall these rumors about the 6.1“ model sound very plausible as Apple isn‘t gonna leave what is possibly their most popular iPhone price range devoid of new products. However, what I don‘t understand at all is the supposed lack of wireless charging and even more so Force Touch.

Both of these features are an integral part of the iPhone 8/8+ line which the 6.1“ iPhone would replace price-wise, and Force Touch has been around since the iPhone 6s in 2015, it‘s considered a standard iPhone feature at that point and incredibly useful. Similarly the absence of wireless charging would be very strange when it‘s a standard feature on the entire 2017 iPhone lineup; even the much cheaper rumored iPhone SE 2 is supposedly coming with with wireless charging, so why leave it out on their new mid-tier model? It would probably also be a hard hit on the sales of the AirPower mat as it would mean that all those people buying the new phone would have no interest in it. Hell, I‘d imagine everyone who will buy an AirPower mat for his iPhone 8/8+ and then make the jump to the 6.1“ model later this/early next year is going to be sorely disappointed about not being able to use it.

Maybe these details are wrong and we‘re getting these two features, or maybe there are some puzzle pieces of the new phone that we don‘t know yet and that would make the absence of these features more reasonable (like a lower-than-expected price, for example, although I frankly doubt that). But right now the supposed absence of these features just doesn‘t make much sense to me, and I‘d imagine it would be a deal-breaker to many people. I know it would be to me (at least the lack of Force Touch).

The missing piece of the puzzle is: the goalposts have changed. Apple is increasing the price of iPhone and wants higher ASP.

In 2018, Apple is expecting iPhone 8 owners to move to $999 (5.8") and $1,149 (6.5") models. Not stick with $699 and $799 models. Last year was a transition year so consumers would get used to the $999 price tag.

The 6.1" model is not targeted at iPhone 8 owners. The 6.1" model is targeted at iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners, which has been Apple's best selling iPhone model ever. Those owners saw no compelling reason to upgrade to iPhone 7 or 8. And the X was too expensive. If you look at it from that perspective, it makes complete sense to leave out 3D Touch and a glass back.

If the 6.1" model included 3D Touch and a glass back, what's the incentive to pay $999 or $1,149 for the premium models? The only remaining differentiator would be dual camera.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
The missing piece of the puzzle is: the goalposts have changed. Apple is increasing the price of iPhone and wants higher ASP.

In 2018, Apple is expecting iPhone 8 owners to move to $999 (5.8") and $1,149 (6.5") models. Not stick with $699 and $799 models. Last year was a transition year so consumers would get used to the $999 price tag.

The 6.1" model is not targeted at iPhone 8 owners. The 6.1" model is targeted at iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners, which has been Apple's best selling iPhone model ever. Those owners saw no compelling reason to upgrade to iPhone 7 or 8. And the X was too expensive. If you look at it from that perspective, it makes complete sense to leave out 3D Touch and a glass back.

If the 6.1" model included 3D Touch and a glass back, what's the incentive to pay $999 or $1,149 for the premium models? The only remaining differentiator would be dual camera.
There would still be a number of other differentiators besides the camera (OLED screen, much higher resolution, true edge-to-edge which the 6.1“ might not have, stainless steel frame, much higher battery life, and on top of that some of the new features like the rumored 5G compatible Intel chips might be exclusive to the 5.8“ and 6.5“ models). But you raise a good point, admittedly many people don‘t care that much about many of these features and just want the fancy iPhone X design for the lowest price possible.

On the other hand, leaving out core features on what is price-wise still a mid-tier device would make the lineup seem unnecessarily inconsistent and arbitrary, and it frankly doesn‘t seem like a very Apple-like thing to do, just to arbitrarily push people to the more costly devices. In the past, Apple hasn‘t really been afraid to „cannibalize“ their own products in order to provide the best user experience they can for a given price. The simultaneous iPhone X/iPhone 8/8+ release is the most prominent example of this, but there are many more examples of products which collided with each other but where Apple still went out to make them as good as they can, for example BeatsX and AirPods being released so close to each other, or the iMac Pro vs normal iMac, 12“ MacBooks vs the 13“ entry-level MBPs, and so on.

