Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I care that it has gigantic bezels and a screen resolution from 2012 if you consider what resolutions Android has been using and three years since the 6+ came out.

I don't mind the 1080p resolution even if it has been surpassed by Android phone makers, but it does bother me that they couldn't at least have shaved off a few millimeters from the top and bottom of the 8/8 plus making the screen to body ratio feel at least slightly updated.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I don't mind the 1080p resolution even if it has been surpassed by Android phone makers, but it does bother me that they couldn't at least have shaved off a few millimeters from the top and bottom of the 8/8 plus making the screen to body ratio feel at least slightly updated.

You can't compare a PenTile display to a Non PenTile display.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleCard...xels_and_vr_an_examination_of_ips_vs_pentile/

"A) a 1440P pentile oled (7.3M lighting elements) in terms of image quality, is only slightly better than a 1080P screen (6.2M lighting elements) and if you are viewing images with very little green in them, (such as skin tone) it will be significantly worse."

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
You can't compare a PenTile display to a Non PenTile display.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleCard...xels_and_vr_an_examination_of_ips_vs_pentile/

"A) a 1440P pentile oled (7.3M lighting elements) in terms of image quality, is only slightly better than a 1080P screen (6.2M lighting elements) and if you are viewing images with very little green in them, (such as skin tone) it will be significantly worse."

I wasn't comparing necessarily, just referring that the 1080p on the LCD doesn't bother me as much as the bezels.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
There is where you lost your credibility to be a non troll Apple forum user :)
good luck with your new textured plastic cover every 3 months from Samsung.

I literally have no idea what you're talking about here.....

If you can't look at the S8, and hold it, and say that's a gorgeous piece of kit, then you're delusional. (and there's no plastic, so I don't know what you're on about there). Now, you may prefer the iPhone X design, but the S8 is absolutely beautiful hardware.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I have a feeling that next year's iPhones will drop the numbers all together. My guess is iPhone and iPhone Pro or just iPhone and iPhone Plus. I think X was too good to pass up considering the 10 year anniversary so they had to skip 7s in order to make the 8 seem like a bigger upgrade and the X be the special edition.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I have a feeling that next year's iPhones will drop the numbers all together. My guess is iPhone and iPhone Pro or just iPhone and iPhone Plus. I think X was too good to pass up considering the 10 year anniversary so they had to skip 7s in order to make the 8 seem like a bigger upgrade and the X be the special edition.

I really wish they hadn't, since the whole numbering will be a mess now. If they go with just iPhone and iPhone Pro, what happens the year after when they are also called iPhone and iPhone Pro?

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
if this doesn't count as a new design, then every iphone since the first has had the same design.

but what people really are talking about, is that the phone didn't get a bigger screen / new formfactor

What? A hint: if you can use the exact same case it might not be a new design.
[doublepost=1505330239][/doublepost]
I believe Phil Schiller actually said 'the design is all-new" at some point during the keynote. I lost all respect for Apple at that point - that is really pushing the reality distortion field.
Couldn’t agree more. That could have just let it be and said nothing.
[doublepost=1505330367][/doublepost]
The X is virtually the same as the phones I mentioned minus the home button - form factor is practically identical so no, won't bother me at all.
No it’s not.

Barnfather

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
UK
I really wish they hadn't, since the whole numbering will be a mess now. If they go with just iPhone and iPhone Pro, what happens the year after when they are also called iPhone and iPhone Pro?

I suspect it will become like the Macs.

So someone will own the iPhone (2018 model), and someone else will own the (iPhonePro 2019).

Given the incremental changes in phones these days, giving it a brand new model name is harder to justify.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
If a design hasn't changed for 4 years but somehow keeps on selling year after year. Why change it?

The HATERS are Hilarious

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iPhone 6 was released on September 19, 2014.

The iPhone8 will be released on September 22, 2017.

