Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one?

• MacBook Pro 13”

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • iMac 5K

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters

zigzagzug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2018
I was unstable between my 21.5 "iMac and my MacBook Pro. But now I have changed, 27” 5K iMac 3.4 GHz 1 TB Fusion Drive or 2.3 GHz 256 GB SSD 13” 2018 MacBook Pro with touchbar? I will use it for programming and basic indie games. I am a student. I have an iPad for mobility.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I was unstable between my 21.5 "iMac and my MacBook Pro. But now I have changed, 27” 5K iMac 3.4 GHz 1 TB Fusion Drive or 2.3 GHz 256 GB SSD 13” 2018 MacBook Pro with touchbar?

If you're sure you don't need a laptop, and go for the iMac, splurge another $100 on the iMac to get the 256GB SSD version ($300 for the 512GB would be even better, but you were going to settle for 256GB on the MBP...).

Just say no to "spinning rust".

Reactions: Yvan256

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, talk about two products at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

the MBP is the goto machine if you need mobility, does your iPad fit all of your computer needs on the go as a student? If so then get the iMac.

I also recommend avoiding the Fusion drive like the plague at this point. There's no reason to plunk down so much money on a computer only to have a slow spinning drive.

Reactions: Yvan256

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
If I was a student I'd probably go for the laptop (lectures, coffee shops etc ) as personally I would struggle with the iPad but YMMV.

If I was sure I was happy with the iPad and wanted something with some 'oomph' then the iMac is a cracking machine. If you're living away from home though and might need to shuffle it around a bit (at the end of term etc) bear in mind the iMac is quite a lump. It's the boot (trunk) of a car job. I sometimes have to shift mine around and I've bought a really good padded case made specifically for the 27". It was worth every penny and really helps but even with it I wouldn't want to cart it around on public transport.

jaduff46

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2010
Second star on the right....
I just don’t believe the iPad will suffice for all your computing needs at school. And while I have an iPad Air which is sufficient for emails, browsing, reading, etc., I wouldn’t want to type a paper of any length using it.

So I’d vote for the MBP as I think it provides more power and flexibility. Encourage you to go to the Apple store and try it out. Also, as @theluggage suggests, go with all SSD. At least 256GB.

Look for the education discount too!

Best of luck in school.

tbloomq

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
I was unstable between my 21.5 "iMac and my MacBook Pro. But now I have changed, 27” 5K iMac 3.4 GHz 1 TB Fusion Drive or 2.3 GHz 256 GB SSD 13” 2018 MacBook Pro with touchbar? I will use it for programming and basic indie games. I am a student. I have an iPad for mobility.

Have you considered the MacBrook Pro combined with an external monitor (maybe a keyboard and mouse/trackpad too)?

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America

What year are you? How many CS courses have you taken?

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Definitely get the iMac 5k. As others said, absolutely do not get the Fusion drive. SSD all the way, the machine will be lightning fast with one of the best screens you can get.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
It depends on your course and the facilities available. I’m a university lecturer. The School of Computer Science I work in has dedicated labs with high end computers. The students can easily do without laptops, so I know a few have iMacs because the large screen is perfect for programming, and it is more powerful than the MBP (also, laptop+external monitor takes up more space, important in student accomodation).

Reactions: PlayUltimate

jeboles

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
I'd go MacBook Pro. Pair it up with an LG UltraWide monitor like 34" for under $400. If you go 13" pro, an EGPU will make it into a nice dock/desktop gaming setup. You will kinda get the best of both worlds. (Maybe just not as pretty)

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Being the owner of a 27" 5K iMac myself I would normally say that you should go for the iMac. However, I assume you are staying in a dormitory of some sort so in that case I would recommend the Macbook Pro. If you are coding, you will need an external monitor for sure. Like another poster said, lugging the iMac around is a bit of a hassle and I would hate to leave something like that in the dorm room. The iPad is perfectly adequate for taking notes in class when paired with a keyboard or Apple Pencil but in your case, the laptop would serve your interests better in my opinion.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Being the owner of a 27" 5K iMac myself I would normally say that you should go for the iMac. However, I assume you are staying in a dormitory of some sort so in that case I would recommend the Macbook Pro. If you are coding, you will need an external monitor for sure. Like another poster said, lugging the iMac around is a bit of a hassle and I would hate to leave something like that in the dorm room. The iPad is perfectly adequate for taking notes in class when paired with a keyboard or Apple Pencil but in your case, the laptop would serve your interests better in my opinion.

Also in agreement with everyone else, if you do go iMac don't get the Fusion Drive

dannynjoni

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
Have you considered the MacBrook Pro combined with an external monitor (maybe a keyboard and mouse/trackpad too)?

Agreed. I was in your position years ago and went with this option. I have never looked back. I've got an iPad that I use mainly for reading now, but as fast and efficient as MacBooks are right now you won't regret it

I even recently picked up an eGPU for faster video editing and gaming. Now it really is difficult to tell I'm not working on a desktop. While I had to jump through a few technical hoops to get it working to my liking in bootcamp, it works flawless out of the box on OSX and is just fantastic!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.