Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kryten3000

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Ecuador (Cotopaxi)
This year, the situation is different: SIM free phones are available on the 2nd week of sales, IUP includes SIM free phones and all phones have Intel modems so just get the SIM free and problem solved.
Source? I have to ask because on the Apple website SIM free was available for preorder. Additionally, I called Apple and they said the IUP is only for those with an existing line of service with Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile.

OcramSagev

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
what you said is correct. There are 5 versions you can buy via IUP: VZW,AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and the SIM free version. All IUP require a post-paid account. The source? Go to the Apple website and place an IUP order

I don’t understand your question/ disagreement. Can you explain ?

OcramSagev

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
oh i got it — you misunderstood me. yes sim-free iphones were available on pre-order day but the estimated delivery date was the 2nd week and the carrier version delivery date was today — i got mine @ 930 am

jtrue28

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Lexington, KY
I don't see anything (yet). I activated last night and my wife activated this morning. We're on the same AT&T account.

AT&T knows we "upgraded" because they have our new phones listed as our devices.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I don't see anything (yet). I activated last night and my wife activated this morning. We're on the same AT&T account.

AT&T knows we "upgraded" because they have our new phones listed as our devices.

I see my Max showing as my device on my account, but it also says that I'm "ready to upgrade". I reviewed my credit card statement, and the charge that I thought might be an upgrade is in fact my recurring monthly iPad data renewal. I called AT&T, and they said that they see no changes to my wireless billing. Maybe taking out the new "upgrade" sim before turning on the device worked. We'll see.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
I see my Max showing as my device on my account, but it also says that I'm "ready to upgrade". I reviewed my credit card statement, and the charge that I thought might be an upgrade is in fact my recurring monthly iPad data renewal. I called AT&T, and they said that they see no changes to my wireless billing. Maybe taking out the new "upgrade" sim before turning on the device worked. We'll see.
ARGGH i should have done this!!

Reactions: Pipper99

Armendegga

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Valdosta, GA

Mine shows the same thing - 2 devices to upgrade. I did not switch the sims though. Just activated them with the sims it came with. Fingers crossed they don’t actually charge me the upgrade fee.

rxtiger

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
I got an email from AT&T showing changes to my upcoming bill. The only difference is the one time $30 activation (x2 phones). These are not always accurate, so I will probably wait until I get the actual bill in a week or two.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Not iUP (did AT&T financing) but I was successful with them on chat today getting a credit for the full $30. It already showed on my monthly statement.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Anyone successfully get Verizon to refund the $30 upgrade fee? Mine already showed up on my next bill.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
T-Mobile has never charged that on an iUP phone.
Isn't this the first year that T-Mobile has been part of the iUP?

However, T-Mobile does charge for SIM cards and that's now up to $25. It's the same upgrade/activation fee.

rdcamero

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Anyone successfully get Verizon to refund the $30 upgrade fee? Mine already showed up on my next bill.
Yes.Mine was charged to my credit card when I upgraded.Chated with an agent yesterday and got a $30 credit applied to my account.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I’ve yet to activate my iPhone, but I show no upgrade fee on my verizon. Even sim swapping won’t work here?

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
I’ve yet to activate my iPhone, but I show no upgrade fee on my verizon. Even sim swapping won’t work here?

I tried to swap sims, but the old one wouldn’t work and ended up having to use the new Apple me that came in that phone. I got charged the upgrade fee

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Every year, I do the same thing ... buy from Apple (last year a Verizon phone, this year a T-mobile), throw away SIM that comes with phone, pop in my ATT sim, turn on new phone... done and done. No fee, no hassle.

A few things:

1) All the phones bought through Apple are unlocked
2) carrier bought phones are locked through some carriers (like ATT)
3) if you buy through apple on IUP, you can still switch carriers anytime because the phone purchase is between you and apple... Carrier not involved.

People switch sims around on phones all the time. I know folks who switch phones with their outfits/activities. There's no fee unless you activate a different SIM.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Isn't this the first year that T-Mobile has been part of the iUP?

However, T-Mobile does charge for SIM cards and that's now up to $25. It's the same upgrade/activation fee.

That's incorrect. I've been with TMO the whole time I've been upgrading on iUP. The phone comes w/ a TMO SIM and I've done both - move old SIM to new phone and call TMO to activate new SIM. No additional cost. If you mean new SIM for new service, well, that's different. Sounds like a legit activation fee.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Every year, I do the same thing ... buy from Apple (last year a Verizon phone, this year a T-mobile), throw away SIM that comes with phone, pop in my ATT sim, turn on new phone... done and done. No fee, no hassle.

A few things:

1) All the phones bought through Apple are unlocked
2) carrier bought phones are locked through some carriers (like ATT)
3) if you buy through apple on IUP, you can still switch carriers anytime because the phone purchase is between you and apple... Carrier not involved.

People switch sims around on phones all the time. I know folks who switch phones with their outfits/activities. There's no fee unless you activate a different SIM.

Others are saying sim swapping is no longer supported to bypass the upgrade fee. But you’re saying you still did this. Did you try sim swapping on the XS?

Rugburn

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I tried swapping sims with the XS. It didn’t work this year. Had to use the new Sim.

Phone purchased through ATT if it matters.

hugecanoli

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
NJ
Got my new XS Max yesterday from Apple. Verizon is my carrier.

A few hours later, and I see the $30 'One Time Charge - Upgrade Fee' on my next bill.

Opened an online chat and within 10 min had it waived. Here's the chat transcript. Hope it helps someone:

Chatted on 09/25/2018 at 13:55:34
XLA4icNEF_biEzzCu37d3yWt08ITZ7XlyKtVGS8f27rE_DDTdxwRPtBirZ4QK6yQ0YfR6sH-erILEdJ6yziG7ABpjz36-cp-XAyjHOCNljsNZgeW7W_UhkOU-LDh=s0-d-e1-ft

Verizon
Thank you for contacting the Verizon Wireless Chat Team regarding your account. How can we help you today?
You
Question regarding my bill next month
Verizon
Certainly!
Verizon
I will review the account and check on your bill.
Verizon
I have your account now. Please tell me what questions you have with the bill?
You
hello...sorry are you there
Verizon
Yes, I am here!
Verizon
How may I help you?
You
I just updated my device yesterday on my own and for the next bill there is a $30 one time 'upgrade fee'. I realize this is a fee for any customer activating a new phone.
You
As a long-time Verizon customer in very good standing I am asking that you remove this fee. I was told by a Verizon Kiosk representative a week ago, that if I contact customer service they would and could remove this charge.
Verizon
We appreciate you upgrading with us.
Verizon
I will review the account and check options to waive the upgrade fee for you.
Verizon
Thanks for waiting.
You
No problem
Verizon
I have thoroughly checked the account and I can see here that we can waive the upgrade fee for you.
Verizon
We will be apply a manual credit of $30 to cover the upgrade fee on the bill.
You
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. So with the credit, the fee will be a wash?
Verizon
Yes, that is absolutely correct!
Verizon
Please bear with me while I process this for you to ensure that the credit is applied before we end the chat.
You
Thank you.

rdcamero

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
What did you have to say for them to refund you the money if u don’t mind sharing.

I just ask if they could issue me a credit on my account for the upgrade as a courtesy for being a long time customer.They may try to get you to accept a credit for half but tell them you want the full $30.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I did a sim swap from my iPhone X to XS max. It activated once I entered my security pin. Did I trigger the fee by doing that?

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
It depends who you reach on Verizon.

I asked them to wave it and they refused. So switching to T-mobile now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.