2019 iPhone's Triple-Lens Rear Camera Design Allegedly Showing in New Renderings

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2019.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Lowering the price would hurt margins and Tim knows this and won't do it. The iPhone brand is strong enough to sell at higher prices with only slight impact on overall sales numbers. I think a small price increase with the addition of more features like a triple camera set-up would help boost Apple's bottom line even if sales have slowed a little. I'm not a huge Tim Cook fan because I feel he lacks vision, but I will give him credit for knowing how to get the most profit out of a very strong brand name.

2. Jamers99 macrumors member

Jamers99

So is the 3rd lens for a 3x zoom? Not sure I'd really care much for more zoom.

3. that be me macrumors 6502

To those complaining about the camera bump: how do you use your phone where it becomes an issue? When I need to type something I'll typically have the phone in my hand.

4. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Ah, the strategy for incumbent industries IBM/Xerox/GE/HP.... despised by Steve for repeating common ground

5. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

As godawful as this design is.....if Apple approves it we’ll just accept it and life will move on just like all the other times we thought something was too ugly to be true.

I remember when I said there was no way I was going to buy an iPhone X with the pill shaped camera and what do you know.....

6. BGarza macrumors member

BGarza

Any configuration using horizontal real estate at the top is fine by me. If they move a lens farther down vertically, killing the ability to use a “wallet card case” ... I’ll revolt.

Seriously, keeping the smallest form factor is the only desire discussed by me, my wife, my Mom & Dad, and my coworkers. Am I alone here?? The latest X and XS are off too big for pockets, are off-balance for one handed use, and have button configurations too far away for one handed use. I have huge hands, and this is a concern.

7. anson42 macrumors 6502

Uh, aren't Huawei phones Android devices, too? They happen to have their own enhancements to the OS but Android it still is. And, boy, are they (and other Chinese phone makers) ever giving Samsung the boot out of China. This forum likes to compare with Samsung phones because they are sold in the US, but if Huawei phones were actually available here, they'd give Samsung (and Apple) some very, very heavy competition here, too. The US gov't believes Huawei phones to be a security risk – and maybe they are, who knows for sure? – but if I were Samsung and Apple I would be very happy they are not being sold here yet.

8. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Probably because when it comes to triple lens smartphones, Huawei are the market leaders :)

9. Stefanreals macrumors newbie

Stefanreals

If Apple does this, Steve is gonna come back from the grave and slap Jony himself.

10. cocoua macrumors regular

cocoua

f***k this is just what Apple stock needed right now!!!

11. Alienzed macrumors newbie

Alienzed

Pls Apple, stop this madness, just give us better battery life, those bumps and notches look stupid and it's NOT thin if there's a bump. The thickest point is how thin it is.

12. apolloa macrumors G4

See your already defending a God awful ugly design, and yes people will care about it, look how much flack the Pixel notch got, many on here moaned like nothing about the Pixel notch. This iPhone design is just horrid.

And also Google and Apple with its XR have proved you don’t need a multitude of lenses making your phone look like a confused spider to take great photos!

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

It is ugly but if it helps create incredible photos people will simply put up with it.

People here would moan regardless how it looks that’s how things are on here. It looks like an apple watch face on back of the iPhone but as I said if it does look like this then people will simply get used to it if it does the job it’s there for certainly when cases I’m sure will make it seem flush anyway

14. bruno7 macrumors member

I guess I'll skip this year's model.

I'll wait for the one with 17 cameras, 8 microphones and 6 flashes - all of these arranged into the first letter of my name.

And I don't mind paying 4786 bucks for that.

But the bump must be at least the same thickness as the phone itself otherwise I'm not buying!

15. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

rumor has it, it'll have 8 microphones and 2 microwaves.

16. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

LOL.

My single lens camera on my iphone 8 is more than suitable for my on-the-go photographic needs. I am a professional photographer, so I'm not just talking out my rear.

I do realize that two of the lenses are helpful for AR/VR uses, but it's still comical.

17. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

You are in the 1%

18. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

the bump lifts the back side off from the table which is the cause of the scraches on my iphone 5.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2019 ---
    i rather not use a case.

19. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Sure, remember how we were all dismissing these renders too when they first appeared? And then... Unknown.jpeg

20. matteuk macrumors member

I'm sorry these are terrible ideas, and probably the reason you don't work at Apple.

21. msama macrumors member

This is apple's response to everyone that's saying they aren't innovating any more. You want to see lack of innovation, we'll show you lack of innovation.

22. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

And an even bigger lack of aesthetic value.

I remember when Apple products weren't about the spec but awesome craftsmanship and (positively) surprising industrial designs.

23. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

Definitely... um, odd.

Scary part is, if Apple does introduce this, other companies will copy it only validating the ... um, odd design. Then everyone will say how they don’t even notice it or it’s a non-issue.

24. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

If a few millimeters of thickness is the make or break for pocket capacity, them pants be too tight. :p

25. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

I think it's only a bad idea if you think Apple can continue to keep iPhone prices up. If they are truly going to become a service company they need to push huge amounts of phones. In the USA the price might be okay but elsewhere it is completely out of line. Battery life is one of the biggest things people make their purchase on. Price is also a big factor.

But I guess you are right and that's obviously the reason that you work at Apple.