4 Years With The iPhone 3GS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JixerJr, Nov 14, 2013.

1. JixerJr macrumors newbie

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

3. Davejprince macrumors regular

Because not everyone MUST spend 600/700 bucks a year for just a .. phone
    As long as it works why should you always upgrade.?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Perhaps he doesn't have a money tree in his backyard, or perhaps the phone did everything OP required and needed without a hitch, so the need for a new one is moot.

5. JixerJr thread starter macrumors newbie

I`m only 15 so money is not really that easy to access

6. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I had one for over 4 years myself. Started saving for the iPhone5 and within 3 weeks, after years of use, I dropped the 3GS on concrete smashing the screen and damaging the headphone connector and volume control. I would have likely saved longer and bought the 32 or 64Gb iPhone5 if that didn't happen. A friend of mine said the 3GS is still useful to people for testing their apps on older hardware.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I know a couple of people who still use the 3GS. It still works pretty well as a smart phone and does basic tasks well. It is considerably slower than the iPhone 5 though as you'd expect, but not everyone can afford to upgrade every 1 or 2 years. They are a luxury accessory after all. :)

8. sananda macrumors 68020

I'd still be using my 3GS if it hadn't stopped working in May. It cost me £549 and I'd have liked to kept using for a while longer before spending more.

9. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

The thing I don't get is that why would your phone slow down just because it is old. I mean if you don't upgrade it or install new apps on it, it will be fast as new. I mean u miss out on the new stuff but it still should run fast like it used to.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I know plenty of engineers, accountants, lawyers etc on 3G, 3GS, feature-phones who are in 80-140k R&D roles. They simply have other interests, lives, and priorities than to keep up with and have the latest connected gadget.

11. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Makes sense :). Are you going to upgrade?

----------

I agree. One of my best friends who is a neurologist and makes like 300k a year had a 3GS for a few years but I convinced him to get a 5.

12. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

You should be able to get a 4/4s for free now.

Or scrape togther 50 bucks for 5c on sale at certain retail chains

13. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Why would you drive the same car for 4 years?

14. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Good for you little buddy,

Glad to hear your enjoying 3GS after many years of use.

Let's hope your parents have a nice Christmas surprise for you :)

15. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I turned my 3gs into a "iTouch" and leave it in the car plugged in for a music source. Hope it runs for years more in that role.

16. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

It's a lot harder to switch out cars than phones but then the op does have a legitimate reason. I sell my phone every year and end up upgrading yearly for less than $50 extra. If you buy off contract, maybe it will cost you a little more but people use their phones more than anything else so why not for a minimal cost. To each his own.

17. JixerJr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thinking of picking up a gold 5s for the money I receive at Christmas :)

18. dasams macrumors member

dasams

You should let the engineers, accountants, lawyers, etc know that they are paying a high monthly rate which was designed to payoff the phone in 2 yrs. For every year thereafter, they're giving ATT the extra cash with no benefit :eek: If it were a fair world, ATT would drop the monthly fee at the end of the two year contract but that's a LOL.

19. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

IMAO, it's plain idiotic to spend over 1k on an iPhone.$500 at most...and you ask me why I have the 2nd newest generation of everything? :cool:

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Why not if it does what he needs it to? The tech companies have us all nicely conditioned, don't they? It's scandalous of someone uses the same perfectly functional device for more than 2 or 3 years.

21. DSPalpatine macrumors member

This. I use my old 3GS as an "iTouch" for the gym. When I'm working out, I like knowing that no one can reach me for calls, messages, alerts, etc (yes, I know that airplane mode would accomplish a similar goal) but also, if I drop it, or it goes flying off the treadmill, or a dumbbell lands on it, well, no worries. The same can't be said about my iPhone 4.

22. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I use mine for an iTouch as well. It's still a very capable device. I use it at work and leave it at my station. My job leaves my hands dirty a lot, so if my 5, in my pocket, notifies me of a message I can respond on my 3GS and leave my white 5...well white.

23. erure macrumors regular

One of my professors was still rocking a 3GS (or who knows it could have even been 3G). Noticed she upgraded to 5s today so she's probably thrilled with her new phone :)

24. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My 3Gs was recently sold on Craigslist. It had been in use as an iPod touch for my son, but it still worked fine. I'll miss it, but it was getting too slow.

25. PurpleHaze2010 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, but does "iTouch" bother anyone else as much as it bothers me?