Also, by that reasoning, why wouldn‘t they have started this trend with the 2017 iPhones already? You mentioned it would be a transition year but really, it would have been relatively easy for Apple to justify having wireless charging only in the iPhone X and not in the 8/8+, much more so than putting that feature into all phones in 2017 but leave it out in what is price-wise its successor. If they want to push previous 8/8+ owners towards the X price range it would be much more reasonable to do that right from the get-go, as opposed to having these features in the 2017 800€ phone but take them out in the ≤800€ phone in 2018.

Also I personally don‘t think Apple expects everyone who owned an 8/8+ or older to move upwards into the 1000+€ range. There are still numerous people who don‘t want to put 1000+€ into a new phone, even less so on a 2-3 year basis, and who previously have been very content with what the 700-1000€ iPhones offered. Upgrading from, say, a 6s to the 6.1“ phone for about the same (or an even lower) price only to find out that a core feature like Force Touch has been removed.

Don‘t get me wrong, I see your point and I‘m afraid you might actually be right and that pushing people to the more expensive phones is Apples reasoning. But it still seems like a rather un-Apple thing to do that would make the lineup unnecessarily confusing and inconsistent. Not to mention that would strongly hurt AirPower sales which is already shaping up to be a niche product (at least if the $200 price tag is true). It would be not very Apple-like to introduce a new AirPower mat but then steering away from it just six months after its release already with at least one of their flagship phones.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
On the other hand, leaving out core features on what is price-wise still a mid-tier device would make the lineup seem unnecessarily inconsistent and arbitrary, and it frankly doesn‘t seem like a very Apple-like thing to do, just to arbitrarily push people to the more costly devices. In the past, Apple hasn‘t really been afraid to „cannibalize“ their own products in order to provide the best user experience they can for a given price. The simultaneous iPhone X/iPhone 8/8+ release is the most prominent example of this, but there are many more examples of products which collided with each other but where Apple still went out to make them as good as they can, for example BeatsX and AirPods being released so close to each other, or the iMac Pro vs normal iMac, 12“ MacBooks vs the 13“ entry-level MBPs, and so on.

Also, by that reasoning, why wouldn‘t they have started this trend with the 2017 iPhones already? You mentioned it would be a transition year but really, it would have been relatively easy for Apple to justify having wireless charging only in the iPhone X and not in the 8/8+, much more so than putting that feature into all phones in 2017 but leave it out in what is price-wise its successor. If they want to push previous 8/8+ owners towards the X price range it would be much more reasonable to do that right from the get-go, as opposed to having these features in the 2017 800€ phone but take them out in the ≤800€ phone in 2018.

Also I personally don‘t think Apple expects everyone who owned an 8/8+ or older to move upwards into the 1000+€ range. There are still numerous people who don‘t want to put 1000+€ into a new phone, even less so on a 2-3 year basis, and who previously have been very content with what the 700-1000€ iPhones offered. Upgrading from, say, a 6s to the 6.1“ phone for about the same (or an even lower) price only to find out that a core feature like Force Touch has been removed.

Don‘t get me wrong, I see your point and I‘m afraid you might actually be right and that pushing people to the more expensive phones is Apples reasoning. But it still seems like a rather un-Apple thing to do that would make the lineup unnecessarily confusing and inconsistent. Not to mention that would strongly hurt AirPower sales which is already shaping up to be a niche product (at least if the $200 price tag is true). It would be not very Apple-like to introduce a new AirPower mat but then steering away from it just six months after its release already with at least one of their flagship phones.

Personally, I don’t see 3D Touch nor wireless charging as core technologies.

Siri, Apple Pay, and AR - those are examples of core technologies that hook into the lives of consumers.

