Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
So this would mean the verizon model would still be best b.c it would work with everyone but sprint. Verizon would not activate a t-mobile or att model.

Sprint is in the same boat....would work with everyone but verizon.

sprint and verizon will not activate phones that are not theirs outside the SIM free version.

Yep.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
You could always buy the Tmobile version as Contract free and unlocked and use it with an GSM carrier!

They didn't advertise this when they launched it about a month after the iPhone 5 was released.

Reactions: jashworth03

Tripzter

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
So what's the advantage of paying full retail to get it unlocked?
Some of us have an UDP. If I want to keep it, I must pay full price. With Apple now allowing full price pre-orders on the Website or Apple Store app, I don't have to order from VZW, which was awful for the 6Plus. Plus, the VZW iPhone is unlocked, full price or not.

Reactions: icanhazapple

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
Hmmm. So I wonder what the SIM-Free will look like. With the iPhone 5 (or 5S, I can't remember) it couldn't be used on VZW's network cause it didn't have the CDMA bands (it was essentially the t-Mobile phone). Then they changed that with the 6 and you could use the SIM-free anywhere.

Now they are splitting the CDMA/non-CDMA models again, so I wonder if will have another SIM-free that isn't really fully compatible.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Some of us have an UDP. If I want to keep it, I must pay full price. With Apple now allowing full price pre-orders on the Website or Apple Store app, I don't have to order from VZW, which was awful for the 6Plus. Plus, the VZW iPhone is unlocked, full price or not.

Right, but you're not getting a break on your monthly bill either, are you? It's like paying twice

brianric

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
So this would mean the verizon model would still be best b.c it would work with everyone but sprint. Verizon would not activate a t-mobile or att model.

Sprint is in the same boat....would work with everyone but verizon.

sprint and verizon will not activate phones that are not theirs outside the SIM free version.
I just activated a T-Mobile iPhone 6 on Verizon.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
So what's the advantage of paying full retail to get it unlocked? I hate to sound dense, but you wind up paying a lot more

In my particular situation I buy the phone at full price ... using an iPhone 6 16GB as an example

$199 carrier discount price vs $649 full contract free price = $450 / 24 months = $18.75 a month
My Tmobile unlimited everything plan runs me $147 for 3 lines or about $50 each ... factor in the $19 I am paying for the iPhone and I pay around $69 a month for unlimited everything.

IDK the exact $ with the other carriers but I don't think ATT has an unlimited plan and there higher data plans are prob over $100 per month.

For me it saves me $ .. gives me flexibility and I OWN the iPhone under no contract!

Reactions: Four oF NINE

brianric

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Right, but you're not getting a break on your monthly bill either, are you? It's like paying twice
I bought a Note 4 from Verizon paying about $27/month for the phone. I paid off the phone early and in addition to knocking off the $27/month for the phone, Verizon knocked off an additional $15/month. I have since switch to the medium data plan 3 GB/month plus unlimited text and talk for $65/month minus 15% for being a Navy veteran.

Reactions: Four oF NINE

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I bought a Note 4 from Verizon paying about $27/month for the phone. I paid off the phone early and in addition to knocking off the $27/month for the phone, Verizon knocked off an additional $15/month. I have since switch to the medium data plan 3 GB/month plus unlimited text and talk for $65/month minus 15% for being a Navy veteran.

So using Verizon's payment plan option, you were effectively on contract with regards to device fees? We're currently off contract (have been since last year), so we get $15 device discounts for each of our iPhones. That's $360/year! (I actually meant to update to the 10GB plan for the extra $10/per device extra, the net diff was -$10, not sure if that's still an option...)

Anyway, trying to figure out how to best buy and order new phones. Outright direct from Apple is easy enough, no change to our Verizon plan price. Definitely don't want to go "subsidized" that I believe is still an option for our account.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I'm not calling BS, but BS. You would probably be the first person ever to do so. Verizon only whitelist verizon phones and the SIM free iPhone.

Verizon has backed off a bit recently on what phones they'll activate. Head over to howardforums.com -> Verizon Wireless, they're some stories there are people activating phones they originally purchased from other carriers (iPhone 6's as well) on Verizon.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
How do you know full price is unlocked? If you do it from the app, it gives you only T Mobile version as unlocked.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009

had the exact same experience - I have grandfathered unlimited data with Verizon, have to pay full price for my phones (which I'm fine with - I use about 10-15GB a month and their current plans would cost me _way_ more for a comparable amount of finite data), and my 6+ pre-order through Verizon Wireless was a disaster. Very pleased I can order directly from Apple as a Verizon customer and not have to go through Verizon Wireless - this was _not_ the case in years past. Ordering from Apple.com as a VZW customer only gave you the option of two year agree or whatever that silly payment plan option they have now.

The 6S launch is the first instance in which a Verizon customer can order directly from Apple and pay full price.

The less I have to deal with Verizon, the better. They are a dumb pipe pretending to be a content company (please stop wasting money on these delusions and lower my bill)

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Just so everyone knows, I think that is just showing you pricing. If you go into the apple store app on your phone or tablet and select shop, iPhone, iPhone 6s, view pricing,iPhone 6, color, size, and contract free (it gives you replace this phone, replace another phone, and contract free). The only option there is the tmobile variant.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Just so everyone knows, I think that is just showing you pricing. If you go into the apple store app on your phone or tablet, select shop, iPhone, iPhone 6s, view pricing,iPhone 6, color, size, and contract free. The only option there is the tmobile variant.

that is a known display discrepancy between the mobile app and the full site - I place my trust in the site; if it's telling me I can buy it full price as a VZW customer, I believe it. We won't have to wait long to find out.

Reactions: Tripzter

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
that is a known display discrepancy between the mobile app and the full site - I place my trust in the site; if it's telling me I can buy it full price as a VZW customer, I believe it. We won't have to wait long to find out.

That is damn good to know. Last year it was only the t-mobile variant on both though.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
That is damn good to know. Last year it was only the t-mobile variant on both though.

if it works for customers of the other carriers on Friday night/Saturday morning, you can thank me later - I wrote to Apple after my 6+ debacle to tell them how displeased I was with being forced to order from Verizon as opposed to just buying the phone at full price through Apple to retain my unlimited data.

Reactions: Tripzter

Tripzter

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
I just tried the Apple Store App on my iP6+. The option to order full price VZW iPhone 6S+ shows up. I did check the "Remember Me" box, so come order time, no time wasted on eligibility nonsense. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.