Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
confirmed what i thought and expected already. no more pixels to process? no more ram needed.
I will not be upgrading because its 100 usd higher price because this is not a pro model. this is an ipad air with 4 speakers and allow you to use a extra 100 usd pencil------while your ipad will wobble on its table because an protuding camera unless you also spend ~50 usd on a decent case.

im gonna wait until the iphone 7. if that still has an protuding camera i'm OUT. then i will get an adroid. Not that i like that, but apple is simply becoming less and less and less the apple that i have known a couple of years ago. protuding cameras, buggy software, mediocre upgrades in both software and hardware and still asking more and more euro for it.

Quicklite

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
confirmed what i thought and expected already. no more pixels to process? no more ram needed.
I will not be upgrading because its 100 usd higher price because this is not a pro model. this is an ipad air with 4 speakers and allow you to use a extra 100 usd pencil------while your ipad will wobble on its table unless you also spend ~50 usd on a decent case.

It's called the Pro though!

Reactions: Fzang

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
This is a shameful moneygrab by Apple.The device is nothing more than a Air 3.TC just gave it a "Pro" label and jacked up the price.2 GB of ram and an underclocked A9X prove this is NO pro device in the slightest.Even Surface 3 provides 4 gigs of RAM for sub 500 bucks

So this 9.7" Pro doesn't have a new screen (a better one than the 12" Pro), better camera (again, better than the 12" Pro), and support for Pencil?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I agree, but most people won't have a clue how much ram either model have and will be lining up to get the "pro" model and saying "wow, the pro is only 100.00 more than the air 2 was".

Who are these "most people" that are going to look at the old price of the Air 2 and say, hey, I only have to pay $100 more for really negligible upgrades other than pencil support and grin like they won the lottery? Why wouldn't they look at the current price of the Air 2 and ask "wait, this 32GB 9.7 Pro is $100 more than this 64GB Air 2."

I've said it here a few times but I'll repeat - 32GB, for me, is rather worthless. 128GB is great but not worth the price of admission. I'm sticking with my Air 2 even though I would love pencil support. Apple has under-configured me on one end of the spectrum and over-priced on the other.

Good news is the 9.7 Pro will likely soon get nice discounts like its 13" brother so this price hike will be neutralized and maybe then I'll consider.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
It is just not about the apps, but just how many app and/or safari tabs you can have on a running state. -
In real life this hasn't been a problem for me with my iPad Air 2. I'm more concerned about the time it needs to render a webpage the first time. The A9X runs at a much higher clock speed than the A8X. So there are benefits in single core speed.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

Last edited:
Reactions: blackcrayon

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I will not be upgrading because its 100 usd higher price because this is not a pro model. this is an ipad air with 4 speakers and allow you to use a extra 100 usd pencil------while your ipad will wobble on its table because an protuding camera unless you also spend ~50 usd on a decent case.

im gonna wait until the iphone 7. if that still has an protuding camera i'm OUT. then i will get an adroid. Not that i like that, but apple is simply becoming less and less and less the apple that i have known a couple of years ago. protuding cameras, buggy software, mediocre upgrades in both software and hardware and still asking more and more euro for it.

I am just assuming that you're seeing most of the Android Flagships also have protruding cameras, such as the S7 I have sitting on my desk.

Reactions: akdj and Max(IT)

blast87

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Really disappointed in the iPad Pro 9.7.

They essentially made an iPad Air 3 and used marketing to charge $100 more.
They should have at least put 4GB of RAM to match the 12.9" and the 'Pro' moniker.

Still have an iPad 2, will hold off now. Its these decisions that lead to iPad sales dropping every quarter. Either keep the price at $500 or increase the value of the product please.

Not to mention the same design they've been using since the iPad Air 1 (albeit a bit thinner). Where is the next jump in design and innovation?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
This is a shameful moneygrab by Apple.The device is nothing more than a Air 3.TC just gave it a "Pro" label and jacked up the price.2 GB of ram and an underclocked A9X prove this is NO pro device in the slightest.Even Surface 3 provides 4 gigs of RAM for sub 500 bucks

It's more than a worthy an upgrade to the Air 2, and it's the exact price everyone should have been expecting the 32GB model to be. Don't be so hung up on names.

Reactions: Max(IT)

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I was going to purchase the new iPad and now it comes out that it only has 2GB of RAM? Are you kidding me?? The same as iPhone SE or even my old iPad Air 2. Why the hack do you call it PRO? This is insane.. Now I'm really considering getting the big iPad Pro..

Lol "Apple keeps screwing over its customers, I guess I'll go buy their more expensive product, that will show them"

Reactions: lars666

jetho

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2016
I really don't know if I should buy one now. I was actually planning to replace my Air 1 with the new one. Mainly because of the RAM on the Air1 and because I made the stupid decision to only buy the 16GB version.
The Air 2 is actually a pretty good deal right now but I fear that there might be an Air 3 comming later this year. Plus I don't know how the Air 2 will work well with iOS 10 as it would ne 2years old at that time.