2017 - 2014 = 3 years

There's the iPhone X, which is a new design. I prefer its design over Samsung's offerings.
True but the argument is clearly that the "3 year old" design extends into approximately Fall of 2018, making it 4 years old.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I think there's little Apple can do to IMPROVE the form factor until we get a breakthrough in battery technology. So why chance the shape of the 8/8Plus just for the sake of change?

Reactions: AppleZombie

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
I think there's little Apple can do to IMPROVE the form factor until we get a breakthrough in battery technology. So why chance the shape of the 8/8Plus just for the sake of change?

What people don't realize is that the majority of buyers are happy with their iphone design and are happy to upgrade to a faster iPhone with the same body. There is only a small percentage of the population who is looking to upgrade on a yearly basis and expect a new body year in and year out.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Based on the attached slides and the rumors and photos with Touch ID being on the back, I suspect Apple had a more aggressive redesign for iPhone 8.

Given the production problems with iPhone X, I suspect Apple cancelled any aggressive changes to the iPhone 8. They couldn't risk production problems with both iPhone 8 and iPhone X.

Attachments

• Foxconn-presentation-slides-image-001.jpg
    Foxconn-presentation-slides-image-001.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 106

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
What people don't realize is that the majority of buyers are happy with their iphone design and are happy to upgrade to a faster iPhone with the same body. There is only a small percentage of the population who is looking to upgrade on a yearly basis and expect a new body year in and year out.
Good point. Additionally, I've seen many more of the 7Plus out and about than any of the previous Plus iPhones before. So I think people are getting used to the bigger form factor just fine.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Design is overrated. Changing the name either way accomplishes nothing...well, actually naming it the 8 differentiates itself from the 7 enough to drive sales.

drygioni

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
I wanted an upgrade on my iPhone 6 last year but thought they'd not really moved on quite enough. I think the 8 is just about there, certainly from a 6 (6S users, you can really wait another year). I actually like the form factor, it's a reliable workhorse with a good spec and feature bump, and that's what I need right now. The lack of 128GB is infuriating but at least I can take a stupid amount of video at 256GB without caring. I'm going to be travelling a lot in the next year or so and I want to document it.

I see the X as being miles away from an everyday phone for me, though if I had crazy money I'd pick one up as a tech demo.

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
A "s" phone has the exact same body with faster internals. The 8 was not named a 7s, because the back of the phone is very different being glass instead of aluminum. That is my opinion as to why the name is 8 and not 7s.

Reactions: drygioni

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
A "s" phone has the exact same body with faster internals. The 8 was not named a 7s, because the back of the phone is very different being glass instead of aluminum. That is my opinion as to why the name is 8 and not 7s.

Good Point! The phone is also heavier and thicker than the 7.

Here is what I see happening:

2017: iphone 8 and 10(X)
2018: Iphone 9 no Plus(with Face ID/Touch ID) and Iphone 10S and 10S+ (With FACE ID/Touch ID/Apple in house OLED)
2019: Apple Phone, this will end the iPhone and number series.

Reactions: drygioni

drygioni

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Good Point! The phone is also heavier and thicker than the 7.

Here is what I see happening:

2017: iphone 8 and 10(X)
2018: Iphone 9 no Plus(with Face ID/Touch ID) and Iphone 10S and 10S+ (With FACE ID/Touch ID/Apple in house OLED)
2019: Apple Phone, this will end the iPhone and number series.

Sounds about right, and I'd want to keep my 8 until 2019 for sure.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Wow Apple has lost it. They call a 4 year old design the iPhone 8 when it should've been the 7s.

What a bad naming scheme. And so confusing.

Don't get why 'X'. The 'X' in tech is so overused in past decades I was happy to see when Apple abandoned it in macOS and now they bring it back to the iPhone.

Still think the Galaxy S8 looks better than the 'X's rubber boat bezel look that seems like there's a case around it.
Are you wanting a new phone to stare at in art decor style smiles, or one to use?

Reactions: AppleZombie

amps

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
On a positive note.... they should have all the bugs worked out by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.