Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
So basically the 2017 Plus will be another S while the smaller 2017 will be a full upgrade?

An interesting tactic... I'm not sure how my wife and I will handle it. She likes being on the same cycle as me, but she has a 4.7" while I have a 5.5".
You misunderstood what you read. To be fair, the headline and subsequent article are horribly written so it's understandable. Both phones will reportedly have wireless charging, not just the 4.7. Says so right in the article... very obtusely.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I know, right? Radiation is the worst. Light bulbs are so dangerous. Freaking sun spraying radiation everywhere. Should outlaw that earth aggression.

Thanks for that. I am well aware of ambient as well as man made RF / EM fields. We already create quite a bit of RF noise with our devices, yet complain about range / performance. So yeah, why not fill the spectrum with more of it.

Would be killer if Apple (or someone) could tap into the already present RF in the average house, as opposed to adding more of this noise.

Are you being serious? Wireless charging in its current form radiates a few cm from the device. Pull it any further than that and it won't charge.
What about all the other radiation in your house that is stronger than wireless charging - wifi/your phone...

My concern is with developing tech that radiates energy to the center of a room to charge your phone away from the source. Similar to how you can roam around a room with a wireless device and still talk to the network.

If the tech can be developed to charge off of the existing WIFI signals, Awesome!! If it requires a strong transmitter of it's own to achieve this, I am less interested.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

Stpike2001

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
USA
Isn't, like 40% of the energy wasted? All those hipsters out there w/ these phones don't have an issue with wasting 40% of their energy consumption but drive around in a Prius to lower their carbon imprint?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Curious to know if there is still a large percentage of people looking to upgrade to smartphones?
Does this market still have legs or is Apple milking a dead cow?

Look to Apple's revenue guidance...

Q4 2016 revenue came in at $46.9 billion. At the time that report was released, Apple provided Q1 2017 revenue guidance between $76 billion and $78 billion. Historically, Apple has been conservative on revenue guidance.

Based on the above, I would say this quarter will result in a huge number of iPhone sales. And no doubt a decent number of MacBook Pro sales as well.

Reactions: Pufichek

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The problem with current methods of wireless charging is that users have to buy additional wireless charging pads. For wireless charging to be ubiquitous, it needs to be included as standard, just like the AC adapter. Until then, it will be just a nice feature that hardly anybody uses.

Reactions: BruceEBonus

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
So the Plus users have to wait for 2018 iPhone 8S for wireless charging capabilities? :(

No, the Plus will likely have the tech first, just like everything else from image stabilization to dual cameras.

But is it thinner, and does it only have ports that you can't connect to anything without a multitude of (not included) adaptors?

It likely won't have any ports, and nobody will want them anymore after this phone is introduced.

chazbcn

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2013
I
Hopefully this will be long range wireless charging and not need a puck or dock.

Is such tech ready for mass production? No other manufacturer have released something like that (and Apple isn't usually the first when it comes to new tech).
It would be great though, not having to plug the phone or even place it on a mat or inductive charger/dock of sorts.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
These rumors keep getting exciting!!

But for the wireless charging. If I'm still tied to a pad that's stuck in a 3" x 5" location, where I can't even use my phone conveniently... it doesn't do any good. With a cable, I can move at least a few feet in almost any direction, while using my phone. I really hope this wireless charging is revolutionary, otherwise it's a blind copy of Samsung for the sake of copying, wasting convenience with no real gain.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Can't you guys mention in the article somewhere, the article you guys had ages ago about WiTricity? I can almost guarantee you that Apple is going to be using them. A press release was released recently that says they're going to begin ramping up production at the end of this year. It would be nice to read an article without slapping my head after reading the comments about people who think that wireless charging = induction. This will likely not be using the same tech as what any phone currently uses. WiTricity's tech is far superior.
WiTricity, like Energous is still distance dependent for actual efficient wireless charging. The closer you are, the better the charge. Also like Energous, there are a lot of caveats associated with the tech being viable for consumer devices. Let's slow our roll in proclaiming it to be the answer we've been looking for. Exciting tech, no doubt. Calling it far superior without any actual product is a reach.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Maybe Apple could add a USB-A port to make all the "Pro" users happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pufichek

