Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
Help me understand

So these 2 new SKUs are suppose to be higher end than the upcoming XS2 and XS Max 2

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
That's my point, the whole song and dance with going to all glass was for wireless charging. Now that they failed in that department, shouldn't they switch back to aluminum back? Much more durable and my gosh, so much lighter!

The phones charge just fine wireless, no failure there. What they failed at was to produce their own Apple branded charging mat. Are you saying they should disallow wireless charging after already offering it?

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
I believe this. Apple can sell the higher end iPhones with cool features and USB-C, while keeping the other iPhones fairly similar to last year’s.

It’s smart honestly. Have a whole spectrum of options / price options, but have the most dramatic changes be the most expensive.
How is it smart? You think they will lower the price structure of the current XS line? Nope

These new SKUs will just be priced even higher

Reactions: KeithBN

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
The Apple watch is not Qi compatible sadly.

Yeah, but if they put charging capabilities on the new iPhone it ought to support the Watch. It isn't Qi compatible but they should find a way to charge it through the phone. If it only supported AirPods it would be useless, if is way more likely you're running out of battery on the iPhone than on the AirPods, unless you forget to charge it.

TailsToo

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
New Jersey
Apple seem to have the same Pre-Jobs problem. Can’t figure out who to market to, so make tons of products and hope they sell. There’s a significant cost to keep production going, inventory stocked, support services, etc for all these lines.

Having 7 or so active phones with multiple colors / configurations of each means you may get more customers, but the costs to get them are much, much higher so your pricing is up there too.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Wonder if Apple will switch to aluminum rather than heavy glass back, given their failure with the chargining mat.

Yea you can use any third party wireless charger, but it takes forever; beats the purpose
I charge my phone wirelessly overnight and while it sits on my desk at work. That seems exactly like the purpose to me.

What I really want is wireless at a distance, but doesn’t seem we are ever going to get that.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I'll pass. Since it will be slightly thicker, they may as well put a bigger battery which at least most will be happy.

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
They are actually suggesting 2019 will see the following new iPhones:
- iPhone XR 2
- iPhone XS 2
- iPhone XS Max 2
- iPhone X1
- iPhone X1 Max
That's if I read the article correctly.

Finally Triple-X seems in reach...

Reactions: raybo

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Two phones with this ugly design? Ouch....that said least they are giving same features to the bigger and smaller models.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
The least I expect from these overpriced iPhones is the introduction of USB-C port for faster data transfer to PC. But it would really be a huge shame if they stick to antiquated Lightning port which can’t even do USB 3 speeds. They did it with last year’s iPad Pros why not with iPhones this year? How much fragmentation do we need in Apple land?

Lightning could do 10Gbps if needed. Whether Apple will do it is an entirely different question. I hope they do, I love lightning port, but I want slightly more speed, even 5Gbps will do.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Gosh dang....those phones look ugly.
I bet most people who saw this without knowing it was apple would say it was on some cheap phone.
Apple said they're gonna be a "premium brand".
That look is a total opposite of premium.
Looks cheap and gross.
Apple seems to be in a self destruct mode.
Macbooks......all of them, excessive prices on their phones pushing people to Samsung where regular headphones, included quick charger, included headphones, more than 4 icons in a row, keyboard with numbers, faster spell checkers, USB-C, simple activation no need for itunes, are all still possible.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
shouldn't they switch back to aluminum back? Much more durable and my gosh, so much lighter!

I don’t think Apple would switch back to aluminum, because that would then eliminate the use of wireless charging for those who do have third-party wireless chargers. It’s still a convenience factor they should offer, given almost every smart phone manufacturer is offering wireless charging for smart phones.

MrBiggs

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
Honolulu, HI
Every time I see these renders, reality sets in more that this could very well be the next iPhone and its looks BASURA.

Where in the Johnny Ive world did this design pass Apple's "strict" rules of being at least good looking?

Reactions: 19callum93

19callum93

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
So five different version iPhones being released if I’m reading that correctly. Ah this is becoming a joke now? I’m really tempted this year to go for the XR 2 or 11R... what ever they call it. So far from leaks the triple camera lens set up is ugly and not appealing in my opinion. Plus can you imagine what the starting price will be on these new supposed 6.1” and 6.5” models. It becomes to a point when I think I just need something practical. - this is coming from a XS Max user, I’ve been very tempted to switch to XR.

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
I am having a hard time believing even Apple would be dumb enough to release so many different models at once. More willing to bet these are test models for 2020 revamps.

Reactions: radiologyman

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I love it. Now iPhone is again different from the rest of the crowd and with it, Apple shows that goes with FUNCTIONALITY over Design !
"the camera bump will see a 0.5mm reduction in protrusion" thats also nice
I hope Apple will adopt this thinking for upcoming Macbooks and so on, FUNCTION OVER Design/thinness

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
They are actually suggesting 2019 will see the following new iPhones:
- iPhone XR 2
- iPhone XS 2
- iPhone XS Max 2
- iPhone X1
- iPhone X1 Max
That's if I read the article correctly.

To quote the source

There is a possibility that the iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max will be updated models of the A chip etc that continues to use the current casing.

I think the source is rather uncertain on this.

I am also a little uneasy on the size difference. 6.1 and 6.5"? There is only 10% area differentiation between the two. Compared to 20% between the 6.5" and 5.8".

How does 6.1" OLED fit into all these? New XR ? As they have previously rumoured that Apple will be moving OLED to XR in 2020, may be that is being moved forward? OLED prices are dropping fast with over supply and may be Apple wanted to capture that? ( Obviously this won't be OLED from Samsung )

Edit:
Or May be We Get

iPhone XI 6.5" $1299
iPhone XI 6.1" $1199

iPhone XS 6.5" $1099 ( Updated with A13 and may be Intel 7660 Modem )
iPhone XS 5.8" $999 ( Updated with A13 and may be Intel 7660 Modem )

iPhone XR 6.1" $749 ( Updated with A13 and may be Intel 7660 Modem )

iPhone 8s 5.5" $649 ( $50 Discount and updated with A12 )
iPhone 8s 4.7" $549 ( $50 Discount and updated with A12 )

iPhone 7 - Discontined ( Continue to be sold in India )

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.