Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I disliked this because renaming "Master server list" to "main server list" is not fighting systemic racism in any capacity.
This is the only thing I have to say and will say about this. I am 100% for abandoning the master/slave terminology due to its origins. I'm also disgusted by subreddits being named, say, "ultrawidemasterrace". Come on.

But I know better than to allow this to prevent me from enjoying life. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

pianostar9

macrumors regular
I disliked this because renaming "Master server list" to "main server list" is not fighting systemic racism in any capacity.
Just wanted to comment that I don’t think the proposal was actually meant to fight racism but more to stand in solidarity just as the everyday people around the world standing in solidarity with Ukraine don’t actually think it will somehow fight Putin!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Just wanted to comment that I don’t think the proposal was actually meant to fight racism but more to stand in solidarity just as the everyday people around the world standing in solidarity with Ukraine don’t actually think it will somehow fight Putin!
But in solidarity to what? Some vague joining the dots between language and oppression - and a very specific, historical and particular oppression at that.

Reactions: alex_free

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
This is the only thing I have to say and will say about this. I am 100% for abandoning the master/slave terminology due to its origins. I'm also disgusted by subreddits being named, say, "ultrawidemasterrace". Come on.
I think of "master" in "master list" more like "master chef" than "slave master", but otherwise fully agreed (especially since the terms are usually more confusing than useful, e.g. PATA/IDE). I think it's totally fine and well-intentioned to do this, I just think the maintainer's militancy on the issue is misplaced given that it's mostly window dressing.

Of course, but it's also easy to trick yourself into thinking that "signalling solidarity" is doing actual politics, thus absolving you of participating in slower, less immediately-rewarding, collective efforts in support of your ideals. You can feel like you're involved, participating, making a difference, without all the risks or possibility of failure of joining with others to try and actually accomplish anything politically. It's a release valve for political energy, one I'm as guilty of as anyone.

I don't know, I fully understand the sentiment and the want to do *something* in the face of stark injustice and the suffering of fellow humans. I just feel like there was so much energy and anger and possibility of material, structural change in the summer of 2020, but all we got out of it long-term was renamed git branches, some episodes of network TV shows removed from streaming, and the white couple behind the "Thug Kitchen" cookbook changing its name to "Bad Manners", all while news agencies still breathlessly use language like "officer-involved shooting", literal gangs in the L.A. Sheriff's department are allowed to continue unchecked, and police are still regularly trained to be in a constant state of fear and never hesitate to shoot by people like Dave Grossman. Relative to the scope of the problem, it's sort of like if a year from now all the international solidarity and outrage over Ukraine ended up accomplishing was getting "Rasputin" by Boney M banned from radio play.

Reactions: ww2_1943

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
It's a release valve for political energy
More like a guilt bypass switch.

There was no revolution in 2020.

The utterly unremarkable manslaughter of a career criminal was seized upon by a cabal of vested interests who’s core motivations were not the faintest bit attached to the cause of combatting racism and then rolled it out as huge PR campaign for political ends.

The west in is a far worse place now than it was two years ago.

Reactions: dextructor

fra9000

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2020
Italia
The populist reaction to american police shooting black people has brought the Hardware hard disk to be renamed from master to main..they deserved that. Bad hard disk!.

Git repository..you racist master now you will be renamed to "main". They deserved that..bad repositories!

And the funny thing is that both HW and SW have never been related to White Master or Black Slave terminology.

Nevertheless US police is still killing poor people in the street. But yeah many politically correct commits to avoid screaming populists yelling around.

How funny the human kind is getting...insted of pointing the finger to ourselves, we punish unanimated objects even virtual ones.

Just an opinion from an anti-racist european ?.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@Dronecatcher I agree that those in power maliciously exploited and harvested the bursting emotion provided by the world in response to an event drenched in questionable beginnings with potential strings attached.

But I for one disagree with the notion that there was no revolution in 2020. I think there was, and it was called the revolution of fear. Mass populaces of the world were fed fraudulent hyped-up information 24/7/365, and it toyed with their values, principles, and belief systems as a result.

100% mundane activities (such as walking in the street, or simply partaking in a group) became outlawed, and as you know, the vast majority were coerced into covering one half of their face (in many places for now two years and counting), generating even further subconsciously-rooted fear, uncertainty, and distrust, and as a result quite possibly destroying the emotional capability of an entire generation.

Evidently, it appears that we have fallen down a slippery slope. Due to this, people have made choices that they wouldn't have under their better judgement only two-and-a-half years ago, and most unfortunately, they are now increasingly finding that there are acute consequences to their choices that could quite possibly stay with them for the rest of their lives.

I wholeheartedly believe that because of this unwanted revolution, the world has changed in a big way, and not necessarily for the better at all. - Although I'm sure Klaus Schwab disagrees.

But I digress. Now we are all on our soapboxes ...

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
@z970 What the past two years have shown is that vast swathes of society are either scientifically and morally illiterate or filter their understanding through their political persuasion first, that their memory of recent events doesn’t seem to stretch further back more than a few days and all their critical thinking is outsourced to government mouthpieces, soundbite pundits and social media trending points.

Hence my opinion - we are dying as a culture.

• Love
Reactions: alex_free

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
@z970 What the past two years have shown is that vast swathes of society are either scientifically and morally illiterate or filter their understanding through their political persuasion first, that their memory of recent events doesn’t seem to stretch further back more than a few days and all their critical thinking is outsourced to government mouthpieces, soundbite pundits and social media trending points.

Hence my opinion - we are dying as a culture.

What many don't realize is that it's no longer left vs right, one political party against another, nor one race against another/others, as well as other divide and conquer schemes. It's now good vs evil... and people are waking up. I just hope it's not too late.

My one and done geopolitical post...

Last edited:

pianostar9

macrumors regular

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020

But I know better than to allow this to prevent me from enjoying life. :)
I totally agree with the reddit name. The thing is, this is not even that. This is the same as mastering a pressed CD-ROM. There is no slave branch or slave server list. That does not exist.
I like how we can have a conversation and discuss, the ioquake3 fork dev can not handle this kind of interaction. That is all I really wanted to say withy original post.

Reactions: Amethyst1

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020

@alex_free Apparently now you can't talk about the change in that thread
You never were allowed, I didn't technically talk about it. He didn't appreciate the loophole of disliking it.

Reactions: pianostar9

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I totally agree with the reddit name. The thing is, this is not even that. This is the same as mastering a pressed CD-ROM. There is no slave branch or slave server list. That does not exist.
I like how we can have a conversation and discuss, the ioquake3 fork dev can not handle this kind of interaction. That is all I really wanted to say withy original post.

That's reddit for you (and Twitter. And Facebook. And YouTube. And so on and so on ad nauseum...)

You know what really sucks?

The PPC Quake is all gone and deleted, and my G4 and G5 are sad :(

No one wins. Racism still exists too. :(

Attachments

• IMG_3953.JPG
    IMG_3953.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 32
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.