How does the Air 2 run on iOS 9.3?

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

dingclancy23

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
To be fair, the price of the new iPad Pro at 32gb is the same price of the 32gb iPad Air 2 before the event. So it is still a great upgrade.

It is not a "Pro" though.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
So this 9.7" Pro doesn't have a new screen (a better one than the 12" Pro), better camera (again, better than the 12" Pro), and support for Pencil?

Sorry, I'd group all of these in the natural progression of iPad development and as-to-be expected upgrades. I highly doubt Apple would produce a new iPad sans Pencil support within the next two generations, same for True Tone, same for cameras.

They may have given it to us earlier than the price-to-sell conversion warranted, similar to how they did the Mini 2 with Retina over the Mini price bump, but to generate an independent line that conflicts with your prior flagship... This just adds a bunch of features that further fragment an already crazy, unexplainable, and massive product family. Features that are going to be staples of the entire iPad line very shortly... leaving behind Airs, Mini's, and whatever else as alternative options and various features sets that make no sense to the average consumer.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Sure - if it makes you feel good calling it that!
No, it's rather more about what I prefer to be paying for that matters.
Some users don't buy their products just for the logo you know? Nor for a Pro tag, which would just be a tag. But then again, suit yourself. :)

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
who cares about the specs. Everything works well.

It works well, for now. I fully expect Apple to implement new "pro" software features in iOS10, and this will begin the slow down of the devices with only 2GB of ram. For me, I don't mind necessarily buying a new iPad every two years, but I don't think they should be considering this a "pro" machine with the same amount of ram as the cheapest iPhone.

RyanA

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
I got burned on the iPad 3 when I bought it upon release in March of 2012, only to have a faster iPad available just a few short months later. Despite that, I've been using the iPad 3 ever since. The battery has held up pretty well. It still lasts for about 50% of the time as it did when the device was new (which is pretty good in my opinion.) However, the subsequent iOS updates have slowed it down more and more with each passing version. Clearly the older processor and the small 1GB of RAM has a lot to do with it.

I'm not going to make a similar mistake with the 9.7 iPad Pro. Now that I see it only has 2GB of RAM, I am going to pass on this one, and use my iPad 3 for another year (or at least, until the next 9.7 iPad is released with more RAM.) With as expensive as these devices are, If I take good care of my device, I expect to have at least 3 or 4 years of pleasant and quality use out of them, before they no longer run the latest software pleasantly or the battery degrades too much.

No new iPad for me, at the moment. It would have been nice to multitask. But I'm not going to be short-sighted with my next iPad purchase. The quick cycle from iPad 3 -> newer iPad stung me too much.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
You guys need to understand something:

This is Apple - the king of money making or money grubbing.

Look, the whole point is to reap in as much cash as possible with the release of this bullsh_t recycled 2013 iPhone 5 - slap a new name call it iPhone SE - in reality they are making hand over fist huge margins considering the tooling, resources, assembly line parts all available. The most expensive is the display which they already have normalized down to a real good deal for Apple - recycling the old identical display. Who cares about 2GB ram for the iPhone SE??? It's a ridiculously small 4" 640p display panel. What do you need 2GB of ram for? You can barely text on that puny display. You might as well get a 3G watch and use that if you like small and discrete phones.

As for the 9.7" Pro - that PRO moniker needs to be removed. No doubt this is from Mr. Phil Scammer himself. You give it the Pencil support, new display with wider color gamut, a power GPU/CPU combo, 256GB space option but most importantly in the entire package is the system RAM and the USB interface is USB 2.0?! Whoever is making these decisions are clearly in it for the money.

I'm happy my IPP LTE has 4GB because this almost guarantees long life of use and at the moment, it's so butter smooth with multiple apps opened and I almost never get a crash except for some apple designed apps once in a blue moon.

Everyone is so gung ho happy about the iPhone SE they don't even realize it's the biggest recycled money making machine for Apple at the moment. You guys didn't even get the entire 15-20min of the initial presentation where some no-name woman comes on stage and keeps yapping about renewable energy and how Apple recycles and re-uses - even showing some home made robot doing the job of dismantling and recycling. It's to get that into your head it's OK to recycle old stuff and that's what makes it OK to rebuy the same identical iPhone 5S from 2013. Reality-distortion field on max.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It is just not about the apps, but just how many app and/or safari tabs you can have on a running state. -

You caught them. Opening up twenty tabs means more RAM will be used. Never ran into that issue, though.

Wow - I didn't know the difference made by the RAM is such a big difference. Looks as if going from 2 to 4GB is significant as going from iPad 1 to iPad 2 - former wasn't really usable with multi-tab.

Apple cheapens out on "Pro" spec in creating a "Pro" product with "Pro" Price.

Wait, what? You did pay attention to the test where they opened up 20 tabs, right? I doubt that being unable to open 20 tabs means it "isn't usable with multi-tab".

Reactions: Max(IT)
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.