Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
LOL. The Axon 7 I've got is better than my previous iPhone 6+.

Really? Have you seen any speed test comparisons? How many months do you suppose the latest Android malware on it will be supported? lol

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
Really? Have you seen any speed test comparisons? How many months do you suppose the latest Android malware on it will be supported? lol

I don't give a **** about some video on Youtube. I've used them both side by side. The A7 is faster in day to day use than my 6+ is. And since the A7 came out in Summer 2016 and went from 6 to 7 to 7.1.1 I'd say it will be supported for a while now. My previous Android phone, a GS5 went from 4.x to 5 and to 6, about the same as, say a 4s (what was sold at the time).

Keep up the nonsense. It is quite comical

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
I don't give a **** about some video on Youtube. I've used them both side by side. The A7 is faster in day to day use than my 6+ is. And since the A7 came out in Summer 2016 and went from 6 to 7 to 7.1.1 I'd say it will be supported for a while now. My previous Android phone, a GS5 went from 4.x to 5 and to 6, about the same as, say a 4s (what was sold at the time).

Keep up the nonsense. It is quite comical

Keep telling yourself that lol I haven't seen one legit speed test where the iPhone loses. #lagg

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Those iPhone Ownership numbers correlate (well) to who is actually using the iOS App Store, at least here in the States ... specifically, ~80% are teenagers ... Apple knows this, and thats why you see Emojis, Stickers & GIFs in their TV commercials ... NOT Rocket Science, but most have NO clue.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Keep telling yourself that lol I haven't seen one legit speed test where the iPhone loses. #lagg

...or these devices and the suckers who buy them not abandoned by the manufacturer as soon as the cash is in hand.

Reactions: Ds6778

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
When mommy and daddy are footing the bill, everyone wants an iPhone! When the kiddies finally are pushed out on their own (or at least into the basement), suddenly that cheaper Android looks a whole lot more attractive! :D

As long as people agree that the only reason to buy android is price

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
For $399 the iphone SE is by far the better choice. Even a used 5s is better than most newer Android junkware.
Some of the new cheaper android phones from China are shockingly quite good. I still would not recommend them to a teenager. A lot of teens find their peer groups are at various stages on Apple devices. Some have access only to older iPhones. Some are still only on IPods or old family hand me down or shared iPads. The common denominator for all of these devices is iMessage. So a kid with the latest and greatest iPhone can still keep in touch with friends on older phones or Apple devices that are not even phones at all.

That, more than any "coolness factor" is why I see so many people-- young and older, gravitate toward iPhones. Texting on Androids, at least in the USA, is still a far from settled business. Google has made such a hash out of it.

I can be disgusted with Tim Cook all I like, and a budding Android fan girl, but that doesn't change the fact that Apple products are still ubiquitous in the USA and kids will find themselves shut out of some avenues of communication if they go with Android.

Reactions: Demo Kit

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006

LOL. I've got the proof - both side by side. The 6+ is slower hands down. But that's to be expected with a 2 year old device vs a "new" device. What was a shocker was how much better the GS5 performed vs the iPhone 6+. IMHO it has to do with the RAM - the wife's 6s is very speedy.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Some of the new cheaper android phones from China are shockingly quite good. I still would not recommend them to a teenager. A lot of teens find their peer groups are at various stages on Apple devices. Some have access only to older iPhones. Some are still only on IPods or old family hand me down or shared iPads. The common denominator for all of these devices is iMessage. So a kid with the latest and greatest iPhone can still keep in touch with friends on older phones or Apple devices that are not even phones at all.

That, more than any "coolness factor" is why I see so many people-- young and older, gravitate toward iPhones. Texting on Androids, at least in the USA, is still a far from settled business. Google has made such a hash out of it.

I can be disgusted with Tim Cook all I like, and a budding Android fan girl, but that doesn't change the fact that Apple products are still ubiquitous in the USA and kids will find themselves shut out of some avenues of communication if they go with Android.

Yes that's one factor, but that isn't the complete reason. A 5s is still a finely designed piece of electronics. It's gorgeous. It's a 64 bit device that is updatable to the newest iOS 10. It's less prone to malware than Android. Kids aren't stupid or blind. They know all of this.

Reactions: 5105973

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
LOL. I've got the proof - both side by side. The 6+ is slower hands down. But that's to be expected with a 2 year old device vs a "new" device. What was a shocker was how much better the GS5 performed vs the iPhone 6+. IMHO it has to do with the RAM - the wife's 6s is very speedy.

