2019 iPhones Said to Feature Revamped Taptic Engine and Front-Facing Slo-Mo Video Recording

Burger Thing

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
After so many rumors about new specs and new tech for the 2020 phones I simply can’t imagine that Apple won’t have a killer feature for the 2019 phones, especially if sales are already flat for the XS models. So I hope that the killer feature will be 120 Hz screens. That might sway me into an upgrade.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

Waughy

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Waiting for the keynote, and a hands on, before deciding if I'll get one to return to an iPhone, or hold onto my Galaxy S10 5G another year. Nothing wrong with the current phone, I just prefer iOS as it fits in better with my other gadgets at home. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until March, so plenty of time to get a feel for the iPhone, and see how it goes in real world use. If I'm not happy I'll just go another 6 months and see what releases next year.
Actually that might be a better plan, by then I'll be in my upgrade window so will be able to order as soon as they are available.

I could have bought an XS Max and then sold the S10, but I had an adult moment and cancelled the credit card I just paid out, rather than using it to buy a phone now. No drama waiting, the S10 is a fantastic phone, and Android has come a long way in the last few years, it just doesn't integrate as well as my old iPhone at home, and there are a handful of apps that either aren't on android, or aren't as polished as the iOS versions.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
This will be the first time I won’t be interested in the newest model iPhone. My XS Max is good, more than good enough to last another year. Will pay mine off early and buy Apple smart battery case.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
That brown colour is looking good.

Just trying to break the streak of negativity on this forum.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I refuse to believe that Apple is really going with that hideous, oversized mess of a camera module. No way, this is a company that cares about design. And that is just dreadful design. I'm sure Apple will surprise us with a proper design. This has to be a humorous misdirection.

macrumors Demi-God
Oct 2, 2016
Do you know what “innovative” means? Spec bumps aren’t innovative, nor has any recent Samsung phone outperformed recent iPhones regardless of specs, except for cameras.
There’s innovation... cameras that even the latest iPhone couldn’t win. How is USF 3.0 a spec bump? In that case Taptic Engine is also a spec bump since there was already an existent vibration engine.
[doublepost=1563933253][/doublepost]
I refuse to believe that Apple is really going with that hideous, oversized mess of a camera module. No way, this is a company that cares about design. And that is just dreadful design. I'm sure Apple will surprise us with a proper design. This has to be a humorous misdirection.
Have you looked at recent Apple designs? Looks like you are in denial...

Reactions: PC_tech

Kabeyun

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
It won't.

Simple fact is the larger it is, the more useful it is. All you're doing by lamenting your iPhone 4 in every post is demonstrating that you don't want to do anything with it. You're fine with trading all the usability for a tiny bit of portability, and that argument understandably lost a long time ago.
For me (and lots of us) any phone that forces us to use it two-handed is less usable, and an unfortunate tradeoff. I don’t care that the screen fits more stuff if that means I can’t reach the whole thing one-handed without shifting it around in my hand or perching it on my fingers (both have resulted in dropping it). And even the smallest current iPhones peek out of many of my pockets. That counts towards usability too. The usefulness curve is not an infinite linear function of screen size any more than the usefulness of a truck is a function of its length (imagine trying to park a pickup with a 12-foot bed). It’s okay to have an opinion without pretending it’s a fact.

Last edited:

Robotech

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2016
I’ve waited this long with my 7. What’s one more year? Not much in the way of attention grabbing necessity here. But suffice it to say it will THE FASTEST IPHONE EVER. I have the iPad Pro and would like to get the phone when both will have the same charge port so I can stop carrying around 2 different chargers/cords. Hopefully next years computer in your hand prices will justify the upgrade. As for now my family’s phone bill will continue to reflect 4 paid off 7s.
Yeah I’d be shocked at anyone with a working phone choosing this year’s model to upgrade to.
Apple should be ashamed at how pointless the 2019 model is.

Muzzakus

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
Do whatever you want. Just continue the current gen models next year at 50% off.

It’s time to make iPhone great again.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
So the only new things is removing 3d touch, so it becomes worse than already is.. and an added lense that is quite pointless and even make the design worse. And a new processor that make no difference since the current one can run the sofware at the softwares highest speed already

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Hard to believe that Apple is only improving the Camera and updating the internals in the 2019 iPhones

And if that's the case then shame on Apple for calling it a new model or even putting it out.

CordovaLark

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2018
If this year, more than likely, is going to be the lackluster year for hardware you think Apple would make Software stand out. For example making their Apps/Services no longer chained to OS in order to get updates i.e. Apple Maps, Siri. So they can get constant updates, and features.