With the examples of products you provided, such as iPhone 8 vs. X and MacBook vs. MacBook Pro, I’m not sure they cannibalize each other. There’s a big form factor difference with iPhone X and MacBook Pro uses a much faster family of Intel processors.

JDI didn’t demonstate their 0.5mm bezel IPS LCDs with notches until July-September 2017. Until these were ready for mass production, Apple couldn’t count on iPhone X as the only egg in their basket. The iPhone 8 was necessary stop gap for mainstream consumers. Without wireless charging, it would be tough to sell it against iPhone 7.

If consumers want an iPhone with the new form factor and no compromises, the real starting price is $999.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
Personally, I don’t see 3D Touch nor wireless charging as core technologies.

Siri, Apple Pay, and AR - those are examples of core technologies that hook into the lives of consumers.

With the examples of products you provided, such as iPhone 8 vs. X and MacBook vs. MacBook Pro, I’m not sure they cannibalize each other. There’s a big form factor difference with iPhone X and MacBook Pro uses a much faster family of Intel processors.

JDI didn’t demonstate their 0.5mm bezel IPS LCDs with notches until July-September 2017. Until these were ready for mass production, Apple couldn’t count on iPhone X as the only egg in their basket. The iPhone 8 was necessary stop gap for mainstream consumers. Without wireless charging, it would be tough to sell it against iPhone 7.

If consumers want an iPhone with the new form factor and no compromises, the real starting price is $999.
Alright, I see your point. I do hope you turn out to be wrong and that Apple has better reasons for removing such big and much-loved features (whether we consider them essential or not) while keeping the price the same, but it does sound plausible.

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Great sport to watch from the sidelines. I always look forward to WWDC as well as any press event to learn what’s really in the pipeline.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 6.5-inch iPhone X Plus will have a display with 480 to 500 pixels per inch, possibly making it more pixel dense than the iPhone X. The 6.1-inch LCD version will only have a display with 320 to 330 PPI..

Just naturally curious why You copied and pasted this article directly from CultofMacs article? It’s word for word copied direct from Cult of Mac. Perhaps you forgot to provide the link?

https://www.cultofmac.com/513809/apple-may-launch-6-5-inch-iphone-x-plus-2018/amp/

Apple’s biggest diagonal measurement for a display to date – isn't actually that big. That's because the X is really just a taller version of Apple’s 4.7-inch iPhone 8. The 5.5-inch diameter screen on the Plus iPhone is actually a wider format than the X’s. That often results in a better experience when watching videos.

"The Plus iPhone" screen does give you more real estate, because it has a more traditional and wider 16:9 aspect ratio, compared to 19.5:9 for the iPhone X,"

Apple still does not offer anything that directly competes with Phablets such as: Samsung's larger 6.2-inch Galaxy S8+ or the 6.3-inch Galaxy Note 8. .

And you copied and pasted Most of this article directly from Fox News, Which You seemingly (Or mistakenly) forgot the link on this one as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/02/19/is-bigger-iphone-x-coming-in-2018.html

Last edited:
Reactions: afir93

Bruce Banner

Suspended
Feb 14, 2018
Just naturally curious why You copied and pasted this article directly from CultofMacs article making this seem as if it was your own post? It’s word for word copied direct from Cult of Mac. Perhaps you forgot to provide the link.

https://www.cultofmac.com/513809/apple-may-launch-6-5-inch-iphone-x-plus-2018/amp/

And you copied and pasted Most of this article directly from Fox News, Which You seemingly (Or mistakenly) forgot the link on this one as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/02/19/is-bigger-iphone-x-coming-in-2018.html
I'm not Tim Cook or Apple insider?!
I gather information from various apple related sites and post them here? I don't understand what's wrong with that? This site is all about Apple rumors and speculations?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm not Tim Cook or Apple insider?!

I’m not sure what this quote has anything to do with what I asked you? We know your not Tim Cook.

I gather information from various apple related sites and post them here?