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I'm really looking forward to the iPhone 7S
I'll take mine in gloss black
[doublepost=1480426822][/doublepost]

2018 will be for the iPhone 8.. iPhone 8S will be in 2019
Seeing as every analyst and his dog are reporting the iPhone 8 in 2017.... yea. Hope you didn't lay money down on your claims. You're going to lose it.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
As long as we KEEP the Lightning port. I loved the wireless charging on the Palm Pre, but even that feature (way ahead of its time and preferred over using that FLIMSY port cover) wasn't as convenient when you weren't home or didn't have a base available.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Not too excited for the iPhone 8.

You can bet that they're going to put most of their efforts into aesthetic redesign. The most functional part (if rumors are true) will be an all-display front, with no wasted bezel space.

They'll be saving a real camera upgrade for the 8s. I'll be getting a 7, I think it's actually a great time to buy right now.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
WiTricity, like Energous is still distance dependent for actual efficient wireless charging. The closer you are, the better the charge. Also like Energous, there are a lot of caveats associated with the tech being viable for consumer devices. Let's slow our roll in proclaiming it to be the answer we've been looking for. Exciting tech, no doubt. Calling it far superior without any actual product is a reach.
It isn't a reach at all. There have been multiple examples showing far greater distances than what's possible with current tech, including one that was capable of powering an entire room, from a single transmitter, using a bunch of repeaters. There will never be a wireless technology that isn't distance-dependent (unless we're someday able to leverage quantum entanglement, somehow...), so that argument is somewhat pointless. It delivers enough charge to power many devices, at reasonable distances. For a version 1.0 technology, I'd call it pretty good. I'm sure it can be improved upon in the future.

Reactions: Superhappytree

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Isn't, like 40% of the energy wasted? All those hipsters out there w/ these phones don't have an issue with wasting 40% of their energy consumption but drive around in a Prius to lower their carbon imprint?

It's not really on the same scale. One short drive in any car will use more energy than your smartphone will in it's entire lifetime.

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
Wireless charging will, if the reports are correct, become the next wifi-like benefit that public spaces (like airports), retailers and coffee shops can offer to customers. Imagine the benefit of going into Starbucks for a cup of joe, browsing the web and getting a quick charge doing nothing more than hitting accept on-screen as we do now for wifi. No longer needing to carry cables with you, or look for wall outlets to charge.

And once the charging tech is applied to laptops, workspaces can be created out of raw open areas, not requiring wiring be laid for desks / offices, since data and power can both be fed wirelessly. It's a huge change, if it can be accomplished.
2018 News Flash! Apple buys Starbucks! :(

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
many people here have said that Samsung isn't copying Apple's designs because the design of the iPhone is the most obvious choice (of course no phone looked like it at the time - but that's besides the point). What will they say when Apple comes up with something new and everyone else follows - as they tend to do?

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
your assumption is that Apple hasn't thought about that and come up with a solution. I think it's interesting that Apple moved all of the airport people into the apple tv division - perhaps they'll have one unit that does everything??

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'm really looking forward to the iPhone 7S
I'll take mine in gloss black
[doublepost=1480426822][/doublepost]

2018 will be for the iPhone 8.. iPhone 8S will be in 2019

Actually, it's possible we may get a 4.7" 7s and another larger 5.5"-5.8 model that looks different, maybe with a curved OLED display that could be called the iPhone 8 or perhaps iPhone Pro.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
It'll be cool to see what Apple comes out with next year, but I couldn't really care at this point. I'm going with a different phone manufacturer this year. An iPhone down the road might tempt me to come back at a later time, but I'm tired of relying on ONE manufacturer for my phone/electronic needs. Especially when we've seen the same design used three years in a row. More fun this way, anyhow--before smartphones, every new phone we'd get would be radically different, since it was never the same phone. Kept things new.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.