Like I said, keep telling yourself that lol whatever makes you feel better about what you have!

Reactions: bchreng and rp2011

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
Like I said, keep telling yourself that lol whatever makes you feel better about what you have!
Have you actually used an Android 7 phone with a quad core processor and 4GB RAM? Didn't think so. I didn't think a $400 phone could be this good either.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
Have you actually used an Android 7 phone with a quad core processor and 4GB RAM? Didn't think so.

c75142a1dd04d6ffec0a18b0fbc5506d.jpg

3be1250e6da521a14a4973964162c070.jpg

a2eadd64373b9bb383b15bf2dc2ef837.jpg

Yup I have :)
S7 edge
g6
Moto z

Reactions: bchreng

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
When the newest iPhone "features" are stickers, emoji's and animated message effects (things only teenagers can appreciate), it's understandable who the iPhone is for.

Watching the iPhone stickers commercial on TV, I was embarassed to even own one.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
When the newest iPhone "features" are stickers, emoji's and animated message effects (things only teenagers can appreciate), it's understandable who the iPhone is for.

Watching the iPhone stickers commercial on TV, I was embarassed to even own one.

So go get something else.

Reactions: bchreng

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Have you actually used an Android 7 phone with a quad core processor and 4GB RAM? Didn't think so. I didn't think a $400 phone could be this good either.
Just google speed tests and see the results for yourself and quit fooling yourself.

Reactions: Ds6778

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Just curious but, how many of you here with teens are planning to buy a $1000+ iPhones? I don't think too many teens can afford such devices, nor can they get a Next type plan because of their age. If I was Apple I would not count on quite so many sales.
During High School, I bought my first iPhone (iPhone 6) outright at the Apple Store on launch day. I worked my grocery store job all summer to save up $1000 to get a 64 GB phone and a case, plus pay for the plan.

Most kids can't do it, because their priorities are elsewhere, whether it be sports or a car or a girlfriend. Mine were just focused on tech products, which is why I didn't have my own car, or play sports. I'd wager that most high school kids with jobs could do it, it's just a matter of where their spending/saving is focused.

Reactions: Ladybug

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
No surprise there. The iPhone is an iconic device and is basically synonymous with the term "smartphone" in popular culture. Many teens would prefer to have an older iPhone over even the newest Android devices. Now with virtually all carriers now doing the $0 upfront payment plans, it's even easier for parents to get their kids the latest devices without giving up too much upfront cash.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I am interested to see how this changes with the end of subsidized pricing.

Many surveys have already found huge shifts in how younger people spend money - less on apparel and a lot more on certain electronics, with smart phones topping the charts. However, with the end of subsidized pricing, one is going to need a lot more expendable income to buy an iPhone. For some, this just might not be economically feasible if they have already directed most of their expendable income from other sources to phone expenses and this only covers what had historically been the $200/300/400 pricing classes based on contract renewal?

The increase in interest may be in response to the upcoming iPhone release - but the actual phone many teens wind up with may not necessarily be a 2017 iPhone, especially in regards to the anticipated flagship model with very high pricing? The Corvette ZR1 or Ford GT500 may increase the sales of other tiers (or even completely separate product families) and buying habits could be indirectly influenced by such.

Hasn't it been a couple years since carriers dropped contracts (and thus subsidized) prices? Have flagship smartphone sales fallen off a cliff as a result? I haven't noticed it.

Carriers now offer payment plans and tell you how much the phone will cost per month.

iPhone 7 starts at $27 a month. That's neither unmanageable nor is it out of line with other flagship phones. It's just the new normal.

There's this (strange) idea that when carriers dropped contracts and subsidies the result is "ZOMG nobody will be able to afford $800 phones!!!!"

But nothing really changed.

When the subsidized "$199" iPhone disappeared... the $27/mo iPhone took its place. And people kept buying them.

Sure... if the only way to get an iPhone was to produce $800 on the spot... then yeah... I can see people switching to cheaper phones.

But you never had to pay the full retail price of a phone. Then or now. There were always solutions.

Then it was contracts and subsidies... now it's payment plans.

The result is still the same though: you get to walk out of the store with a new phone without a huge outlay of cash.

wjw0111

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2016
Haha, I feel like I can still connect to this generation. I was pretty psyched to pay a premium to buy my iPod 3rd Generation (my first Apple product) back in 2003. I wasn't about to buy some cheap-ass MP3 player, I wanted the iPod. Loved that thing. Can still remember the orange light behind those 4 touch-based buttons... Touch wheel, not a click wheel...

Reactions: rp2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.