2019 iPhones Could Feature Smaller Notch as Apple Supplier Announces Under-Display Light and Proximity Sensors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Austrian Apple supplier AMS today announced the launch of new sensor technology that could be incorporated into future iPhones to cut down on the size of the notch that houses the TrueDepth Camera System used for Face ID.

AMS has developed a new RGB light and IR proximity sensor that's designed to be installed behind a smartphone's OLED display, reducing the outside area required for these sensors.

[​IMG]

The company says that its new light and proximity sensor could perhaps result in the elimination of the bezel in its entirety.
    According to AMS, the light and IR proximity sensor can sense ambient light passing through an OLED display, with unique algorithms developed to allow for accurate detection of ambient light without interference by the display's pixel brightness.

As noted by Reuters, AMS is the company that provides Apple with optical sensors for the TrueDepth camera system on the iPhone X, XR, XS, and XS Max. While AMS does not list Apple as a customer, analysts believe Apple accounts for approximately 45 percent of AMS' business.

Rumors have suggested that Apple is planning to introduce a smaller notch in its 2019 iPhones, and this new technology from AMS paves the way. We've also heard rumors suggesting Apple could debut an iPhone design that eliminates the notch entirely, but it's not entirely clear just how that would work as the front-facing camera still needs to be able to function even with some sensors under the display.

Article Link: 2019 iPhones Could Feature Smaller Notch as Apple Supplier Announces Under-Display Light and Proximity Sensors

2. joueboy macrumors 65816

3. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

4. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

if apple can find a way to put the camera module under pixels that can turn off or become clear somehow then we get a truly no bezel no notch phone.

i like that.

5. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

I'll be happy with any reduction in the notch that will eventually lead to its disappearance. The X-series iPhones look like unfinished products with the notch - not Apple-like.:cool:

Attached Files:

6. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

2019 iPhones are going to be exactly the same design with maybe a triple lens on the back. Bookmark me.

7. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I believe the notch is a design compromise Apple will get rid of as soon as they can.

8. SDJim macrumors member

SDJim

Can't wait for Apple's Super Infinity Hole display. "The best display we've ever put in a cell phone. Simply Incredible."

9. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Hardly some bold prediction seeing as apple don’t update design until 2-3 years after

10. fokmik macrumors 68040

At least that hole will be centred...i love cameras that look into your nose , now with the S10 and others will have a camera that will look into your ear

11. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Makes sense. Over time we should see the notch just bleed away - hopefully to nothing eventually.

12. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

I am going to stick with my X. I don't think I want to pay 1,500 bucks or more for a 16GB phone.

13. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

How about no Face ID or notch and in-display Touch ID instead? Thanks.

14. TComm macrumors member

15. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Makes sense, and since they’ve asked designers to pretend the notch doesn’t exist, it’s logical that they want to eventually do away with it.

16. meno mosso macrumors newbie

I saw "iPhones could feature smaller..." and was really hoping the next words was "size." I'm still hanging on to my aging and barely functioning iPhone SE as all the newer phones feel too large to me. I'm guessing I'm in the minority with this, as most people seem happy with the larger and larger phones. I keep holding out hope for an iPhone SE2, but it seems unlikely that it's coming at this point. But... at least the notch is getting smaller. ;)

17. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

That photo of a phone is the end game.

Will it be patent-able or will all phones look like this?

18. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Hate to imagine how much money Tim will want for this.
    $200 more?

19. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

You're in a very, very VOCAL minority. The iPhone SE was cheap for Apple to produce because it was just a rehash of the iPhone 5. I doubt they're gonna spend the R&D to design a brand new 4.5" phone with all the new specs of the X series.

20. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

you can't patent something that is "obvious" - and by that I mean that reducing the notch and bezel is the obvious evolution of current phone designs.

You can patent, however, the technology that allows you to get to that point - unless that in and of itself is also an obvious evolution of some current tech.

21. cppguy macrumors 6502

If they put a fingerprint sensor under the screen, the notch could be as small as a camera hole. Other manufacturers are already doing it. The light source can be coming from the display. The speakers can be located behind the screen. No one is speaking on the phone anymore, so no need for it to be next to the ear anymore. There's no reason for a huge notch these days at all.

22. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Samsung are already working on that according to a leak. Hopefully Apple can use their tech (they already use Samsung screens) or have developed their own.

https://www.oled-info.com/samsung-d...ture-sensor-technologies-under-oled-solutions

23. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

The ambient light and proximity sensor are just a small portion of the array in the notch.

For the notch to be substantially removed, they’d have to replace the flood illuminate, the infra red dot projector and its IR camera with something entirely different. This would still leave the camera and speaker.

14CA873A-A26D-40DE-B48A-0882E6D2C421.jpeg

24. rom3o macrumors regular

We though so about the protruding camera as well...

25. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

The iPhone SE is a 6S inside a 5S body; i.e., they just used a smaller screen. Yes, it is cheaper to use the older shell's blueprint and put newer chips inside.

I don't mind a the iPhone SE v 2.0 being an iPhone 8 inside the SE body; better still, a minimal edge SE with the iPhone X inside. The iPhone 5S body is a marvel to date.