Last edited:

Tommo66

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
Imagine you were CEO of a company... poor company... "Guys stop everything! there's nothing else that can be done here. Our business closes now". :rolleyes:
That is not what I said. It is like it was back in the days of the Apple 2. There is no point flogging a dead horse. I don't believe that there are anymore innovations that can be applied to a smartphone. So for innovative ideas look elsewhere.
[doublepost=1563963716][/doublepost]
This entire line of thinking that there "isn't much left to do" is wildly, unacceptably absurd.

Tim's job is not different. He has consciously changed Apple's approach, slowly and methodically over the last 8 years. Tim wants to run a boring and predictable company...he doesn't want anything truly innovative, because he can't quantify that.
Rubbish. Of course he wants innovation, but that is not going to be in any of the existing product lines. Back when Apple only made computers the innovation came from other products, ipod, iphone etc. As I said there noxt big innovation may be in the self driving car world. History shows they are not the first to the party, but when they arrive there product is genrally better than the current lineup.

Reactions: Kabeyun

Kabeyun

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Apple should be ashamed at how pointless the 2019 model is.
...shame on Apple for calling it a new model or even putting it out.
The public and tech media also bear responsibility. Over the years we’ve come to demand annual product revolution lest the company be accused of being slackers, innovation-delinquent, or “falling behind.” To many consumers and reporters, not producing a new phone would be even more of a sin than producing one that isn’t impressive enough.

I’ve been waiting for the good one for 5 years. It’s still garbage. Good ain’t coming. Not with the Cookie Monster as CEO.
So all iPhones for the last 5 years are garbage. I’d ask what a non-garbage iPhone would feature but you’ve killed off your credibility. Maybe stop wringing your hands, and buy an Android whatsis.

Last edited:

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
The public and tech media also bear responsibility. Over the years we’ve come to demand annual product revolution lest the company be accused of being slackers, innovation-delinquent, or “falling behind.” To many consumers and reporters, not producing a new phone would be even more of a sin than producing one that isn’t impressive enough.

So all iPhones for the last 5 years are garbage. I’d ask what a non-garbage iPhone would feature but you’ve killed off your credibility. Maybe stop wringing your hands, and buy an Android whatsis.
It’s the same thing every year.
Most of them don’t even want an iPhone.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The innovation is so slow.. wtf happened to apple
It’s the market not just Apple...technology has slowed down
[doublepost=1563975930][/doublepost]
The Note 10 is more innovative device, than the new iPhone XS (S)
6.8-inch Infinity-O AMOLED
SD855+ or Exynos9825 (7nm)
8GB RAM + 256GB ROM
12MP Wide + 16MP Ultra Wide + 12MP Zoom + DepthVison ToF
4300mAh with 45W charging + 15W PowerShare + 25W charger
UFS3.0
S-Pen with "Air Actions" gestures.

Why mention the chip and ram when the iPhone wiry their chip will still be better and the ram won’t be any better from apples 4GB to note 8GB

Apple will also have improved zoom and ultra wide angle lens

note 10 will be good but you will still do the same things on the iPhone as you would the note bar the s pen

Reactions: Kabeyun

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2018
Wow,such innovation! Even i am getting bored now and i am a big Apple fan.Think i will definetely stick with my XS Max for another year.
That’s a really strange decision.
That’s a VERY old phone.
I honestly don’t think it’ll even operate by next year... certainly the battery has gotta be near shot by now.

If you buy the highest tier offering, you might expect a bit more longevity- but you’re being pretty extreme, trying to squeeze a whole ‘nother year out of a XS Max.

Leave us updates of how your radical and crazy decision turns out!

(if not obvious) ————-> /S

As an aside: does the XS Max not have autocorrect????
How does any piece of modern tech allow their user to pepper posts with made up words like definetely & use the word I four separate times, sans capitalization?

Hushpuppy!

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
The innovation is so slow.. wtf happened to apple
probably the same thing that happened to every other device maker. The technology has plateaued.
What’s the big difference between the LG G6, G7, G8... not much
What’s the big difference between the Samsung S8, S9, S10... not much
What’s the big difference between the Google Pixel 1, 2 or 3... not much.
Same with any other manufacturer.
Get the picture.

fourthtunz

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
maybe from an xr, but probably not from an xs. it will obvs be an improvement, but doubtful that it's worth making an upgrade... depends on individual needs)
exactly. Have to see how much faster the new processor is..good for music apps.