Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

3D content has begun appearing in the Apple TV app ahead of next year's Vision Pro headset launch (via FlatPanelsHD).

3d-movies-apple-tv-app.jpg
Screenshot of the Apple TV showing the new 3D content icon (via FlatPanelsHD).

tvOS 17.2's redesigned Apple TV app shows a large selection of movies with a small 3D icon that resembles a headset alongside other icons for the likes of Dolby Atmos and 4K. Since the movies are unplayable in 3D via the TV app without a Vision Pro headset, it is currently unclear what resolution and frame rate they play in. 3D titles seen in the Apple TV app include Jurassic World Dominion, Pacific Rim Uprising, Shrek, Trolls, Warcraft, Minions: The Rise of Gru, Mortal Engines, Everest, Kung Fu Panda 3, and more.

Apple showcased a 3D version of Avatar: The Way of Water to demonstrate some of the entertainment capabilities of the Vision Pro headset when it was unveiled in June and touted the ability to play 2D, 3D, and "immersive" movies on the device, including in a virtual cinema. Apple is also expected to offer Apple TV+ content in a new, immersive 3D video format, including Monarch: Legacy of Monsters. The Vision Pro headset launches early next year.

Article Link: 3D Movies Appear in Apple TV App Ahead of Vision Pro Launch

Last edited:

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
That's pretty cool. It's been a long time since I gave up with 3D movies myself as it was just not that great an experience on my old 3DTV but I do remember watching a couple of 3D films on my Oculus Rift years ago and it was by far the best 3D film experience I've ever had. If Apple does what they usually do with iTunes purchases then it means I'll automatically have 3D versions of all the films I purchased on iTunes, so it'll be a cool thing to try out if I ever do get a Vision headset.

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
Showed. They took it down, but the 3d icon svg’s are still referenced in the Apple TV webstore’s css. Content is more important than apps. The biggest advantage of this technology is making the signal/noise ratio of digital information higher than naturally possible.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
3d movies sucked the first time (60s), they sucked the second time (2000s). They will suck with the Vision Pro.

Seriously, though, I never watch movies alone....this sounds depressingly solitary.

Last edited:

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
I'm wondering if the movie itself in 3D or the icon refers to the Vision pro immersive mode like scenes and backdrops.

Reactions: emmab2006

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Having used the Quest 3 to stream my ripped 3d Content. I can say its the real deal and awesome right now. The only caveat is the colors and dark shadows that need to be elevated a bit. I hope Apple's vision pro will be able to be crystal clear with better rending of shadows and blacks. Quest 3 is just the appetizer.

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
I still cling to my 3DTV and just recently I bought the 3D Blu-ray of the latest Avatar flick, but I would not hesitate to admit that at best this looks like a nice-to-have for Vision Pro owners. People voted with their wallets and sent 3D back to its grave. Yes, maybe they will still show some mild interest in the next Avatar installment when it comes along, but that's about it.

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
3d movies sucked the first time (60s), they sucked the second time (2000s). They will suck with the Vision Pro.

Seriously, though, I never watch movies alone....this sounds depressingly solitary.
I don’t dispute the possibility of this, but there is something to be said about 100% binocular separation, head tracking and modeled Spatial Audio. I’m 50/50 on it being a thing because 3d isn’t that great on quest 3 / bigscreen.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Wow, what a veritable smorgasbord of top-tier, auteur-level choices to be presented in not-at-all silly THREE-DEE! Those members of the horsed class who will line up next year to receive their $3500 ski goggles will appreciate this level of thought-provoking entertainment.

Clearly, Apple's world-changing vision for the future of AR/VR is here, friends. Magical and Amazing®!

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Wow, what a veritable smorgasbord of top-tier, auteur-level choices to be presented in not-at-all silly THREE-DEE! Those members of the horsed class who will line up next year to receive their $3500 ski goggles will appreciate this level of thought-provoking entertainment.

Clearly, Apple's world-changing vision for the future of AR/VR is here, friends. Magical and Amazing®!

class warfare over 3d movie selections.

• Love
Reactions: com.B and cateye

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Honestly this is the experience I’ve been hoping for, and if Apple makes 3D versions automatically included with purchase I’ll be ecstatic. I’ll be watching Pixar and Marvel movies on day one with this device. Yes, there are plenty of other uses for this technology but for me media consumption is what I’m most looking forward to.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
class warfare over 3d movie selections.

Hey now. I don't discriminate. I would group 3D-anything into the same bucket of pablum set to be poured out for the great unwashed hooligan masses. You could present 3D Citizen Kane and I'd declare you first up against the wall when the revolution comes. But of course, that's just, like, my opinion, man. No more or less correct than anyone else's.

My point was more a great big obnoxious eye-roll at Apple's obsessive need to paint every. single. product. they burp out as epochal and life changing, including the Ski Goggles Pro. And yet, here we are: 3D movies.

Suckers, every single one of us.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
3D is not going to be a thing.

It was a flash in the pan fad in the 1950s.

It was a flash in the pan fad in the 1980s with IMAX.

It was a flash in the pan fad in the mid 2000s with Avatar and consumer 3D displays.

It will be a flash in the pan in the mid 2020s with the Apple Vision Pro.

3D is dumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.