2019 iPhones Said to Feature Revamped Taptic Engine and Front-Facing Slo-Mo Video Recording

PastaPrimav

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2017
That is not what I said. It is like it was back in the days of the Apple 2. There is no point flogging a dead horse. I don't believe that there are anymore innovations that can be applied to a smartphone. So for innovative ideas look elsewhere.
[doublepost=1563963716][/doublepost]

Rubbish. Of course he wants innovation, but that is not going to be in any of the existing product lines. Back when Apple only made computers the innovation came from other products, ipod, iphone etc. As I said there noxt big innovation may be in the self driving car world. History shows they are not the first to the party, but when they arrive there product is genrally better than the current lineup.
Lol. Nope. Self-driving cars are a complete nonstarter. They have about as much chance of penetrating the real world as AR does (none). There is not a single person outside of a tiny, deluded tech bubble that is even remotely interested in self-driving cars.

There is tons of interest everywhere in electric and renewal energy for vehicle fuel, but zero interest in letting software drive for us. And it doesn't matter how much cash the tech giants blow on their research and demos. No one cares. No one wants one. No one wants them on the road with them.

Tommo66

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
Lol. Nope. Self-driving cars are a complete nonstarter. They have about as much chance of penetrating the real world as AR does (none). There is not a single person outside of a tiny, deluded tech bubble that is even remotely interested in self-driving cars.

There is tons of interest everywhere in electric and renewal energy for vehicle fuel, but zero interest in letting software drive for us. And it doesn't matter how much cash the tech giants blow on their research and demos. No one cares. No one wants one. No one wants them on the road with them.
Totally agree, you'll never get me in one, but the safety guys think they are a great idea. With the global drive towards tackling climate change I think they are coming whether we want them or not.

PastaPrimav

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2017
For me (and lots of us) any phone that forces us to use it two-handed is less usable, and an unfortunate tradeoff. I don’t care that the screen fits more stuff if that means I can’t reach the whole thing one-handed without shifting it around in my hand or perching it on my fingers (both have resulted in dropping it). And even the smallest current iPhones peek out of many of my pockets. That counts towards usability too. The usefulness curve is not an infinite linear function of screen size any more than the usefulness of a truck is a function of its length (imagine trying to park a pickup with a 12-foot bed). It’s okay to have an opinion without pretending it’s a fact.
I'll address the last line first to say, No, there are no opinions. There is right, and then tons of people who think they're right. "Opinion" is something wrong people invented to feel better about themselves.

Every iPhone going back to the original has 2-handed requirement. It is an oft-repeated fallacy that any of the original breed of iPhone was a solely 1-handed device. A XS Max today is no more or less a 1-handed device than an iPhone 3G because of physical size. As the devices have gotten physically larger (mostly taller, a XS Max is a mere 15 mm wider than an iPhone 3G!) Apple has continuously redesigned the software and UI to account for it.

In many ways the modern iPhone is more 1-handed than any iPhone was in the early years...back when everyone had to do the "rocking thumb" move to balance the phone in your hand while moving your thumb to touch something at the top of the screen. The majority of the controls do not require touching anywhere near the top of the screen today. And on rare occasion when you do, Reachability is there is to bring it down into anyone's reach.

And I'm sorry but yes, the usefulness factor has proven itself to be directly related to screen size. The overwhelming majority of functions/actions have demonstrated themselves to be better and easier the larger the screen is. That on top of the numerous things that are simply not possible on screens that are too small. Even at the size the XS Max has achieved, there still things I must stop and continue on an iPad instead because the device is still too small. But measurably fewer than the iPhone X, which achieved the same before that, etc.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
The Note 10 is more innovative device, than the new iPhone XS (S)
6.8-inch Infinity-O AMOLED
SD855+ or Exynos9825 (7nm)
8GB RAM + 256GB ROM
12MP Wide + 16MP Ultra Wide + 12MP Zoom + DepthVison ToF
4300mAh with 45W charging + 15W PowerShare + 25W charger
UFS3.0
S-Pen with "Air Actions" gestures.

