2019 iPhones Said to Keep Lightning Connector With Same Old 5W Charger and EarPods in Box

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:34 AM.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Think more rumours are saying it has it as it hasn’t so we will see

2. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I agree, I have learned to temper my expectations with Apple and i don't expect much from them, that way I can avoid disappointment... I was genuinely wondering if one source was better than the other or if you had additional info.

3. neomorpheus macrumors regular

Its official, Cook and Jony are just straight up a**holes....

No other way to justify or explain this.

Buy an already overpriced MBP and toy phone and right away, you need to also buy a better charger and a damned dongle to connect both?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM ---
    Because, even today, somethings can only be done when you use iTunes. Like placing personal movie or something similar into your beautiful locked down IOS device.

4. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

In addition to calling it iPhone 11/11 Max, they’ll probably reduce the size of the notch slightly and change the placement of the camera to visually differentiate it from the X/Xs/Xs Max/Xr/Xr s.

5. apfelmann macrumors 6502

A promise for a Highlander!

6. TinyMammal macrumors newbie

I wish I could "like" this post a thousand times.

7. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Do you people not yet realise that you are a minority of a minority here? Your needs and wants are not necessarily representative of the needs of Apple’s user base in general.

8. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

The only way USB-C becomes a thing is if these companies start rolling it out on a grand scale. Theres going to be a switch. Why not just rip the band-aid off and do it already?

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Why is this presented as a story of some sort? It’s literally just a guess. Same as anyone around here can do. Must be a slow news day.

10. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

At this point if a device does not have usb-c especially a mobile one...its a no buy for me and many others.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:47 PM ---
    They will tell their customers to go buy the no where to be found AirPower charging pad for $150 bucks or more.

11. kyykesko macrumors 6502

kyykesko

Most people are forced to charge them overnight because the battery drains halfway through the day. The faster charger would help us top up the battery again quick during the work day _when_ it gets too low. Of course, a much better solution would be a battery that actually survived a full work day but I'm sure they'll just have courage to make the battery even smaller like they love to do.

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

The Xs max does easily last a full day

13. boodle macrumors regular

boodle

2018 was the last viable year for Lighting and even that was a stretch.
    Lack of USB-C will have significant negative impact on sales of the 2019 iPhone models.

14. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

And yet, if I had to go out and find a USB-C cable at 2AM, I'd probably only find micro-USB, or Lightning cables.

15. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I dunno. I only sync by wire.

My point was just that if you're going to exhume the tired corpse of Steve Jobs to make your point, you should make sure you know what his position was and not just assume Zombie Steve agrees with you...

16. bunce66 macrumors member

There are many times when just about everyone needs to charge during the day, and wouldn't it be great for it to be done 30% faster?
    You're totally right that people can choose not to buy the iPhone....as more and more are doing as they realize they're being constantly nickeled and dimed over tiny things. I guess you're cool with Apple being less mainstream and more of a luxury item for people who don't know any better.

Your argument would maybe kinda make sense if they didn't over-charge for the higher wattage chargers. Look what other manufacturers are providing and tell me Apple isn't being stingy. They is clearly taking advantage of the fact that 95% of people are unaware that for a miniscule difference in cost Apple could provide them something better.

By this point, so many people are fed up with over-priced $50 dongles and removal of features...and Apple keeps doubling down, while people like you cheer them on to save a tiny amount of cash to add to their hundreds of billions, rather than provide what the standard for other companies.

17. Gashole macrumors newbie

I don't think you understand my post. The pins on the lightning cable literally fall out over time because they are exposed and left unprotected. Once they're out, the cable is useless and has to be replaced. USB-C encloses the bare pins.

18. Baymowe335 Suspended

Where is your data that shows people are switching away? Apple has sold the same number of iPhones 3 years in a row, actually a million more each year. They also increased active devices from 1.3B to 1.4B in 12 months. That’s 100M MORE devices than a year ago. Seems people continue to buy Apple.

They just reported lower than expected sales, but the shortfall was primarily China and its not like people are switching away. They are simply holding on to their iPhone longer.

In the US, Apple set revenue records along with many other countries like Mexico, Canada, Italy, Germany, Korea, Vietnam, Netherlands, and others.

If China were not such an issue, Apple would have yet again set records. Yes, China was bad, but many companies blamed China for less than stellar numbers. Don’t start acting like Apple’s results are all bad. The numbers are still insane.

19. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Keeping my XS for at least 3 years or until it gets slowed down by Apple :)

20. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

So does my 7 plus, now I did get my battery changed under this offer last November but even then my phone would last a day.

21. ksec macrumors 6502a

I really misunderstood, do you have any pics? Never seen one.

I guess this is a compromise in design, with USB-C you get the pins protected, but you have the "tongue" inside the phone, breaking the tongue means extremely costly repair, compared to lightning which is replacing the cable. I still like the lightning design much more than USB-C.

22. dilbert99 macrumors 68000

Apples not so green credentials, not putting the chargers that people want in the box.

23. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

I don’t think you guys read correctly. There’s a “S” upgrade every two years. 2020 would be the iPhone XI S, which would be the next “S” upgrade year.

24. chrfr macrumors 604

But you said that the 2019 phone would be an S.

25. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Do you know what chargers people want? (not what a few forum posters on an anonymous internet forum want) It may be fair to say, the 5w isn't what you want and you throw it away, but I would like a bigger charger, but I use the 5w anyway.

Have to separate that.