I simply asked why you copied/pasted the above post(s) directly and perhaps didn’t provide a link. The majority of members usually provide links for something they directly copy and pasted. When you post something copied word from word from another article, It’s seemingly makes it look like it’s your own writing, when it’s from another source not citing it’s someone else’s work.

It’s also helpful to provide a link directly what you’re quoting from an article in case someone has a question about what you stated, does that not make sense?

Bruce Banner

Suspended
Feb 14, 2018
I’m not sure what this quote has anything to do with what I asked you? We know your not Tim Cook.

I simply asked why you copied/pasted the above post(s) directly and perhaps didn’t provide a link. The majority of members usually provide links for something they directly copy and pasted. When you post something copied word from word from another article, It’s seemingly makes it look like it’s your own writing, when it’s from another source not citing it’s someone else’s work.

It’s also helpful to provide a link directly what you’re quoting from an article in case someone has a question about what you stated, does that not make sense?
I apologize! You sound a bit rude:/

I'm new to this site ;-) and not familiar with that?

I will provide a link next time :-/

tesseracts

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
I've been playing with the 8 and X and can't get over the poor ergonomics of the X. The chassis is much wider than the 8's, which to me is the limit of what's comfortably palmable.

I may upgrade from my awesome SE to the 8—for the A11 and to pass mine down to my spouse—and wait it out for MicroLED screens.

I'd like to see:

Smaller form factor (unlikely they'll ever go back to the 8 chassis).

Terraced, graphene battery.

MicroLED screens at 240 Hz, HDR10, no PWM.

NO camera bump.

Camera that bests the Pixel 2's.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
I've been playing with the 8 and X and can't get over the poor ergonomics of the X. The chassis is much wider than the 8's, which to me is the limit of what's comfortably palmable.

I may upgrade from my awesome SE to the 8—for the A11 and to pass mine down to my spouse—and wait it out for MicroLED screens.

I'd like to see:

Smaller form factor (unlikely they'll ever go back to the 8 chassis).

Terraced, graphene battery.

MicroLED screens at 240 Hz, HDR10, no PWM.

NO camera bump.

Camera that bests the Pixel 2's.
The chassis widths for the 8 and X are 67,4 mm and 70,9 mm; without a direct comparison, not many people would even notice that the X has more width. Are these 3,5 mm difference really so jarring that one is entirely comfortable to hold and the other one not at all? Not trying to negate what you say, but I wouldn’t call the X „much wider“ by any means, in my experience their width difference is negligible at best from an ergonomic point of view.

As for the other points, you‘ll probably have to wait quite a while for a MicroLED screen and even more so one at 240 Hz, I wouldn‘t expect that anytime soon. I‘m also not sure what good a terraced battery would do as the insides of the current X are so densely packed that a terraced battery couldn’t really wrap around anything and would probably bring no noticeable battery size improvement. There are some rumors however about the next iPhone X/X+ generation to have a single L-shaped battery cell as opposed to the two cells in the current X which might increase capacity by a bit.

Reactions: 44267547

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I think it is pretty well baked at this point - the only mystery is if they update the SE.

iPhone 7 (price cut)
iPhone 8 (price cut)
LCD iPhone 6.1"
iPhone Xs
iPhone Xs+

If the LCD iPhone doesn't have wireless charging or force touch (which would be mistakes IMO), the most intriguing value proposition in this lineup may very well be the iPhone 8 - you get a strong processor, camera, and wireless charging for $549 or $600.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
If the LCD iPhone doesn't have wireless charging or force touch (which would be mistakes IMO), the most intriguing value proposition in this lineup may very well be the iPhone 8 - you get a strong processor, camera, and wireless charging for $549 or $600.

The Xs+ is going to be expensive if apple does not adjust their pricing. This phone may push upwards of 1500 dollars!
I paid $1299 for my X(256gb), and that was a hard pill to swallow. $1299 is pushing laptop pricing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.