I don’t understand how this represents real innovation. Some spec differences? Really? Did any of those things not exist in a phone before? Smaller bezels? Wow, dude! I don’t even think people know what innovation means anymore. The complainers have used it up. You want innovative? Try FaceID. And no, not personally preferring it doesn’t mean it’s not innovative.

A lot of Apple’s history also involves real innovation that’s behind the scenes rather than ooh-ah-sparkly. iMac hinge, FaceID, making their hardware feel faster than higher-specced hardware, color gamut, drill-down text, etc. Apple ignited the smartphone market. How many true revolutions in one market segment do you demand? It’s now all about UI, polish, and incremental change.

The fact is that handheld tech has converged. The others have caught up to Apple (and the debate continues as to how; I have my opinion). Until we have holographic interactive displays or some such, smartphones will continue to look similar.

Last edited:

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
XS Max here. Upgraded from an X and had regrets. Had every iPhone since the 3G. This year will be my first year where I won't be getting a new phone. Don't see the need. My current phone is good for another year or two as is.
  • Cost - Getting to be prohibitive
  • Features - minimal improvements at best (same each year, processor boost, camera upgrade, minor cosmetics, etc)
  • Design - still the same for the past 4 years
  • No USB-C - still can't connect a brand new iPhone to a brand new MacBook out of the box.
  • No fast charger - still the same old 5w adapter on a $1000+ flagship phone.
  • 5GB of iCloud storage - Really? 2019 - $1200 XS Max and you're still shafting me with 5GB of free iCloud storage as a base? <-- That's the tea!

Openworld1234

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2019
I cannto wait for to upgrade my iPhone xs max to this year iphone the three camera setup looks amazing to be honest.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
XS Max here. Upgraded from an X and had regrets. Had every iPhone since the 3G. This year will be my first year where I won't be getting a new phone. Don't see the need. My current phone is good for another year or two as is.
  • Features - minimal improvements at best (same each year, processor boost, camera upgrade, minor cosmetics, etc)
  • No USB-C - still can't connect a brand new iPhone to a brand new MacBook out of the box.
  • 5GB of iCloud storage - Really? 2019 - $1200 XS Max and you're still shafting me with 5GB of free iCloud storage as a base? <-- That's the tea!
Fast charger is expected in the box this year though.

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Every iPhone going back to the original has 2-handed requirement. It is an oft-repeated fallacy that any of the original breed of iPhone was a solely 1-handed device. A XS Max today is no more or less a 1-handed device than an iPhone 3G because of physical size. As the devices have gotten physically larger (mostly taller, a XS Max is a mere 15 mm wider than an iPhone 3G!) Apple has continuously redesigned the software and UI to account for it.
This is bullocks.

Reactions: Kabeyun

falainber

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
It looks like this year salespeople will have really difficult time trying to explain how the new iPhone model is better than the previous one. I am curious which models Apple is going to keep selling? Situation was similar last year and Apple simply discontinued iPhone X. Are they going to discontinue XS and keep selling XR and 8?

Harthag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I'll address the last line first to say, No, there are no opinions. There is right, and then tons of people who think they're right. "Opinion" is something wrong people invented to feel better about themselves.
That's a ridiculous statement and the 2nd time you've said it. There is no way anyone outside of the tech world is interested in self driving cars? No one is able to use the original iPhone with one hand? Larger screens are more practical and useful for most people? Reachability is the "right" way to use the Max? These aren't your opinions, these are just "right" based on your above statement? Not only that, but the people you attack in this thread are all wrong but trying to feel better about themselves by stating they have an opinion? Really? Wow...

