Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
Good advice on testing before putting under a tree. I'm getting my wife a laptop and I'll be making sure it's set up and ready for her to use when she opens it up. She's not a techie by any stretch. I just want to make sure all is well.

Key point to the article above, "It's not universal".

lca355

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2009
I wonder how that is happening, cracked class at the bottom of the screen. you think one of the robots on the line is going a little haywire?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
My money is on the packaging not being suitable enough for the size of the new 27" iMacs.

Probably not good enough any more to stand up to the rigors of FedEx's highly trained employees...

But seriously, the widescreen probably allows it to be twisted and turned a bit more. As far as I've seen Apple's packaging is the same on the 27" as it has been on all the recent iMacs (aside from the positioning of the accessory box), which probably isn't a good thing.

usc2k

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2004
Barcelona, Spain
Bring back production to the US

Apple needs to bring back production to the US and drop this Chinese manufacturing nonsense. It might mean higher prices, but the quality control was much better when Macs were made in California.

jameskohn

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Connecticut
mine is perfect

I ordered my i7 the day they were announced, so I was among the first to receive one. The machine is perfect; an absolute joy in every way.

I know how upset I would be if I received a defective machine, and I'd be posting all over these boards out of frustration. I would guess then, that for each complaint posted that there are hundreds of "good" i7's out there.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
soooooo disappointed in **MACRUMORS**!!!!!!

For weeks hundreds of folks on the MacRumors forums and hundreds more on Apple.com (with 60,000+ page views) have been reporting DOA 27 inch iMacs and video issues with flickering screens and blackouts. We have begged MacRumors to report it and ... nothing.

Now this morning Engadget reports on problems, followed instantly by Appleinsider and finally MacRumors carbon copies the news and posts it.

MacRumors needs the courage to report signifcant news to Mac users not after the other sites step up to the plate but as a leader.

:mad::apple:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Pretty shocking stuff...

Though is the size and weight of this thing being shipped what is causing any issues?

Maybe 27" is touching the boundaries on a shippable AIO product ;)

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
If Apple would quit pandering to the Hippies and Al Gore, then maybe their computers would actually be shipped in a box that protected its contents.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Apple needs to bring back production to the US and drop this Chinese manufacturing nonsense. It might mean higher prices, but the quality control was much better when Macs were made in California.

I agree with that, Apple should be making products in the US whenever they can. I am sure they can afford it, Apple is in an envious financial position.

My i7 arrives December 4th, and I really hope it's not DOA. If it is, I hope Apple is willing to throw some additional RAM in there for me. I waited over a month to order mine, so hopefully these problems have been worked out by now.

My remote shipped last night, from Shanghai. It has to come clear around the world to get to my front door.

That seems excessive, when it could have been made just a state away.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

Or just move it across the border to Mexico where Apple has easier oversight access.

Bonus: I read somewhere that Mexico is now officially a cheaper manufacturing source than China.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Birthing pains of a new line? That is one big panel of glass, but it looks pretty sturdy. It must have taken a hard knock to get a crack in it.

I feel sorry for the people who open up their new iMacs and have this problem. Opening a new mac is such a great experience, it would suck to not even have it turn on.

Those Macs a freakin amazing - I keep rethinking my Mac Pro purchase this April! But, at least I get a new gfx card when the new MP's come out!

fergwad

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Another typical "who can make the most outrageous assertion/conclusion with the least amount of real data/facts in front of them" thread.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
How did this get 3 positives??

Perhaps a Droid came in contact with the Allspark and invaded Apple's plant.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Apple needs to bring back production to the US and drop this Chinese manufacturing nonsense.

These days the Chinese are perfectly capable of making quality products. My Chinese umbrella that I bought in Shanghai is holding up very nicely indeed.

BJEast75

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
Yep probably a small % of them but either way sounds like a prob in the packing or assembly line. They'll sort it v quickly as the serials of all the affected machines will match everything in the chain that touched them (robots, people, packers etc).

BJE:cool:

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Hmm, guess it's not easy to ship a 27" piece of glass. I had a Core Duo iMac (17") display damaged by the shipping company when I sold it: probably fell on a corner and the display (matte LCD) had an ugly white kink in it.

I blame it on the shipping company. The not-powering-on issue however, that's bad. That's supposed to happen right after warranty runs out on Rev A Macs... :rolleyes:

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
the only thing that gets me is the whole apple mentality.. apple is suppose to be a premium, higher end, computer. If I am going to be spending 5-600 more for an apple product vs a pc which has the same exact components, i would expect the 5-600 dollars to be VALUE added, not just the price of the apple logo.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
First: What is DOA???

Anyway, the cracked screens and the inability to boot most probably means that the machines were exposed to mechanical shock, maybe during transport. I'm sure they don't come out of the factory with broken screens, that's instantly visible to anyone. What would make sense is that maybe the truck driver ran over some huge bump or whatever...

ibwb

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
Slow news day much?

I can guarantee you that some percentage of every single computer model ever have arrived DOA. Nobody outside the manufacturer ever has any idea of what that percentage is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.