Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
3d movies sucked the first time (60s), they sucked the second time (2000s). They will suck with the Vision Pro.

Seriously, though, I never watch movies alone....this sounds depressingly solitary.
Without getting into the subjective “sucked” part, the first obsession with 3D would usually be considered the early 1950s. Early 3D films predated 1920, I believe.

The early 1980s would likely count as the second obsession, with films like Friday the 13th Part 3 and Jaws 3D.

So the 2000s was at least the third time, and the years between seem to be dropping.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
So STOP a movie to swap batteries, so you can watch a movie ALONE all because it’s in 3D? At least with a 3D TV you can watch it with OTHERS, and you know, go to the bathroom, get food and drinks and interact with others…but hey, $3500 to watch 3D movies to constantly be plugged into a wall is GREAT! Funny how the rest of technology is going WIRELESS! Imagine if the only way to watch television was that your remote was plugged into the wall or had to have the batteries changed every couple of hours, would your argument be the same?
Your battery powered tv is in your bathroom with your snacks?

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
$14,000 for a family of 4.
$12,000 in the refurb store?
Wonder what a monthly family subscription would run?
you clearly haven't seen Ready Player One. We're all headed for a post-apocalyptic future where living in VR is only way to cope with are pathetic existence /sarc and /not sarc

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Your straw man argument would hold water if the only feature of Vision was watching movies.
I was replying to a comment YOU made. You clearly agree since you replied with nothing more than an insult and attempting to change the subject by pointing to other “capabilities” instead of continuing to comment on the subject of the article and my comment.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Your battery powered tv is in your bathroom with your snacks?
Who said anything about a “battery powered tv”? Reading and having a proper discussion aren’t your strong points. I suggest slow reading, line by line. There’s a great children’s book titled “Green Eggs and Ham” that would be a fantastic starting point for your reading level.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
When I’m watching a movie, I’m always either sitting in a chair, or lying on the couch, not Walking around the house. So having it plugged into an outlet isn’t exactly a big deal.
It’s comical how the technology industry is moving away from wires, I.e phones, keyboards, internet, gaming controllers, etc. and you are ok with being plugged into a wall just to watch a movie alone.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Films should be watched alone. Other People talking, eating, eating while talking, clapping at superhero’s and generally being annoying are the reason I go to the cinema alone most of the time on Tuesday aftenoon.
Even at home? What a sad existence you have.

Reactions: Sorinut

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Can’t wait to see a picture inside an airplane in 2-3 years with everyone wearing goggles. Flight attendants will need a stick to prod the window seat customers to get drink order.
I would imagine the the Vision Pro may eventually get banned from flights due to safety concerns that the wearer(s) are unable to be “present” during an inflight emergency.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
lol I actually did this once on a flight back when the Gear VR released. I honestly could have cared less what everyone around me thought of me wearing them. It was neat to be able to feel like I was in my own little personal movie theater. The problem was that the airplane wasn't flying in a straight line and eventually my POV would drift in VR even though I was sitting completely straight ahead. I would constantly have to recenter it. I don't know if that issue is fixed with modern tracking headsets but is was definitely an issue with the Gear VR.

When AR glasses become more affordable and start to look more like everyday sunglasses, I suspect more and more people will own them. Someday they will replace smartphones. But that could be another 10-20 years from now.
Google XReal Air 2.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Cause you could just have it plugged in during it since you're sitting down anyway. Not like the wire would be in your way or noticeable at all.
$3500 to be plugged into a wall to watch a movie alone. Nice! Hopefully you don’t have to go to the bathroom, get food or drinks, or have someone at the door!

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
$3500 to be plugged into a wall to watch a movie alone. Nice! Hopefully you don’t have to go to the bathroom, get food or drinks, or have someone at the door!
Yes, because obviously it'll be impossible to pause the movie, and take off the headset if any of those things happen.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
Google XReal Air 2.
I'm aware. They might look like sunglasses, but they have a long way to go to be something that would replace smartphones. I'm talking about something with the power of Vision Pro but in the form of traditional glasses/sunglasses. Something self-contained that can make calls, run apps, display messages, etc without the need of a secondary smart device.

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
Watching sports, for me and several other people, is a group event, not solitary.

We had six people over every night of the World Series. How does that work with an Apple headset?
I was only speaking for myself. Obviously if I have family or friends over for a group watch it doesn't work. In the future though, after the price comes down, the tech matures, and content becomes more ubiquitous more people will have headsets making group watches not only possible, but also more likely.

knightsabre7

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2022
Watching sports, for me and several other people, is a group event, not solitary.

We had six people over every night of the World Series. How does that work with an Apple headset?

For that you get a big screen TV. Different device for different use cases.

Reactions: G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.