4 year old design = iPhone 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MBX macrumors 68000

Wow Apple has lost it. They call a 4 year old design the iPhone 8 when it should've been the 7s.

What a bad naming scheme. And so confusing.

Don't get why 'X'. The 'X' in tech is so overused in past decades I was happy to see when Apple abandoned it in macOS and now they bring it back to the iPhone.

Still think the Galaxy S8 looks better than the 'X's rubber boat bezel look that seems like there's a case around it.

2. gadget123 macrumors 68020

The X has a similar design too other than no bezels.

The 8 has a glass back the 6/6s and 7 do not so it is a new design.

3. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

Totally agree with you, iphone 8 front design has become boring now for me. Absolutely true s8 design is 1000 times better than iphone x top cut out bezel. I guess this is the first year samsung beat apple in design.

4. tatsuki macrumors member

tatsuki

Considering a lot of people put cases on their devices the iphone 8 will look exactly like a iPhone from the 6 onwards unless you look closely. I am a little annoyed the iphone 8 has same screen resolution as old ones, sure they go on about slightly better colour accuracy etc etc but when you compare the screen tech to all new flagships it's not as visually impressive in my opinion.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I literally couldn’t care less which phone my iPhone looks like or what people think about it.

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I literally couldn't care less about cases and what they look like or what people think of them…because I don't use them. ;) :D

7. Nozuka macrumors 68020

if this doesn't count as a new design, then every iphone since the first has had the same design.

but what people really are talking about, is that the phone didn't get a bigger screen / new formfactor

8. michial macrumors 6502a

michial

Amen. It looks just fine. It’s perfected and finely tuned. I bet the X will be loaded with issues. Every first iteration is. The 8 plus will be better geekbemch scores and at least more than one hour better battery and a few hundred more dollars in my pocket for a damn fine phone. Plus that notch on the X. Ugh.

9. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

There's clearly a power struggling going on at Apple. Some good ideas floating around but some really poor leadership & execution. iPhone 8 and iPhone X with a really weird screen. I'm sure some of you think the X is beautiful but I don't think so and the name is really bad.

10. Applefan4515 Suspended

Applefan4515

The name is so bad because everyone is calling it the iPhone ex. The x is the Roman numeral for ten, which is how it's pronounced. When said correctly, it's the same as every other iPhone name.

11. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

People keep bringing this up, but why exactly is it an issue? If you think about it, it looks exactly like the first iPhone from 10 years ago, just bigger. And so what? It's a design proven to be loved by many and one that works. The iPhone is instantly recognisable thanks to it. Put a bunch of Android phones on a table and I bet most people would have NO IDEA what they are. I don't know about you, but for me what's inside the device is more important.

12. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I’m still on a 6 Plus that I got in 2014 and I will probably get the 8 over the X. I’m a little bummed I’ll get a phone that looks the same, but on the other hand think of all the goodies I’ve been missing out on for the past 3 years. 3D touch, taptic engine, waterproofing, a good chip (A8 was horribly underpowered), 4k/hvec video shooting, 2nd gen TouchID, and now with the new phones 1080p slomo, wireless charging and ARkit. It’s going to be a whole new experience for me.

13. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

For you, yeah - the 8/Plus will be a killer new phone. Frankly, I'd recommend biting for that at this time, especially since competition for it won't be so overwhelming as the X.

14. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

[QUOTE="MBX, post: 25010868, member: 83773"

Still think the Galaxy S8 looks better .[/QUOTE]

There is where you lost your credibility to be a non troll Apple forum user :)
    good luck with your new textured plastic cover every 3 months from Samsung.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That’s exactly why I took the $650 for my 6 last year and got the 7.

16. paulryp macrumors regular

Samsungs now top dog. Its not even close anymore.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That’s exactly why I took the $650 for my 6 last year and got the 7.

18. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

What is infuriating is that they create yet another price tier in the iPhone X whereas the iPhone 8 should have been the iPhone X! The iPhone 7/8 are already premium phones with premium prices but with dated designs. Apple is being a sneaky POS like it has always been. I hope the X fails but it will probably break sales records like the MBP 2016.

In a few years from now, there is nothing stopping Apple from introducing yet another price tier - iPhone X Pro - comes with a bendable screen! Yet again, that will break all records! There is nothing that will stop the pigs at Apple from getting fatter.... ;-)

19. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Honestly, I couldn't care less to keep up with the latest-and-greatest iPhones any longer, now breaking an 8 year record for me.

Cost isn't worth it, now that phone features have matured so much, anymore.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    People will buy the X because of the programs such as 'AT&T Next' and Apple's 'Iphone Upgrade Program'.

Otherwise, the X surely would flop hard.

20. tatsuki macrumors member

tatsuki

I care that it has gigantic bezels and a screen resolution from 2012 if you consider what resolutions Android has been using and three years since the 6+ came out.

21. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

22. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

And it is impossible to discern between the 400PPI and the 500-600 PPI of Android devices. Heck, Samsung actually runs their phones at lower resolutions most of the time to save battery life. I had a S6 Edge (1440P) and I didn't notice a difference going to a 6S Plus. The resolution wars are a joke, all they do is destroy battery life.

23. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

How about this?

Attached Files:

24. pete480 macrumors regular

pete480

Yep...same old huge bezels once again on the 8. I'm really getting tired of it...they can at least reduce the size of them. I know they didn't want to take too many sales away from the X this year, but they really do need to change the design. I think I'm going to keep my 6+ until next year and see what they do. I skipped the 7 because I didn't think upgrading made any sense then either.

25. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

I believe Phil Schiller actually said 'the design is all-new" at some point during the keynote. I lost all respect for Apple at that point - that is really pushing the reality distortion field.