Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
thermal imaging would get me to upgrade

otherwise why would i want to lose the touch ID and headphone jack and higher PPI of my 6s+?

all these years later and still no worthy upgrade from my 6s+

only downgrades

sigh

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I wonder if AW5 muted finishes mean no stainless steel options at all.

Replaced by different titanium brushed matte finish? This would certainly look premium to the aluminum models.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
The 2019 iPhones will also remove the silent switch and volume buttons in favour of fixed sealed seamless haptic buttons for improved water resistance.

This is a certain feature and can be see with iOS 13 and Apple's decision to display 'silent mode on' and 'silent mode off' and the volume bar right next to the current buttons.

This would be really cool.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
"Shatter resistance" . Don't they say that each new model has "harder glass" until it is out, someone drops it and it shatters just like the older models?

My favorite is announcements in glass technology that makes it harder and harder to scratch. After 6 months I see fine scratches where my finger swipes up on the display.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
My only concern is if the modems will still be intel based. I’m sick of the service problems I’ve had in the iPhone since they went with Intel the last few generations.

Reactions: tomaszk

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
Keen to upgrade my 7 finally!
Everyone seems to think the upgrades this year won’t be worth it but I guarantee they’ll be heaps better than comparing the X to Xs...
Hopefully won’t have wifi/cell issues like the Xs either, which is part of why I held off from upgrading

Reactions: compwiz1202

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Good, because current iPhones have zero water resistance unless brand new, just out of the box.
No they dont. My XS already had water in it, after submerging only the camera part under water.
[doublepost=1566481340][/doublepost]
  • The main feature of the Pro iPhones will be a new camera system on the back with a third sensor for capturing ultra-wide-angle photos and videos. The extra camera will let users zoom out and capture a larger field of view. The sensors will capture three images simultaneously and use new artificial intelligence software to automatically correct the combined photo if, for example, a person is accidentally cut out of one of the shots. The new system will also take higher resolution pictures rivaling some traditional cameras. Photos taken in very low-light environments will improve, too.
  • The iPhone XR’s successor will gain a second back camera for optical zoom, the ability to zoom in further without degrading quality, and enhanced portrait mode. Apple is also adding a new green version.
So if I read this right, the iPhone's equivalent to the Pixel's Night Sight is only available on the Pro and Pro Max.

Le Sigh. Even the budget Pixel 3a has Night Sight. I really hope this isn't one of those differentiating factors between the pro and non-pro phones.
Of course it will be.

oddiecz

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
  • The main feature of the Pro iPhones will be a new camera system on the back with a third sensor for capturing ultra-wide-angle photos and videos. The extra camera will let users zoom out and capture a larger field of view. The sensors will capture three images simultaneously and use new artificial intelligence software to automatically correct the combined photo if, for example, a person is accidentally cut out of one of the shots. The new system will also take higher resolution pictures rivaling some traditional cameras. Photos taken in very low-light environments will improve, too.
  • The iPhone XR’s successor will gain a second back camera for optical zoom, the ability to zoom in further without degrading quality, and enhanced portrait mode. Apple is also adding a new green version.
So if I read this right, the iPhone's equivalent to the Pixel's Night Sight is only available on the Pro and Pro Max.

Le Sigh. Even the budget Pixel 3a has Night Sight. I really hope this isn't one of those differentiating factors between the pro and non-pro phones.

I think we don't know.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
How about FaceID working with a bed head or when laying in bed?

That's a tough one to solve without weakening Face ID security even more as gravity changes the shape of your face depending on position (standing upright vs laying down). That's why Face ID is inferior to Iris and fingerprint.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
I'm all about this year's iPhone, if I'm honest. At this point, it's just another thin rectangle design-wise (really, how much can they change it next year, maybe a smaller FaceId notch?) but the proposed internal "guts" changes are pretty exciting.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Mine does too but still, we're talking about even a wider range, which is always useful. You wouldn't have to lean as much to unlock it. Maybe they will also introduce the feature to unlock it in any position, just like the new iPad Pro.

I don't care about the "using it when flat on a table" part, but being able to use it in landscape like the iPad would be great. Just yesterday I needed to log into a game in landscape but when you try to fill the password in 1Password has to have the phone in portrait to use Face ID. Then the keyboard was in the way when I wanted to verify the fields were filled in correctly. Super clunky.

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC
Bring back the iPhone 7 matte black. My wife still uses the 7 plus and I love getting a peek under the case occasionally.

Reactions: HappyIntro

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I hope they release the new airpods this year and hopefully sooner rather than later. My 2+ year old airpod batteries are really starting to wither. I don't get more than 40 mins on a call and a couple of hours max on a movie or music.

slightly better sound and noise cancellation would be awesome. I'd get the Beats Pro as they seem to hit all the sweet spots for me except the dealbreaker is those ear clip thingies. I just can't imagine them being convenient to take on and off a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.