2019 iPhones Said to Feature Revamped Taptic Engine and Front-Facing Slo-Mo Video Recording

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
It's a phone, at this point there really isnt much to do to improve them on a yearly basis. Just enjoy fact you can now use them for 4-5 years instead of dropping $1k/year.
They could have at least made a modern phone. But with huge ugly notch, no embedded fingerprint sensor and outdated lightning port, it's a phone of the past, not worthy of being released in 2019. If there is any reason to pay $1000+ for it, is if you're a retro fanatic.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
You just listed a spec sheet. What’s innovative about more ram or a bigger battery? If Apple wanted to be spec whores they could do the same thing.
Plus the OS is not delivering anything spectacular.
[doublepost=1563911865][/doublepost]
Not really Apple specific - there haven't been earth shaking new innovations by other phone makers either (with the exception of that failed attempt at a folding phones by Samsung). It's what you get when you have a mature market.
Key point there - mature market. In a phone form factor - how much more "innovation" can there be? All you can really do is up specs and/or performance and its the software that will have to deliver new capabilities. The big innovation of the iPhone in 2007 was the use of all screen with no "keyboard" with software delivering the capabilities through Apps.

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
But wouldn't you want your iPhone screen to feel even smoother by having 120hz refresh rate? What about being able to use your iPhone for 2 days straight without needing to charge? Like increase the battery size by making other components smaller? What about having the option to use Face ID and in display fingerprint? What about creating a new file system for their SSD's in which would speed up iOS first launch by making your iPhone turn on instantly in case it was shutdown, that can be useful for emergencies. What about being able to charge your iPhone wirelessly, I mean really wirelessly by having a router connected to your mains and between 10-20m the iPhone would receive charge? What about decreasing the Notch in order to still accomodate all the components by making them smaller, in order to increase screen size? What about the camera being able to detect that you're taking a picture in low light and instantly create a night mode just like Pixel Phones in order to make night pictures looking just like they were shot at daylight?

These are just some innovations they could make. But it's easier to sell the same package at a higher price with a new colour.
[doublepost=1563901391][/doublepost]
12MP Wide + 16MP Ultra Wide + 12MP Zoom + DepthVison ToF
4300mAh with 45W charging + 15W PowerShare + 25W charger
UFS3.0
S-Pen with "Air Actions" gestures.

In case you missed it.
Do you know what “innovative” means? Spec bumps aren’t innovative, nor has any recent Samsung phone outperformed recent iPhones regardless of specs, except for cameras.

Applfan81

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
Not changing my XS, Unless prices drops down 20% But i can think of one group of people bying just for slomo front cam:Thots with DD who make money sending pics to stupid men for money(in my country they are just called attention-prostitutes) no need for post editing silicon-bouncing, so that save them a lot of time for more hard work:rolleyes:

Last edited:

IIGS User

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2019
It's a phone, at this point there really isnt much to do to improve them on a yearly basis. Just enjoy fact you can now use them for 4-5 years instead of dropping $1k/year.
It's a commodity now. Like a toaster, or a fridge.

You don't buy a new toaster because it has cool new features. It's a friggin toaster. It does all the toasting a toaster could ever do. You only buy a new toaster when your toaster breaks.

You don't buy a new fridge just for some feature you'll use at MOST 100 times over the life of the unit. Does it make the cold? Then you keep it until it breaks, and then get the cheapest new thing that brings the cold.

Phones have gotten to that point. At the prices are so astronomical, the upgrade/cost quotient is so out of balance that getting a new toaster, er phone isn't a compelling purchase until the one you have breaks.

The current crop of iPhones have processing power on par with many laptop computers at this point. Which have sort of reached a plateau themselves. Unless you're video editing or in Excel Hell all day, you an only do so much with a laptop that would make Skynet jealous.

I have the latest iStuff (MBP, Xr, iPad Pro 11", Watch 4). I don't see a new purchase in the near future. These techsoup items should keep me in toast for quite a while....

ATXSEA

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2019
Seattle, WA
Anyone know where I can find the wallpaper that is on the mockup? I have tried to search for it here and cannot find. Thank you in advance to anyone who may be able to help.

Cheers!

GtrDude

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2011
You can get third party keyboard apps for that.
I understand but I would prefer to use the Apple keyboard.
Samsung, Google, Motorola etc. etc. all have it built in the stock keyboard.
Plus they've had swype for years and now Apple is finally jumping on it with ios 13 as if it's the latest thing
Yes, I know there are also third party apps for that as well but for security reasons I want/need to only use the Apple keyboard.

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
The problem with the 2019 iPhone is that it'll likely look like junk next to the rumored 2020 model. For those who wait several years between upgrades, the 2019 is too much of a risk- getting stuck with the "lame" iPhone when the "good" one is around the corner

Reactions: Wide opeN

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
It won't.

