Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
There is not a single person on this planet that will buy an iPhone 6s and will think of this advertising company. This is a very expensive 15 minutes of fame.

I suspect that the general public buying iPhones is not their intended market. But, if they create a buzz, it's going to get their name out to larger organisations that are looking for smart, funny marketing companies.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
LOL at the people in here who think this company is serious...

They obviously know Apple can't and won't change the name. But now people are Googling "6S Marketing" which is exactly what the firm wanted.

Do people really think that this company is fearing because another company with a product totally unrelated to 6S Markting's name, is being serious?

BallsMcGee

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
This is obviously a no name company hoping to ride on the coattails of Apple. Clearly it's working.

I like how you know it's obvious...

This is a Vancouver ad agency (with Toronto and New York satellites) that started with online marketing and SEO and has grown huge amounts in the last 5 years. I'm in the marketing industry and know all about these guys and their sister company, Drive Digital.

And no, I don't work for them (although I have used their services).

Last edited:

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Apple clearly hired 6S marketing to run this campaign. Clever, I like it.

On another note, I just locked in $390 for my 16GB iPhone 6 on Gazelle!

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Besides, it's _called_ the iPhone - "6s" is just a model number.
A year from now, the marketing company will be "last year's model".
And then they can sell themselves to Gazelle for $250.

Reactions: venomgt95

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
This is actually really good marketing. It's tongue in cheek.

6S Marketing don't want Apple to change the name of their phone. They are simply using the name of Apple's phone to advertise their business in a fairly amusing manner that will catch the eye of the public, but can't get them sued.

To put it best, had you heard of 6S Marketing before today? Nope. Now you have. So have a load of people walking through Times Square.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Meanwhile Huawei steals Apple's 'Force Touch' marketing term. How much more pathetic can you get?

2e32vbl.jpg

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
So, they're cashing in on the name of the new iPhone to use its hype to promote their own company by pretending they want Apple to call the 6s the iPhone.

Pretty pathetic being honest.

TomMcIn

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Canada
Not a very attentive marketing firm if they just heard about the Apple iPhone 6s. Where have they been for the last 8 months?

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow

6S Marketing, an ad agency located in New York, is hoping to persuade Apple to change the name of its upcoming iOS device, the iPhone 6s, to the iPhone 7. The company has written an open letter addressed to Apple and rented several billboards, one in Times Square, reading "Dear Universe, Please call it the iPhone 7. Sincerely, 6S Marketing."

6S Marketing has also tagged its billboards with a campaign hashtag, #WeAre6S, which it says it uses to "highlight our unique and fun company culture."

6smarketingtimessquarebillboard-800x533.jpg

In the letter posted on its website, 6S Marketing goes on to say the company has heard rumors the next-generation iPhone will be called the iPhone 6s, and urges Apple to "reconsider" before detailing the company's long history.As we're now less than a week away from the unveiling of the next-generation iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, there would be no time for Apple to change its own marketing materials and packaging even should it choose to consider 6S Marketing's plea, a fact the company likely knows, making this more of a publicity stunt than a genuine request.

6smarketingotherbillboard-800x533.jpg

Apple's iPhone naming scheme has been the same for multiple years in a row, having kicked off with the iPhone 3GS. 6S Marketing's publication of its letter at this late date in Apple's development cycle suggests the company is simply hoping to garner some attention ahead of the September 9 introduction of the next-generation iPhone.

6S Marketing ends its open letter with the following: "Hopefully, this message will reach you in time and you'll reconsider leaving "6S" to the originals -- we've been rocking it since the millennium, after all."

Article Link: '6S Marketing' Ad Agency Asks Apple to Rename 'iPhone 6s'

The guy holding the balloon is hilarious!

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't hire a marketing company that apparently doesn't understand the timeline for launching a product and when it is too late to change the branding on something :rolleyes:

Yes, I understand they are just kidding to get attention. Just pointing out the possible downside to their strategy.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I'm sure this company will be on national & international news. Smart marketing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.