2GB RAM, Apple takes us for granted?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marine0816, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I remember when Sony was dominate in 90s, then they began making sub standard products and selling it for outrageous prices(Hello LG, Samsung). I feel Apple, the 290 billion dollar company is following that playbook.. I mean 2GB of ram on an iPad PRO?, no touch screen on Macs? What is going on? How much money are they really saving from 2gb to 4gb? They're still selling 16gb iPhones... I will probably still buy the iPad Pro 9.7, but do I still have to worry about page refreshes in 2016?

2. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Yes I was thinking Apple takes us for granted more for price. £100 for processor bumps and cameras which for iOS never bump price up.

They always premium bump memory but the Air 2 64gb cost £479 the 32gb costs £20 more. This is crazy.

No entry price and cheap iPhones are saying if you have £400 to spend buy an old Apple product. Surely £400 is enough premium but they have sneeked up the price. If they drop the numbering for iPhones as rumoured and it's a pro and not a 7 I fear the retail price will be £600.

When Apple iPad sales have slowed how can £500 entry price encourage sales? No way will non Apple people pay this price. This could be the lowest sales iPad to date. I've hardly ever seen anybody with iPad pro outside other than in an Apple Store so I guess the same "above" premium pricing is putting people off.

iOS is closing into Mac book pricing which for many will be unaffordable. They can only squeeze people so much I genuinely don't see how a 9.7 inch iPad Air 3 basically is worth £100 more.

Disgusting pricing.

3. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

To answer your OP, YES. They definitely take people for granted. I'm a huge Apple fanboy but even I can admit 2gb of ram for a "pro" device they're charging more for is a bunch of BS. That extra ram was in the iPad Pro 12.9 for a reason: To push development of professional grade apps. Now how is less ram going to help that mission? It won't. And I'm disappointed.

But then again, why SHOULDN'T they take people for granted. Look at this

Nobody is going to boycott Apple over this. People despite being disappointed will buy it. It's the great "do these pros outweigh these cons" scenario. For pretty much everybody, the pros will. Apple is smart and knows what they can get away with. They're here to make money first and foremost. I don't believe they're an evil company, in fact I believe they behave ethically in a lot of areas that make me respect them, but there are a few small things you look at and just kinda scratch your head

4. tann macrumors 68000

Completely agree!! Not to mention the 64gb Air 2 was £479, the new 32gb Pro is £499, and the jump to 128gb is a whopping £120! I was expecting £479 and £599. £620 for a 128gb, sub standard pro has pushed it too far.

5. Check 6 macrumors regular

Where are you seeing 2 gb of RAM. I read that the 9.7 has 4GB just like the larger iPad Pro ?

6. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

7. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I really wish android stepped their game up with their tablets.. This is why Apple is getting away with this

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

They don't take us for granted. Their business model has never revolved around giving us the best specs and hardware. They've always been about giving you a pleasurable experience.

9. gadget123 macrumors 68000

When iPad sales are sluggish people won't boycott as such they will snub the £499 price tag for a device which is a tiny bit better than the air. Trust me day to day who takes photos with a iPad or uses a pencil? Apple have gave people more reasons to hold onto old iPads due to lack of innovation.

10. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

But...but...if people hold onto their iPads for too long it's "sad" isn't it? I don't wanna make anyone sad, although I'm planning on holding out with my iPad Pro at least until the iPad Pro 3 or 4. Although I'm sure by then it'll be called something different

11. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Yet the camera price and processor has seen the SE come in cheaper than the 5c which used last years processors. Somebody really has to question Apple on this.

They have been known to premium price memory but never internals. How can SE internals see a price drop and Pro a £100 increase somebody explain?

With no Force touch here, no new lighting jack to remove headphones and no 4K I seriously think people should stay clear off this and wait for a real pro iPad and I believe that will be in October when they refresh the large Pro.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2016 ---
    But if they release an iPad pro 2 in October people will sell six month old tablets like the iPad 3-4 fiasco. I kept my iPad 3 and boycotted the 4 and enjoyed the Air 1 and 2 since then.

12. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I highly doubt an iPP 2 later this year in Oct.

13. gadget123 macrumors 68000

But if they replace it with a mini 5 and pro larger one the 9.7 would sit out dated until March 2017. If they skip the update the larger iPads and mini one would have a longer cycle than a year like the air 2.

Rumours will no doubt give some indication over the next few months. But if they updated the mini it may eventually have a better round set of features than the 9.7 pro.

14. AliMacs macrumors 6502

It's the other way around. We are taking all this for granted really. There is absolutely ZERO competition over on the other side. At least in tablet form. There is not one single tablet from any manufacturer that stacks up against my IPP. Not even the surface pro 4/surface book but those are more laptop than tablet.

For what I need to do at the moment, there is just no other choice. So is the iPad Pro 9.7" a joke? Hell no. The iPad Air 2 is fast and with an A9X even a bit down clocked is faster than the Air 2. Sure the ram would've been great at 4GB which would ensure longevity but then again that's how Apple makes you buy another iPad next year.

You guys need to know it's a business and yes it sucks but we are all taking this for granted. Imagine having to pay $599 for an android tablet. Dude, you guys have it great!

PS - I don't like the fact Apple has to make the iPad mini nearly 1 generation lagging behind the current iPads. This is their type of strategy and I am against that. I read from another user Apple should really make a BTO iPad. Let the user choose the processor, the RAM. This way I can overpay for an iPad all I want. Rather than have to be forced to pay what Apple sets. But then again this will go against the prime directive at Apple: always make the customer pay more!

15. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I think it's fair to say with all these announcements, Apple is all over the freaking place and the company we used to be able to predict with great accuracy, is doing whatever the heck they want. Logic be damned.

The smaller iPad Pro Could have been announced at the next iPad keynote in the fall. Same with the iPhone se being announced at the next iPhone keynote. While watch bands... Who gives a damn. Just update the store and people will pick up on it. 9.3 didn't even need to be talked about. So logically, this entire keynote seemed pretty damn pointless. If we use logic going forward, we're probably only going to disappoint ourselves

16. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Yes they have been all over the place since the iPad 4 shock came around October. They rushed out a watch and that wasn't even released for months after the event.

An cheap iPhone being as a main event is a new first for Apple too.

17. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I'm actually relieved that the Pro has only 2GB of RAM. Now I don't feel the need to upgrade from my iPad Air 2 at all and I will save hundreds of dollars.

18. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

I agree ; it's all about iPhone 7 or iPhone Pro this autumn. The next 9'7 iPad Pro iteration will most likely launch next spring

19. AliMacs macrumors 6502

Regarding those watch bands - sheesh - nylon??? Dude, TIM COOK is behind that Apple Watch fiasco. It's not that great of a device and I have ZERO interest in buying it. At $299 it's $200 overpriced. But yet they keep pushing and pushing it because that would be major EGG on face for Tim.

20. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Good guy Apple. Comes out with crappy update. Saves you hundreds of dollars

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I don't understand. If it had had 4 GB, would that have somehow diminished the performance of your Air 2?

22. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Yep side by side the YouTube videos nobody can say oh my new iPad is faster than last years. Some will probably try though.

23. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

No? Who said anything about the Air 2's performance being diminished?

24. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Seriously? This is what matters? Being able to say your iPad is faster than the other guy's?

25. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Agree and don't agree. Those bands look like some fisher price you crap that kids would wear on a cheap "pretend watch toy". How could Apple even put this out? I don't know. I haven't tried them in person maybe my opinion will change.

On the Apple Watch: I love mine. Use it everyday. When I leave home if I don't have it on, I feel naked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.