Simple fact is the larger it is, the more useful it is. All you're doing by lamenting your iPhone 4 in every post is demonstrating that you don't want to do anything with it. You're fine with trading all the usability for a tiny bit of portability, and that argument understandably lost a long time ago.
50” phone would be the most useful then! There’s a threshold, and we can disagree where that sits for each of us personally, it’s ok!

Reactions: Kabeyun

SR 7

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
The problem with the 2019 iPhone is that it'll likely look like junk next to the rumored 2020 model. For those who wait several years between upgrades, the 2019 is too much of a risk- getting stuck with the "lame" iPhone when the "good" one is around the corner
I’ve been waiting for the good one for 5 years. It’s still garbage. Good ain’t coming. Not with the Cookie Monster as CEO.

Datalinks

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Me too. Thinking of paying the XS Max loan off and living phone debt free this year. There's nothing compelling about these 2019 phones.
If you own an XS Max you don't need a new phone. Take a holiday instead.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2018
If the rumours are anything to go by, looks like I'll be holding onto my (horrible) 16GB iPhone 6S for a bit longer!

**maestro**

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2018
The ONLY thing that will get me to upgrade from my 7 Plus is PHYSICAL Dual SIM. Not this eSIM thing that still isn't supported in Italy, nor anywhere in the world using two pre-paid numbers!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
If front facing slow-mo video is a major feature of the next iPhone, it sounds like my trusty iPhone X is going to be just fine for another year. I’ll probably refuse to buy a new model until it has USB-C anyway, dealing with Lightning is getting to be annoying when everything else I have is now USB-C.

Although it’s not exclusive to Apple, they are really running out of compelling new features for phones on the hardware side (lots of interesting things happening in software though).

When they work the kinks out of folding OLED/MicroLED display technology, THAT will be a compelling reason to upgrade for me, but based on the failures we’ve seen so far it’s obviously not there yet.

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The Note 10 is more innovative device, than the new iPhone XS (S)
6.8-inch Infinity-O AMOLED
SD855+ or Exynos9825 (7nm)
8GB RAM + 256GB ROM
12MP Wide + 16MP Ultra Wide + 12MP Zoom + DepthVison ToF
4300mAh with 45W charging + 15W PowerShare + 25W charger
UFS3.0
S-Pen with "Air Actions" gestures.

Thanks for the spec list. Oh wait, you forgot the OS. Not iOS? Thanks, I’ll pass.
[doublepost=1563925466][/doublepost]
How about real innovation like a holographic projector. Press a button and your screen projects a 3D UI. Imagine laying your phone down and watching Twitch projected in mid-air. But we can expect more gimmickry like FaceID, which no one asked for.

As someone who lives on his smartphone all day and night—I sleep next to my smartphone—I pine for the day Apple makes the phone really innovative. Like putting in a bigger battery so I can watch even more Twitch.
Um...because “3D” projection without a medium to project on (like smoke-filled air) isn’t actually a thing? You could project onto a wall or other flat surface but that doesn’t seem like a main-stream enough need for Apple.

But bigger battery, sure, I fully support that even if it makes it somewhat thicker.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors regular
May 30, 2016
That is not typical by any means.

Most people are up to their ears in Lighting cables, and are lucky if they can find a single USB-C cable if the need arises. On the other end, USB-A is still on everything and is everywhere. USB-C has made zero in-roads.

1. Smartphone makers like Samsung and Google didn't have proprietary connectors distributed in the hundreds of billions all over the globe, they were using the worst connector ever devised by man (Micro-USB), so switching to USB-C was trivial. If something else comes along tomorrow that is better, they will switch to that too.

2. Desktop PC's have plenty of space to include anything remotely usable, so USB-C appears there alongside USB-A.

3. Laptops are a unique breed of device that need lots of I/O ability but are limited on space, and USB-C saved the day there by offloading everything to dongle hell.

USB-C has seen adoption precisely where it makes sense for it to be adopted for its usability, just like every other kind of I/O to come before it. No one anywhere has adopted it for the reason of "lets have the same connector on everything for the greater good".

It is only users, more specifically a certain kind of user living in a self-created tech bubble, that thinks of USB-C in any other way than that.
As Apple has adopted a USB-C for charging both the iPad, which used to use a lightning port, and the MacBooks, which used to use a proprietary Apple charger, it seems pretty certain that eventually the iPhone will switch over too.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

jzuena

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Lexington, MA, USA
tidbits so far from the 2019 iPhone rumor mill don't even make iPhone 6 users want to upgrade (until the 2020 models come out)
Lack of iOS 13 support leading to no CarPlay update means I'll finally be upgrading my 6.

Probably not a very good analogy here. Most iPhone 6 users who are not enticed to upgrade from a phone that was released in 2014, obviously wouldn’t care much, simply because they don’t pay attention to the amount of changes that iPhone has occurred over the years. They’ll keep using their iPhone 6 until it breaks or the battery needs to be replaced.
I've been keeping up with the changes, just haven't seen any that made me say "wow, I need a new phone", unlike the 4 -> 5 -> 6 upgrades I made.