2019 iPhones Said to Feature Revamped Taptic Engine and Front-Facing Slo-Mo Video Recording

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2019.

1. cardfan macrumors 68000

thought that was 2020. Of course another reason to skip 2019 is to save your money for the increased 5g plans. The carriers are hungry

2. jonnyb098 macrumors 68030

jonnyb098

With one huge drawback, it runs Android and will run like garbage in a couple years due to the usual lack of updates in a timely manor. If you go android , pixel is the only way to go for any sort of longevity

3. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Some people want a new device every year.... Whether it be because they are tech enthusiasts or because they have enough disposable income through hard work and they can easily afford one. Everyone is different. Apple has enough brainpower, engineers, and R&D cash to create a phone full of new features and new design every year if they wanted to..... But that's not really good for business and for the bottom line so instead they trickle out updates to keep manufacturing costs low and profit margins high. So just because you don't see a need or want for yearly updates does not mean everyone should think the same way.... I personally have no interest in upgrading, but I used to every year so I can certainly understand if someone wants to.

4. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

5. twolf2919 macrumors regular

Not really Apple specific - there haven't been earth shaking new innovations by other phone makers either (with the exception of that failed attempt at a folding phones by Samsung). It's what you get when you have a mature market.

6. fokmik macrumors 68040

no, no innovations there ...there are just more specs and features...thats all. Now people, if one brand make a bigger phone/display calls innovation...or if it give it more RAM...= innovation...no people, is just evolution/update. Thats all
    I love more the amoled 120hz than this note...so sad that the race for even bigger phones is still here

7. Harthag macrumors 6502a

For a phone launching in late 2019 and into 2020, that costs $750+, to (still) not have a 1080p screen, is just ridiculous. Sure many people will never notice, the XR is still a great phone, etc...But at this point Apple is just taking us all for suckers and laughing to the bank. I am fine with LCD. Just put a damn 1080p screen in the XR already, Apple.

8. cardfan macrumors 68000

Someone at Apple probably asked that and got smacked upside the head.

9. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

How about real innovation like a holographic projector. Press a button and your screen projects a 3D UI. Imagine laying your phone down and watching Twitch projected in mid-air. But we can expect more gimmickry like FaceID, which no one asked for.

As someone who lives on his smartphone all day and night—I sleep next to my smartphone—I pine for the day Apple makes the phone really innovative. Like putting in a bigger battery so I can watch even more Twitch.

10. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

Nope, I'm fine with my XS Max for another year - or more (we'll see what 2020 brings). I do think I will have to get a replacement battery for this Max before 2020..whatever.

I think I messed with front "selfie" cam a few times and that was seeing what the Animoji craze was about, that didn't last long. 99.9% of the time I use the rear camera for everything. (The brief FaceApp aging trend last week..glad I missed that with the privacy issues.) Only time I look at the front camera is to unlock the phone.

Fine, many will love this, the front camera is for this "selfie" epidemic...I mean generation,
    I guess FaceTime...I'm just part of that thank God.

But Slo Mo selfies..eck! My opinion, I am just disgusted of the vision of Apple now and this comes from a hardcore Apple fan. THIS 2019 phone should have been much, much more advanced than what it's predicted to be! I can picture the keynote already . hyping the "best camera" on any phone...bla bla" No, i'm sorry...t's just not.

Ok, rear camera day time shots, portraits do look good....but night time photos..still in 2019...eh! (The 3rd party apps like Focos, Obscura, Moment and others with total full manual controls CAN improve those real darker night shots though...especially slow shutter - small tripod is needed). One improvement I'd love to see, a higher ISO for rear video in darker situations - and maybe these 2019 phones will have better settings for dark conditions - I dont know. I grabbed some clips of some amazing lightning 2 nights ago. Focus is way off, with the exception of the lighting that flashed - the video is just dark and useless. In hindsight I SHOULD have used FLIMC Pro, I just forgot in the moment. :(

I'm getting off topic, sorry I'm venting.

11. fokmik macrumors 68040

since most of the people cant differentiate 1080p near the XR....but the battery life they can feel...i think its well thought out

12. AZMecha macrumors regular

AZMecha

Damn it :mad::mad::mad:

My thoughts were too skip this upgrade cycle and stick with XSmax til 2020 launce but I like this image render...

WHY!!!!
    WHY!!!!
    WHY!!!!
    :apple::apple::apple:

13. mikethemartian macrumors 6502a

When in slo mo will it automatically dub in the theme of the Six Million Dollar Man?

14. FFR Suspended

FFR

Not this again.

15. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

why slow mo for the front facing camera? I don't see the point

16. truthertech macrumors 68000

Pro tip. Don't base your mood based on a single unsourced rumor about an unreleased product.

17. FFR Suspended

FFR

18. jacks64 macrumors member

jacks64

Because i tend to get bored after a year.

19. Mactendo, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019

Mactendo macrumors 68000

The innovation is happening in slo-mo :D

20. zubikov macrumors member

So to summarize:

Gain: another lens, front camera, 120hz touch screen, longer battery life, USB-C, better haptic feedback, faster chip
    Lose: force touch

Can't see many Xs users jumping on this.

21. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

Amen. Makes me sick. Remember when Steve Jobs hawked the Mac as a toy for narcissists?

[​IMG]

22. Harthag macrumors 6502a

Doubt it will make that much difference?

It's a very reasonable request considering this is Apple, the competition, and the price of the XR. Just my opinion. Not saying it's the right opinion.

23. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502a

Apple is the industry.

The slowdown at Apple is 100% artificial. They have entered a new phase of stretching out updates and product features and milking everything for what it is worth...while raising prices. They are pushing the envelope, trying to feel out what the limits of this strategy are. This is well known, and was exposed for what it is when they failed miserably last year by missing their Q4 guidance by billions of dollars on the belief that their nothing-update to iPhone in 2018 was going to go over the same as every past update.

You forget that for nearly 10 years Apple updated iPhone every year with dramatically new models. Even S models were dramatically new in terms of feature, performance and overall device.

I'm tired of seeing people say "Oh yea the product is maturing so its slowing down". That's utter nonsense. Just because casual observers have no other ideas, doesn't mean industry experts aren't still brimming over with plans and ideas for iPhone.

The fact (problem) is that Tim Cook doesn't see innovation as a "reason" in and of itself, unlike some people who used to run Apple. Since innovation doesn't automatically mean x amount of new dollars, Tim has put a stranglehold on it and instead is approving only modest updates...and of course, continuous price increases.

There are warring factions at Apple, with plenty of people still wanting to run the company the way it was run in the 2000's, which is what led to Apple's unprecedented growth. But you can see these people jumping ship constantly, as we frequently hear about Apple executives leaving for other companies.

Until Tim Cook is replaced by someone who is most interested in products instead of the number of days of inventory in the supply chain, we're going to continue to see a divided and confused Apple.

24. MacLoveMacHate macrumors regular

MacLoveMacHate

Yeah, redesigning every third year means consumers wait to buy every third year.

25. cardfan macrumors 68000

Yep. Instead combine all the rumors and come to a reasonable conclusion. And of course that is...wait til 2020.

That doesn’t even make 2019 iPhones disappointing. It sort of just makes them irrelevant.