2019 iPhones Said to Keep Lightning Connector With Same Old 5W Charger and EarPods in Box

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019.

1. CostaMoses macrumors member

If this article proves true, it looks like I'll hold onto my iPhone 7 for at least another year.

2. BlargKing macrumors 6502

BlargKing

Meanwhile my 450$ Blackberry came with a type-c fast charger...

3. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave knowing that you're still trying to connect your iOS device to your Mac at all. His last WWDC keynote made it clear he wanted you to stop using wires.

PC Free was a major feature of iOS 5, and iCloud was the keynote pitch Jobs made as their "next big insight".

Why do you hate Steve? Let the man rest in peace and do exactly what he would have wanted: stop using wires. It was his dying wish...

4. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

So you are a power user :)

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

How did you come to the conclusion that this rumor is any more valid than and debunks the previous one?

6. JTBing macrumors regular

When apple moves to USB-C, everyone complains. When they don't move to USB-C, everyone complains.

7. apolloa macrumors G4

So it’ll be no really change, same pathetic charger in the box, oh maybe they’ll follow what everybody else is doing and stick another lens on the back. And they’ll keep the pricing at the same stupid levels, sales will only fall further.
    And they can’t get away with deliberately slowing phones down so much now either..

8. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

If sales continue to slump it will have absolutely nothing to do with this. What most folks here fail to realize is that the number of techie nerds who care about fast charging is very miniscule compared to the number of people who couldn't care less what type of charger comes in the box..... Most people don't know and don't care and Apple knows this.. They don't make decisions based on a few nerds complaining online. They know that no matter how much they complain, they can't help themselves and most want the latest and greatest... I've seen this happening for years here on MR, the same users that spend all year complaining are the first ones making "I just ordered my phone" threads. Don't let the drama queens here fool you.

Now the rising prices on the other hand... That is something that will get the attention of the general public.... Everyone cares about the price they are paying for something.

9. Nanotyrns macrumors 65816

Nanotyrns

Hey just seeing this.

So... how angry are we? Has a macrumors server burst into flames yet?

"cost-saving measure" = "keeping final price down"

Nothing in that box is free, including the box. It's all in the final price. You even paid for that cool Apple sticker. They might practically give away HomePods as a hook for Apple Music subs but an 18-watt adapter is not a hook for anything. Not including it will slow sales by probably zero percent and with the enormous hit sales took this year due to pricing they are not about to jack the price up at all if they don't have to.

I wouldn't be surprised though if there is a lot of discussion around pricing right now. I firmly believe they were gobsmacked by the slowed sales of all the iPhone models this year and probably didn't think at first it had anything to do with price but learned very quickly that it price had a lot to do with it.

10. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

I would be kind of surprised given that the new iPad Pros switched to USB-C. If the new regular iPads have it too, that would be a pretty strong indication that the next iPhones would as well. We'll see...

11. Nipommu macrumors regular

Do you guys not have beds

12. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

13. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

They definitely should just make the switch to USB-C. From a consumer standpoint it is a no brainer. Make it nice and easy on everyone and just go full USB-C across the board. Absolutely need to ditch the 5W brick and start packing iPhones with the proper cords to work with their computer lineup.

14. ghanwani macrumors 65816

I am interested in this. Do you have data that supports this statement for iPhones?

15. WinterWolf90 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 8 and it looks like I will keep it for at least 3-4 years with the way things are going.

16. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

5W (small square) = made for previous phones.
    12W (large square) = made for previous iPads. (can quick charge phones)
    18W (new rectangle) = quick charging for new phones and iPads.

17. otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

Not even USB-C to lightning as default? Wow. Stay cheap, Tim.

18. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

I get a kick out all of the crabbing in these forums. There was endless bitching and moaning when Apple dumped the crapola 30 pin connector. The Lightning plug is much better in design, but fragile. The best Lightning cables are from Anker, their chargers rule. If the USB “C” comes along I’ll switch to it. My radio shack is full of connectors one more will not even be noticed.

19. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Hardly. The entire world is based on USB-A. Switching to a USB-C for an iPhone would increase the number of adapters and dongles, and special cable consumers would have to carry with them everywhere. iOS have almost a billion customers worldwide actively using Lightning. That would also be a major pain to switch them all to USB-C, if only because USB-C is not widely available to most. Wireless is the way to go here. By the time Qi becomes wide spread, Apple will be able to drop the port altogether, or at least move to something like the SmartConnector as an optional backup for the rare times people need to physically connect their phones physically.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

While I agree that wires should not be the ideal solution or a day-to-day use case, isn't iTunes necessary for some Diagnosis and Recovery cases? Isn't it necessary for some synch cases?

21. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

I doubt when Apple eliminates the Lightning port that they would not replace it with something else. But there's no need to prematurely switch it to something now, when most iPhone users don't use the port for anything more than charging. Those that synch, mostly do it via iCloud, and it's the minority are plugging it into iTunes, or setting it up for WiFi synch. But that's a one-time, or rare thing, even for those who do it -- not necessarily something Apple needs to worry about.

I suspect Apple will replace Lightning with something like the SmartConnector for those rare occasions when someone needs a physical connector, and/or change the way synching with iTunes works. But USB-C is definitely not needed, and soon, nor will Lightning.

22. rockarollr, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

rockarollr macrumors regular

rockarollr

No, I mean 2018 iPhones aren’t selling well... EVERYWHERE... especially here in the United States. I don’t know ONE SINGLE PERSON that owns a 2018 model iPhone (Xs,Xr, Xs Max). Yet I know many people that upgraded in 2016 or 2017 to an iPhone 7, 8 or X.

The proof is in the pudding all around me - DAILY. As far as I’m concerned, I need no other proof to back up my statement. If they were selling well, I would see them all around me as I did in all previous years. Also, if you think lack of USB-C or a fast charger won’t impact sales... just cruise this forum for a few minutes and you’ll see plenty of people saying they refuse to upgrade if Apple doesn’t include them both in the box this year. I’m sure they represent a much larger group of people, outside of these forums, that feel the exact same way.

You Apple apologists, with your contrary BS, just kill me sometimes. SMMFH

23. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

How often have you felt thoroughly surprised by an awesome move by Apple, specifically where you thought they really went all out and gave you more hardware-wise than what you expected, making it a great deal at the price you paid?

How often have you felt probably indifferent by the continued incremental upgrades from Apple, specifically when you thought they could’ve given something more hardware-wise than what you’ve been used to, making it less of a deal at the price you paid?

24. juiz206 macrumors member

Guess I'll wait 1 more year then. (2020)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 ---
    I have a 6 that works iOS 12 just fine. I was waiting the notch to get smaller. I don't like the new designs.

25. Jamers99 macrumors regular

Jamers99