24'' LED Cinema and In-Ear Headphones Shipping Soon?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple may be finally preparing to ship both the new In-Ear headphones and new 24" LED Cinema Displays to customers. Apple pre-announced the products at their September and October media events, respectively.

According to sources, Apple has just today end-of-life'd the old Apple 23" Cinema Display and old In-Ear headphones. This means that Apple will no longer be supplying these products to resellers. This is generally considered a sign that the new products will be shipping soon.

Apple describes the new In-Ear headphones as being "engineered for superior acoustic accuracy, balance, and clarity" and were originally promised in October. Meanwhile, the 24" Cinema Display uses an LED screen for the first time, and incorporates the new Mini Displayport found on the new Apple notebooks.

Article Link: 24'' LED Cinema and In-Ear Headphones Shipping Soon?

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
I still wonder what Mac Pro users will do if they want a 23-24 inch display. Will there be an adapter? Will there be new cinema displays for non-notebooks?

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Yep, I can't seem to see the 23" on the uk apple store at all...

@ twoodcc below: Or want a matte screen! I think the new ACD will be glossy...

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Where Apple have slipped up it comes with a Mini Display Port socket, not a full sized Display Port found on normal displays. I don't think the Mini Display Port socket is standardised, therefore locking in consumers to Apple's propriety socket. Apple need to now make D-Sub15/DVI/HDMI/Display Port to Mini Display Port adapters. I hope it supports sound via HDMI socket converter, as the sound for the display comes from the Mini Diplay Port socket, and maybe HDCP for compatibility which will be required to play Bluray content.

I also fear the 24 inch screen will have the same LCD display as the 24inch iMac, if so, it will be a huge regression in quality from the previous 23inch display. People moaned about the Alu 24inch iMac before as it has 98% less colours than the older 20 and white 24 inch, and a class action lawsuit because it has to use dithering. Anyone like to comment?

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I think Apple is going to release cord sets for the new display. Pop out the laptop one and plug in one that has a DVI connection instead of a Display Port.

LaJaca

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Near Seattle
$$$

Anyone else notice the new headphones go for 79 bones? They'd better be pretty darn good for that price.

Personally, no thanks, Apple.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Every time I go into a restaurant or bar or mall I see displays everywhere. Apple really should make a series of retail displays that offer features similar to the existing display but far larger. Price is a minimal object, simplicity of install and connection is critical.

Then offer one with a Mac-Mini/Air in there.

Rocketman

LuckyLyons

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
From what I understand, the new Cinema Displays will NOT work with current Mac Pros, even if you have the adapter. The hardware in the current Mac Pros don't support the signal that is sent or received by the new display. So you'll have to wait until January when they release the new Mac Pros to get the new cinema display!!

Does anyone know if the new headphones support phone calls with the iPhone? It seems like there wouldn't be a problem, but sometimes Apple does stupid crap... (like recess a headphone jack) :rolleyes:

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Brampton, ON
I hope the eol'd 23" ACD will be reborn at MWSF 09 along with the a revised matte 20" and 30" ACD.

If these displays go glossy as well, I can see masses of unhappy people venting their rage.

avkills

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2002
I think Apple is going to release cord sets for the new display. Pop out the laptop one and plug in one that has a DVI connection instead of a Display Port.
They better because they have adopted Display Port way too soon in my opinion.

-mark

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
I also fear the 24 inch screen will have the same display as the 24inch iMac, if so, it will be a huge regression in quality from the previous 23inch display. Anyone like to comment?
Yeah, the 23" ADC was an HD screen, the 24" LED is not HD?! Is this right?

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Anyone else notice the new headphones go for 79 bones? They'd better be pretty darn good for that price.

Personally, no thanks, Apple.
For another $20, you can get the Bose In-Ear Headphone with different replaceable tips to match the size of your ear. Bose is a clear leader in this field at this price-point. I have to wonder sometimes what Apple is thinking when it decides on new products (and what to charge for them).

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I would have thought they need to bring out a matte option for these new displays. The bevel also appears larger, so they won't tesselate as well for multi-display setups. If anything, until the new LED 24" was released, I was expecting the next gen displays to have a much reduced bevel width...

Seems that for every forward step (LED backlight, Magsafe adapter) Apple is going backwards (no firewire hub, no matte option, larger bevel)

...it certainly frustrates me as a longtime MacOS user.

Heck, they even quietly removed the embedded number pad from the last two gen of MacBook Pro's - quite frustrating if you were used to having it - and by getting rid of it, what did Apple achieve?

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Whoa, EOL the 23 does not sound cool. No, no bueno. I thought the 24 was Laptop only, so for MP you have a 20 or a 30, or, too much money anyway you look at it. :(

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Where Apple have slipped up it comes with a Mini Display Port socket, not a full sized Display Port found on normal displays. I don't think the Mini Display Port socket is standardised, therefore locking in consumers to Apple's propriety socket.
Again.

This has happened before with the ADC connector on the first generation of cinema displays. Everyone complained about the proprietary adaptor. Apple sold an ADC<->VGA converter. Everyone complained it was just a cash grab. Then Apple released the current generation of displays and made a big deal about "we use the industry standard port now! No more converter!"

And now we've come full circle.

Smacks of arrogance, plain and simple. They've always wanted to lock you into proprietary connectors, and force you to pay extra for converters (if they're even available -- so far, no news of one for this display). Perhaps with ADC, sales and market share were too poor so Apple was forced to play nice. But now with marketshare on the rise again, they see this as an opportunity to show their true colors.

Not impressed, Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.