Reactions: Kabeyun

PastaPrimav

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2017
That's a ridiculous statement and the 2nd time you've said it. There is no way anyone outside of the tech world is interested in self driving cars? No one is able to use the original iPhone with one hand? Larger screens are more practical and useful for most people? Reachability is the "right" way to use the Max? These aren't your opinions, these are just "right" based on your above statement? Not only that, but the people you attack in this thread are all wrong but trying to feel better about themselves by stating they have an opinion? Really? Wow...
I haven't pointed out anything that you don't already know. Some people get so lost in their own ideas (or "opinions" if you must) that disagree with reality that they start to think there can be more than one truth if they just...disagree hard enough.

Harthag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I haven't pointed out anything that you don't already know. Some people get so lost in their own ideas (or "opinions" if you must) that disagree with reality that they start to think there can be more than one truth if they just...disagree hard enough.
Alright then.

I actually agree with your thoughts about self driving cars and hope they never materialize / become mainstream. I digress. Despite my earlier comment on my dislike for less than 1080p screen, the new XR will actually be the iPhone I'll end up getting this year if I upgrade. It'll be a great iPhone. Unless I'm blown away by the 5.8" XI or whatever it'll be called.

Rob_2811

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom

Is there another company that nickel and dimes its customer compared to its competitors as much as Apple do these days?

The bold parts are laughably cheap on Apples part.

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
Better stereo sound? The speaker is just louder lol. The others aren't really special since they can be done by Software. Just Like 3D Touch and Portrait.
I forgot about dual sim support, stereo sound on videos and bigger camera sensor... lol but anyway. I won't argue. I just think that there are still some nice features that Apple is hiding, although they're postponing quite a lot for the next year's (allegedly) big release.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Se
I’d rather have a wide-angle selfie cam than slow motion. I hope we get that eventually.
Selfies? Oh please, do people have nothing better to do?
[doublepost=1564003955][/doublepost]
they need to include some 2019-iphone-only emojis in order to appeal to at least some people...
Yes, the "I wasted too much money" emoji :)
[doublepost=1564004175][/doublepost]How about WiFi 6, is that in the new iPhone?

Reactions: alexandr

Burger Thing

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
The Note 10 is more innovative device, than the new iPhone XS (S)
6.8-inch Infinity-O AMOLED
SD855+ or Exynos9825 (7nm)
8GB RAM + 256GB ROM
12MP Wide + 16MP Ultra Wide + 12MP Zoom + DepthVison ToF
4300mAh with 45W charging + 15W PowerShare + 25W charger
UFS3.0
S-Pen with "Air Actions" gestures.

What you listed are mostly specs. Not innovation.

My prediction: the new Note will go the same route as the previous Galaxy models. Sales will continue to drop. The main competitor for Samsung hasn't been Apple now for quite a while, as the Apple wagon has accelerated into a far distance and out of reach for Samsung. It's Huawei and the likes.

There will be a few people moving across to Samsung but the harsh reality for the fans of said brand will be (as usual): Samsung will try very hard, there will be an awkward presentation, tons of money wasted on aggressive marketing and in a few months we will hear the news of how Samsung's profit in the mobil segment has declined yet again.

macrumors Demi-God
Oct 2, 2016
I forgot about dual sim support, stereo sound on videos and bigger camera sensor... lol but anyway. I won't argue. I just think that there are still some nice features that Apple is hiding, although they're postponing quite a lot for the next year's (allegedly) big release.
Those are the special features? Stuff that existed on other phones for 3 years already?
[doublepost=1564008656][/doublepost]
These leaks have been right on for years. I know this is the iPhone we are going to get. But I am in denial about it. How depressing.
Lol, you were the one who refused to believe Apple would go wiith such an awful camera module design. I asked ironically if you've seen Apple's recent designs? Everything they've been releasing looks hideous. Inside and Out.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
...Everything they've been releasing looks hideous. Inside and Out.
IMO, I think the max looks gorgeous, especially in space grey, notch and all. Looks are subjective. As looks are subjective, whether one likes the look of some of the android designs and likes them better or worse than Apple designs is well, subjective.

Reactions: StumpyBloke